Il Moro in North Vancouver

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Came across this beauty in North Van at Mosquito Creek yesterday. Surprised they made it into the lift there.

Anybody know what's going on with it?

3M9H0gUIMKVEp0gLoyb0uD0jQQiHD5VQ5jq9_YE65AR-30zpIV3KEbxAWbgV1UBxok0sSbbLoljncZ8t3L4OYPHbvLhz-anW9FHshBq62E-unQazTccODONWNNeQWG072w04vwl6XIIa87LkCCdx9DQbM8-Dmd7JHDww18Rp6EesV3SJ-ShRGeGRvrxKA9JlCUQvDqn7NIxRqvZqsijLuk9zXCj25XhXBQpIbcCuA125O3mN6moaEnFvbj7a8N0CDhijNOP-CYvLZsvS7JW9nJFndB3wUaF4nlqYe79azPau2A_cZmOWbHnfhgZofcoKCBZtYiig5ZLDCMLJ__ghzXLUfcOFQoLrODgkvsgFpWbCKHRYGzNXnZ1yi98dHB3ym_OlMxZ66Kp9oXxyZxFlywQwitx5uKn5J1bCYc_MiRbqJZh84-0E0iB9cEjgkAof9j85MmudgOKxq4pc4Wqq2SVFB5EwZDpurFBFS70iQh8SZ8xw-QlNGYv4OvIIl-ojXFBX8MGpNU2ZQZrL4dR_7e28A1LHA2tFRy6BcVKvJ8YA3LB-KlnIXo99zrgKsWU0SUgC4zyd8pKpI7By16boRvAkMISR-cnqmOg9QSmzJYSLNEV3fO08AYAbo8qbhn3Aqgd0PKBbqBfNZy3oy1jXj8gq25FMOFmXTEOHBXrSIAzPI0SVM1nvIysVLKJxW5kkSGJpFF7FUZktRCcPKJ09chhn=w758-h1009-no

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
A white elephant if there ever was.

Has use as a movie prop boat I suppose.  Maybe something like Wind 2.

it would be hilarious to see them throw up a "Whomper" on one of those new foiling AC thingies.

Maybe the Matthew Modine character can design one based on an old transformer toy and test it in his bath tub.

Frank White

The boat lived down on the Alameda Estuary till last summer. There was an article in Latitude 38 about a crew that sailed it north from the SF Bay Area to Vancouver. Better men than I...

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
The boat lived down on the Alameda Estuary till last summer. There was an article in Latitude 38 about a crew that sailed it north from the SF Bay Area to Vancouver. Better men than I...
Not unless there are now two old Il Moro's in Vancouver.  There has been one here for at least 10 years.  It only comes out a couple of times a year (usually 'Round Bowen Island Race), although one summer it was racing in Wednesday nights at Royal Van YC.

Frank White

Not unless there are now two old Il Moro's in Vancouver.  There has been one here for at least 10 years.  It only comes out a couple of times a year (usually 'Round Bowen Island Race), although one summer it was racing in Wednesday nights at Royal Van YC.
Well, Gardini built 5 Il Moro's, so it makes sense that the one down here wanted to join its friend up north?

There is just the one Il Moro here. The one that did RBR was sent to SF area about 3 or 4 years ago to be sold by the owner as he bought another, bigger boat for use up here. After it did not sell, his crew returned to CA and brought her back up here last year, and now she is back sitting where she used to sit at Mosquito Creek.

Needs a full set of sails and a rigging refresh from what I hear, and with no racing in the future looming I doubt she will see the water again for quite some time.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Talk about a pain mission.
That boat is floating trouble. bankrupted 2 previous owners. Even Russian related olygarghs found it too expensive to operate.  her bilge pumps need to operate as true as the magnetic compasses if she is to remain afloat underway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultraman

Anarchist
Vancouver
Here is an actual pic of Il Moro sitting in Mosquito Creek

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Moro_Challenge

Owned by a member of the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club.  Used to sail it around for fun and because he could. 

Always seemed to have a big smile and be enjoying himself when he took it out with his 25+ friends for Round Bowen or Easter Seals Charity Regattas. 

No one died, but I've heard it makes some scary noises.

Il Moro.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Looks kinda like an ugly Vo60? 
1st generation IACC boat.

Back when they were still experimenting with destroyer bows and rather caveman bulbs.

Which makes me wonder how valid VPP programs are if the presumably most advanced computer modelling back in the early 90's was telling them that within the confines of the IACC rule, a destroyer bow was better.

Yeah, there was the kiwi tandem keel boat (NZL 20?) that did quite well, but who knows how much of that was bow and how much was other stuff like the tandem foils or other parameters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an actual pic of Il Moro sitting in Mosquito Creek

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Moro_Challenge

Owned by a member of the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club.  Used to sail it around for fun and because he could. 

Always seemed to have a big smile and be enjoying himself when he took it out with his 25+ friends for Round Bowen or Easter Seals Charity Regattas. 

No one died, but I've heard it makes some scary noises.

View attachment 435791
Those things could make scary noises at the dock!

Frightening but in  a fun sort of a way.

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
1st generation IACC boat.

Back when they were still experimenting with destroyer bows and rather caveman bulbs.

Which makes me wonder how valid VPP programs are if the presumably most advanced computer modelling back in the early 90's was telling them that within the confines of the IACC rule, a destroyer bow was better.

Yeah, there was the kiwi tandem keel boat (NZL 20?) that did quite well, but who knows how much of that was bow and how much was other stuff like the tandem foils or other parameters.
VPP programs use ensemble data from existing hullforms to extrapolate / interpolate the new hullform's performance.  For the first generation of IACC boats, there would not have been much useful data to build the VPP database.

At that time, CFD programs were not very good at handling the air-water interface.  So most of the CFD analysis would have been focused on completely under the water portions (ie keel, bulb, and keel to hull interface), or sails.  Model testing was still a big part of things back then.  The America's Cup Museum in RI has a couple of the New Zealand "models" which are actually well over 20 feet long.