Windward

Super Anarchist
V8 Gas  Full size 4x4 PU

Longbed

Standard Cab (these seem hard to find)

Steel wheels are ok

No lift or mods.

Canopy

I hear GM has pretty much dropped the ball on reliability.

Clean hates his Dodge

So sort of left with Ford.

Ford is my tentative preference.  What years to avoid?

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
In the PNW,  F Series get stolen almost as much as Honda's!

Make sure to get some sort of a kill switch to at least make it more difficult for the thieves.
Yes, tacke teh keyes oute the ingnitione................                    :)

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
'91-93 F-150 was my favorite, and I'd buy another one if I could get one. Do not buy a Dodge, unless you want to spend a lot of time, or money under the hood.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
'91-93 F-150 was my favorite, and I'd buy another one if I could get one. Do not buy a Dodge, unless you want to spend a lot of time, or money under the hood.
I adgree, butte I do notte haive the probelem withe Dodge thet you do.                                          :)

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I don't know about Mr. Clean, but a lot of truck guys have said that lately RAM has upped their game tremendously, while Ford has stumbled and Chevy quality has plummeted.  They now favor the 2019-2020 RAM 1500.

I do know that recent used F-150 V-8s are hard to find, and new ones could take you 2-6 weeks after ordering.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyclone

Super Anarchist
Maine
I own a 2009 Tundra work truck . 4wd, standard cab, 8ft bed. Nothing has needed fixing. Most of the earlier Fords and Chevys/GMC have gone through their original brake and fuel lines due to the brine put down in winter. Standard cab has considerable space behind the seats. No cruise, no central locks, roll up widows. A work truck. Great brakes, tows well.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Give this one a try https://www.carcomplaints.com/

I have used it several times and appears to be unbiased and reasonably accurate. Like all things there are lemons in any line, A few years ago I bought an 2004 F150 that was just to cherry to pass up, ratings were not that great but haven't had a hiccup yet. I have owned Ford trucks since 82 and have yet to have any problems - what you are looking for is tough because very few people buy trucks as trucks.  i tend to put a minimum of 200k and the last one was almost 300k with no big repairs.  I just noticed the post above and agree with it and it reminds me of a funny story - when shopping for a truck I was talking to my ex (super sweet lady) and they had a Tundra and she said it's a one ton. I mentioned that they were mostly half or perhaps 3/4 and she corrected me as it is a Tundra.  I just let that one go. Like I said, super sweet and nice,  just, you know. I know several guys that work their Toyota trucks hard and are happy.

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
I own a 2009 Tundra work truck . 4wd, standard cab, 8ft bed. Nothing has needed fixing. Most of the earlier Fords and Chevys/GMC have gone through their original brake and fuel lines due to the brine put down in winter. Standard cab has considerable space behind the seats. No cruise, no central locks, roll up widows. A work truck. Great brakes, tows well.
To the OP: Get the car buying apps and start searching... cargurus, autotrader, cavana, etc

I looked at used Tundras but they were the highest priced in the class. Maybe it was just the used inventory that I was looking at. However, with the extra Toyota sticker premium you get a heavier truck with a smaller engine, less power and towing capacity - but 'it's a toyota' didn't tilt my scale.

F150's seemed to be the same. I test drove a F150 with 40K+ plus miles, with a smaller engine and a higher price than the '16 Silverado with 22K miles that I ended up with.

I had/have no pickup brand loyalty, it's the first one I've ever owned. Very happy with my Chevy after 2 years and 30K added miles...

YMMV

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I looked at used Tundras but they were the highest priced in the class. Maybe it was just the used inventory that I was looking at. However, with the extra Toyota sticker premium you get a heavier truck with a smaller engine, less power and towing capacity - but 'it's a toyota' didn't tilt my scale.
whatever.. my 2002 tundra access cab is still going strong since i bought it new...  at the time it was competitive with all makes in its' class...   the 4.7 L v8 has been rock solid...   the problem with the tundra, back then, was you could get almost any variation of a f-150, not so much the tundra... don't know about now.. 

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
whatever.. my 2002 tundra access cab is still going strong since i bought it new...  at the time it was competitive with all makes in its' class...   the 4.7 L v8 has been rock solid...   the problem with the tundra, back then, was you could get almost any variation of a f-150, not so much the tundra... don't know about now.. 
In all fairness, we are talking 14 years apart...

I looked at '14 - '17 models. Different vintage than '02s!

vibroman

Super Anarchist
+1 on tundra. I have a 2011 limited. the iforce 5.7. 385k miles and i haven't even put plugs in it yet. Original tranny fluid. Change oil every 10k or so and 1set of rotors is about it. Spends a lot of time towing 10000lb trailers all over country. Granted this is not they long bed but they made them too

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Dunno how much you have to tow, but my 18 yo Nissan Frontier hauls a ton of driveway stone in the bed, easy peasy.  Have yet to tow a boat or anything, and it is only 6 foot bed.  I used to tow the Etchells with an older, smaller Nissan Hardbody, as well as the Beamer X3.  Okay for short hauls but I would want something bigger for longer trips.

V8 Gas  Full size 4x4 PU

Longbed

Standard Cab (these seem hard to find)

Steel wheels are ok

No lift or mods.

Canopy

I hear GM has pretty much dropped the ball on reliability.

Clean hates his Dodge

So sort of left with Ford.

Ford is my tentative preference.  What years to avoid?
Jeez, I've got a 2003 Dodge Quad Cab standard bed, V6 manual 2WD with 192,000 miles on it that meets none of your criteria.

Interested?

I adgree, butte I do notte haive the probelem withe Dodge thet you do.                                         
Me, either.  I've replaced the water pump (twice) and that's about it.  Been reliable as hell.