Impractical commuter boat

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
We took Kim's advice, have a offer out, should know in a week or so if it will come together GB 26 twin 150 Hondas Tiburon boat.  Practical for a few overnights per week to save on gas.  Had back to back 6hr commute days last week????!!! And summer hasn't started?? 430am to 830pm is not working, WSF pretty much suck.
I don't think I could have lived over here if I had to rely on the WSF system. Using my own commuter boats saved me HOURS over the WSF system.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
39 minutes ago, estarzinger said:

You guys are not keeping up.  the answer is obvious, you need a foiling hydrogen powered chase boat - 

m4900_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1649308608EE24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sugarbird

Caribbean
Budget is in the newish car-small truck range as that is what it will be subbing for.
Mmmm... part of the OP's criteria is that the boat would cost less that what, maybe $40k in today's topsy-turvey market? There are plenty of waaay cool boats around, but jeez, very few even consider affordability as part of their design criteria... but fun to dream about.

Just to torment me my friend from Maine just sent me this...

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2007-calvin-beal-28-7978938/

Right coast and exactly what I want but it's wood so a no go....for now... will keep a eye on it though.  I asked him about HP and he thought it was about right, his "race" lobster boat has modified stock engine that is making 850hp and he said he can get up to 1200hp out of it. People who own engine shops and boats can be dangerous.

Startracker

Van Isl.
that's cool as shit!
There's been a sistership floating around the gulf islands I think.  It was ticketed for carrying passengers per the ad that pops up every so often.  Apparently the new owner put a new outboard on it planning to do whale watching and then discovered it would foil nicely until you added passengers.  Doh.  Can't imagine logs would do it any favours either but it was neat.  He was down to 15k at one point.  

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Cool boat, hydrogen or not.

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/549_EMIRATES-TEAM-NEW-ZEALAND-TAKE-FLIGHT-IN-HYDROGEN-POWERED-FOILING-CHASE-BOAT.html

Chase Zero Key Specifications
LOA: 10.0m
Beam: 4. 5m
Draft: 2.2m
Foil configuration: Primary π-foil, single T-rudder
Displacement: 4800kg  (10,582 lbs.)
Fuel cells: 2 x Toyota 80kW
Motors: 2 x 220kW
Batteries: 2 x 42kWh
Tanks: 4 x 8kg Hydrogen @ 350bar
Cruise Speed: 30kts
Range: 180km (typical chase boat working cycle)
Top Speed: 50kts

View attachment 505317
crab and lobster ots will fek thios one pronto

Picked up the new car today.  Of course fog socked in and a ton of trees in the water from Gig Harbor till Elliot bay.  Boat is fine, trip home was about 1 hr exactly running light at 4k till agate then backing down to not be a douche.  Performance matches the cut sheet spot on. Definitely need some practice, way too used to heavy full keel schooner.  The reflex maneuvering not helping.

PXL_20220422_234056803.jpg

PXL_20220423_012002233.jpg

PXL_20220423_011551072.jpg

So we are a week in.  Have to say big kudos to Kim.  I don't think I would have ever considered the GB if it hadn't made number two on his list.  I had alot of buyers remorse initially that we went too big etc etc..  had a couple lumpy runs and it really just slides through it with no change in load.  We did our first overnight and it was very comfortable.  Have figured out the laundry day overnight once a week and it looks like we can count on a easy one hr dock to dock in most conditions at a very comfortable ride, can cut in half of needed.  We will leave at marina if the weather is ever way up.  Four hrs plus a day back in our lives is huge.  Now I'm OCDing on everything I want to make better but will have to wait some..  All in all has been a very good commuter boat so far.

sugarbird

Caribbean
Good for you, looks like a pretty bulletproof rig, good choice. I'm trying to envision running at speed at night with all the logs and junk in the water... sounds kinda nerve wracking? We hit a friggin' floating tree at 6 knots once at night on the sailboat down island, and it scared the hell out of me.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
So we are a week in.  Have to say big kudos to Kim.  I don't think I would have ever considered the GB if it hadn't made number two on his list.  I had alot of buyers remorse initially that we went too big etc etc..  had a couple lumpy runs and it really just slides through it with no change in load.  We did our first overnight and it was very comfortable.  Have figured out the laundry day overnight once a week and it looks like we can count on a easy one hr dock to dock in most conditions at a very comfortable ride, can cut in half of needed.  We will leave at marina if the weather is ever way up.  Four hrs plus a day back in our lives is huge.  Now I'm OCDing on everything I want to make better but will have to wait some..  All in all has been a very good commuter boat so far.
I have only casually followed this thread so, despite a couple of photos and cryptic references, didn't see any clear statement on what you ended up with?  This reference to "number two on [Kim's] list" got me searching but his list in this thread shows #2 to be a "28’ EagleCraft Crewboat (rugged, single diesel, solid aluminum construction..." which doesn't match the twin outboards in your photos.  On April 10 you described it as "GB 26 twin 150 Hondas Tiburon boat" which isn't explicit enough for me.  But putting these three posts together, I'm guessing you got #5 on Kim's list?

"5. 26’ Glacier Bay Catamaran (maybe best all around choice, twin 150hp OB’s, handled all conditions very well, comfortable ride. Even took it cruising once with SWMBO.)"

A Google search for "Glacier Bay Catamaran Tiburon" finds nothing related to "Tiburon" but I found several references to 'Glacier Bay 2680 Coastal Runner' glacier-bay-2680-coastal-runner-34667020142755505569486857674567x.jpg

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boats/glacier-bay-2680

and its apparent successor, the 2780: https://boattest.com/node/71927

Just in case anyone else is confused...

Sugar, logs and fog will slow things down for sure.  Fogust can be though here.  We have flexibility on both our jobs so most likely will do some adjustments as we figure it all out. See logs pretty much every day crossing so running in the dark will not happen much for now. 

Proa you have too much free time...