ILCA gives LPE the boot... seeking new Laser builder

torrid

Super Anarchist
What would be interesting is if instead of going the Torch/Laser clone route, the ILCA took complete ownership of the design manual and updated it.  Part of bring a new builder online could involve building a Laser hull with modern materials and techniques to make it cheaper and more durable.

Last edited by a moderator:

dgmckim

Anarchist
North Carolina
What would be interesting is if instead of going the Torch/Laser clone route, the ILCA took complete ownership of the design manual and updated it.  Part of bring a new builder online could involve building a Laser hull with modern materials and techniques to make it cheaper and more durable.
it'd be cool but they've been very clear about emphasizing consistency across boats to keep as many boats competitive as possible.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I think that's why ILCA took it over, to make sure there were no changes due to modern materials and techniques.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Great questions @Gouvernail. Would only add...

* What is it about this boat/class that seems to have all major players involved pursuing a scorched earth strategy? 

I can't see how the path that any of them are on is aimed at helping the majority of people that sail lasers. 

Board skiff

Super Anarchist
I lost track of the last round, but is the construction manual still under copyright and who owns it? 

I can see that ILCA can decide on who it permits to be a member (although even that is muddied as an Olympic class), but struggle to see how it can prevent LPE building Lasers. 

I know that LPE are not well regarded, but the principle that a company can design, build, market and supply a boat only for the owners club to somehow deny that company the right to do that seems weak. 

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
What is it about this boat/class that seems to have all major players involved pursuing a scorched earth strategy? 
My 2c: the market is established, strong, yet shrinking and without a clear growth path. This triggers a social response of doubling down on whatever strategy you're pursuing.

Jared Diamond's "Collapse" book is applicable here. "What was the Easter islander thinking as he chopped down the last tree?" 

Wavedancer II

Anarchist
When I first read the ILCA announcement, I got rather excited, in a (sort of) 'serves them right' way. But now that I have calmed down, I see many issues. Some of them have been pointed out already, such as the naming rights. Let me add that ILCA is facing substantial legal fees based on the likelihood of LP going to court.  I want to sail, and I really don't want my ILCA dues to be spent on legal fees. 

torrid

Super Anarchist
My 2c: the market is established, strong, yet shrinking and without a clear growth path. This triggers a social response of doubling down on whatever strategy you're pursuing.

Jared Diamond's "Collapse" book is applicable here. "What was the Easter islander thinking as he chopped down the last tree?" 
Sounds like something I read recently about newspapers.  Newspapers are of course dying, but there are still people who want a physical paper to hold in their hand while they drink their morning coffee.  Existing newspaper owners are conducting a scorched earth policy, setting very high subscription rates which they know those last few holdouts will pay.  They know the business is dying, but they want to extract every last cent from it before it goes belly up.

Wess

Super Anarchist
You need to come on down to Austin on Easter Weekend and tell the huge throng of Laser sailors what you think!!

https://americasfavoriteboatshop.com/36th-easter-laser-regatta

View attachment 303898
I wish I had gotten down there to your regatta one of the past years, but at this stage in life my racing days are behind me and I am headed off cruising with the wife again on a big tri we just refit.  So the Laser thing is mostly just of academic interest for me. Heck I am even selling the UFO which is the most fun I have ever had in a vertical position!! 

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Or the Torch or the 99er or... 

Did I miss the LPE response?  No press release, no nothing?  Just crickets??
LP did respond...

“ILCA statements are falsehoods and defamatory. We will fully protect and enforce our intellectual rights property, including Laser intellectual property. ILCA offices, now located in Austin, Texas, USA, should be moved back to the UK or EU, where over 75% of active Laser class members and sailors reside, managed by a full-time professional team paid for by the builders through increased plaque fees. LaserPerformance is proud and determined to continue to support Laser sailors and community around the world.”

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/03/28/battle-begins-for-laser-class-authority/

Daniel Holman

Anarchist
Just underlines the fact that there is beef between the two parties, and that whilst a new European builder would probably be good if it happened quickly and cleanly, I would expect that rasty won’t want to just roll over and let his cash cow go so laser customers will have more years of legal battles and all that means to look forward to. 

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
Its all very strange. It seems to me the only statement referring to LPE in that ILCA press release is

"the builder’s refusal to allow inspection of the boats being built in their manufacturing facility as required by that contract."

Easily proved if that is a falsehood and defamatory I should have thought. 

But to be honest I expect its just a standard phrase that lawyers always roll out, and one isn't really supposed to look for meaning in it.