Il Mostro in the Mac

Nixon506E

I love hearing that Il Mostro will be sailing the Mac this year! Following the VOR so closely last time around it was absolutely a fast boat and the Ericsson team got lucky throwing money at their program and ending up with such a great crew! I can't wait to see what this boat can do on the Great Lakes. I know we won't be hearing nearly as much complaining about how the lakes don't provide real offshore racing after last years tragic events. I also know it may not be the southern ocean, with icebergs and the such, like the boat is used to. That leads to the boat going all that much faster and will make it truly exciting to see! I would love to hear more about the plan for the boat and who the crew will be! I'm always interested in crewing something of that caliber even if it's just for the Round the Island after the Mac is all done. Get us some more info and keep us up to date! I hope you keep up the great coverage of the Mac like last year! See you on the island!

Swanno

Super Anarchist
I love hearing that Il Mostro will be sailing the Mac this year! Following the VOR so closely last time around it was absolutely a fast boat and the Ericsson team got lucky throwing money at their program and ending up with such a great crew! I can't wait to see what this boat can do on the Great Lakes. I know we won't be hearing nearly as much complaining about how the lakes don't provide real offshore racing after last years tragic events. I also know it may not be the southern ocean, with icebergs and the such, like the boat is used to. That leads to the boat going all that much faster and will make it truly exciting to see! I would love to hear more about the plan for the boat and who the crew will be! I'm always interested in crewing something of that caliber even if it's just for the Round the Island after the Mac is all done. Get us some more info and keep us up to date! I hope you keep up the great coverage of the Mac like last year! See you on the island!
Money doesn't buy you luck and if your simply better than the competition has nothing to do with luck wither.

Agreed it is great to see the boat heading out to get used. Free advertising for Puma or have all the puma tags gone?

ILYAsailor90

Super Anarchist
PNW

ABN AMRO One did the Chicago to Mac race in 2006. It was pretty cool to see such a powerful boat up close. She sailed to windward of me for 40 mins and when the breeze got lighter she disappeared over the horizon.

Don’t think she will be doing the round the island race thou. 1.) Her draft is to deep 2.) Rocks, lots of them around Mac Island.

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
I assume the boat will not be able to tie up in the harbor at Mackinac due to keel depth issues. It would have been great to see the boat after the race.

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
Money doesn't buy you luck and if your simply better than the competition has nothing to do with luck wither.

Agreed it is great to see the boat heading out to get used. Free advertising for Puma or have all the puma tags gone?
I was wondering the same. Who owns her now? Puma still?

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
So who is putting the program together and bringing her to the Lakes? Who are the "well knowns" that will be sailing her while here (as mentioned on the Front Page)?

Nixon506E

I only meant that money doesn't always buy you the best team but all the right guys luckily agreed to join up and it worked out very nicely, making one of the best teams that the VOR has ever seen.

RiptideDesign

USA
It's great to see the old il Mostro back in action, curious to see if she will be campaigned for anything other then great lake regattas.... she should not be brought out there and left to die but rather taken to California next summer to do the transpac race which is the kind of race Volvo Boats are built for.

I wonder if the All American Ocean Racing Team will try and use her to train for their 2014-2015 VOR Campaign.... http://www.allamericanoceanracing.org/

Also does anyone else think that the last generation boats were overall faster downwind beast then the current ones racing... it might have something to do with all the sail restrictions they implemented because the new boats have yet to really come close to the current 24 hour record yet alone surpass the old ABN AMRO 2 record of 562NM.

mihnea

Toronto & SD
It's great to see the old il Mostro back in action, curious to see if she will be campaigned for anything other then great lake regattas.... she should not be brought out there and left to die but rather taken to California next summer to do the transpac race which is the kind of race Volvo Boats are built for.

I wonder if the All American Ocean Racing Team will try and use her to train for their 2014-2015 VOR Campaign.... http://www.allamericanoceanracing.org/

Also does anyone else think that the last generation boats were overall faster downwind beast then the current ones racing... it might have something to do with all the sail restrictions they implemented because the new boats have yet to really come close to the current 24 hour record yet alone surpass the old ABN AMRO 2 record of 562NM.
Ericsson 4 did 596nm last time around: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_sailing#Monohull.2C_any_number_of_crew

I think Camper did 520+nm on the 1st leg and GP4 and Puma have gone +25nm consistently, just not for 24h straight.