If You Love dogs......

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
A tale of 3 rescues, the last one recently crossed the bridge at 15. My brother has always had 2 adopted goldens. The left one came at 8 years old from a family that couldn’t feed him. The right girl, at 18 months from a guy that didn’t think she would ‘get so big’. My little girl (60 lbs) was left in a foreclosed home. My dog spent so much time at my brother’s home, she thought she lived there. And the 2 resident dogs just took her in. We had many family gatherings at this home, and the 3 dogs would either sit under the table or an adjacent room when 15 people were eating. They never begged or whined for food, but as you can guess from this picture, they got a treat afterward. 2 passed at 14, the last girl at 15. Gosh they were such fun wonderful family members. They had good lives .

EC8F6B29-2501-43AF-875A-0F3925C98E3E.jpeg

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
A tale of 3 rescues, the last one recently crossed the bridge at 15. My brother has always had 2 adopted goldens. The left one came at 8 years old from a family that couldn’t feed him. The right girl, at 18 months from a guy that didn’t think she would ‘get so big’. My little girl (60 lbs) was left in a foreclosed home. My dog spent so much time at my brother’s home, she thought she lived there. And the 2 resident dogs just took her in. We had many family gatherings at this home, and the 3 dogs would either sit under the table or an adjacent room when 15 people were eating. They never begged or whined for food, but as you can guess from this picture, they got a treat afterward. 2 passed at 14, the last girl at 15. Gosh they were such fun wonderful family members. They had good lives .

friend had a goldie, his bark would rattle windows.. not constant barking, just one loud whoof... my friend taught his dog to "speak" at a variety of different words you might use in a conversation... someone would be talking and say one of these words and there'd come a large "whoof".. it was fun trying to figure out the words he taught him..

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
friend had a goldie, his bark would rattle windows.. not constant barking, just one loud whoof... my friend taught his dog to "speak" at a variety of different words you might use in a conversation... someone would be talking and say one of these words and there'd come a large "whoof".. it was fun trying to figure out the words he taught him..
I always love the big ‘whoof’. These 3 always whoofed at the deer in the yard, at least twice daily.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
It goes on and on and seems so hopeless for so many. Now and then, a dog and a human win this lottery. Starr and I did. But it sure is painful to watch.

We've won the lottery three times.

First, was a beautiful White GSD, who was only 8 hours from the needle when I drove 200 miles down to Dago to rescue her. The pounds thought she was feral, as she had been running wild for many months in a large urban park. Turns out she just needed a little stability and some love. She was an extremely intelligent, loyal, happy and loving dog. Absurdly easy to train. Loved everyone, except for a few - who needed to die as soon as possible (like the push-in bandits). My No. 1 Doggo.

Second, my Big Boy: Konig Shepherd/ Belgian Malinois mix, bred to be a police dog. With our success with Doggo No. 1, the GSD rescue agency trusted us with this handsome, but VERY headstrong boy. Stability and a constant, firm hand was all he needed. Loved kids. Had the greatest sense of humor I've ever seen in an animal. Wonderful, goofy dog, really in a tie with No. 1. Left us way too soon.

Third, my last Shep (for now), a Husky/ Shepherd mix. Our Fuzz Factory. Very different from the prior two. She was probably abused as a puppy, and we had to do a lot of work to resocialize her to a loving home and build her confidence. She came around, but was always a little reserved with humans. Still, she was a great, happy dog, wanting only to be within eye shot of her humans. And she loved her walkies... Definitely an old soul.

Last edited:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
We've won the lottery three times.
Previous dogs just came my way one way or another. I never chose one. The multitude of choices was a bit intimidating. I wanted a certain personality type. Did I pick the right one? I wanted interesting, outdoor fun-loving, rambunctious.

Hard to know what I missed but it's hard to imagine another dog being more right for me than Starr. When I get her wound up into a full Starrnado, there's nothing funnier.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Not if you have other dogs. Then it's a just another fun toy that hisses when they bite it.
Hah! I can see how that would happen but we didn't have that problem. Some are more destructive than others. Libby was pretty rough on frisbees. Got her a new one in 2013.
LibbyNewFrisbee2013w.jpg

Guaranteed tough play! And it lasted until 2017.

LibFrisHole.jpg

The replacement was about done when Libby died. I bought a few more and found they're making the new ones tougher. Starr has already destroyed Libby's old one and two of her three new ones.

F395

west mi
Here is Logan, he is 18 months old and is currently a professionally handled AKC breed dog. He is actively showed and currently is only 2 points away from his championship. As soon as he completes his title we get to pick him up. His owner is a feisty 72 years old super sweet lady, She wants him to do something after his show career is done and she does not have the ability to do anything with him.

Here is where the story gets weird as he is my current GSP Josie's uncle even though he is half her age. His father is Josie's grand father. There was some frozen sperm involved and that is where I lost interest.

All I know is I get a new friend.

logan.jpg

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Looks that way! Hard frisbees came back punctured and bent the first time Libby got hold of them. I don't want to waste one finding out how Starr treats them.

She hasn't yet managed to damage the Kong frisbee. Problem with those is they sink.
That's not a problem for a Chespeake. They'll be happy to dive for stuff. Our last one fetched up stuff from about 15 ft down, unfortunately he never came up with any 10mm sockets though.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
he still the best dog ever
Anyone who doesn't think that doesn't deserve the dog.
That's not a problem for a Chespeake. They'll be happy to dive for stuff. Our last one fetched up stuff from about 15 ft down, unfortunately he never came up with any 10mm sockets though.
Starr has a pond and doesn't know that she knows how to swim. I grabbed her and put her in deep water just to check and she quickly swam to shore and got out. She didn't seem to appreciate it. I immediately had yet another surgery and haven't been allowed in the pond since. Stitches come out today so I'll get back to introducing her to water.

So she's a pretty long way from picking up stuff off the bottom but she does like to plunge her whole face into the water, so that's a start.

Latest posts