Impressed by New Zealand

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
I must say that I am impressed by NZ's response to the mosque attacks. Seems to me that every turn they have handled a very difficult situation with grace and intelligence. The PM has shown what true leadership is all about.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Just seeing an entire country pull together, and the leadership required to do that is impressive.  In another place, "leaders" would use such an event as a mechanism for dividing the country. 

I hate more than anything to see this aspect of our culture exported to NZ, but I am most impressed with the response of the Kiwi people. 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Just seeing an entire country pull together, and the leadership required to do that is impressive.  In another place, "leaders" would use such an event as a mechanism for dividing the country. 

I hate more than anything to see this aspect of our culture exported to NZ, but I am most impressed with the response of the Kiwi people. 
They actually think running around shooting people is bad. Must be one of those 1st world countries I have read about. I may look into this idea further.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
Such a contrast with the US gun nut crowd. Seems the whole country, including most gun owners (and there are lots of them) are on board with the PM’s new policies. 

•  

Until today I was one of the New Zealanders who owned a semi-automatic rifle. On the farm they are a useful tool in some circumstances, but my convenience doesn’t outweigh the risk of misuse. We don’t need these in our country. We have make sure it’s #NeverAgain

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
OZHUBLIIBZCPXHXY7LUKRWHV6U.jpg

Police officer Michelle Evans standing guard with a rose and a hijab at funerals in Christchurch.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Shhh don’t tell Jeff, he’s never met a girl with a gun that didn’t like.

Besides his keyboard might get icky :D

mikewof

mikewof

Why does the USA have to accept ownership of psychopathic terrorism like that? Why not France or Norway or Russia?

mikewof

mikewof
Last edited by a moderator:

mikewof

mikewof
WOF he’s talking about leadership and their divisive nature in the US not terrorism .
Ah, makes sense, thank you.

Our leadership is usually decent with progressive attitudes ... with the exception of a recent, unnamed handful of scoundrels, of course. 

We do pretty well with Islamic multiculturalism here. Our scoundrels hate the Mexicans. The Mexicans are too busy working their asses off to pay them any mind.

It brings a funny memory to mind though ... when I lived in Alabama, our town had one little mosque, and they had a decent little playground in the yard, I took my kids to play there regularly, unlike the church playgrounds, nobody gave us any stress and it was close to our house. One of the Muslims there was a convert, you couldn't have picked a more stereotypical Alabama redneck, he drove a lifted pickup, bull balls on the trailer hitch and a "Get 'er Done" back window sticker. He pulls into the parking lot, his fellow Mosque worshippers know him, but have no idea how hilarious was the juxtaposition, he was nothing out of the ordinary for them. They were mostly from Muslim countries, studying or teaching at the university, I guess they didn't see the inherent Saturday Night Live skit that unfolded in front of their eyes every Friday afternoon with that guy.

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
Why does the USA have to accept ownership of psychopathic terrorism like that? Why not France or Norway or Russia?
You don't. You need to accept ownership of a sociopathic leadership that would use situations like this to divide the country rather than bring it together. 

New Zealand, as individuals and as a country, have shown the way to unite a country in the face of tragedy. It would do all of our countries good to pay attention and try emulating their example. 

mikewof

mikewof
You don't. You need to accept ownership of a sociopathic leadership that would use situations like this to divide the country rather than bring it together. 

New Zealand, as individuals and as a country, have shown the way to unite a country in the face of tragedy. It would do all of our countries good to pay attention and try to emulate their example. 
I agree. New Zealanders are a cut above. They make us Yanks and you Aussies look ethically bankrupt some of the times.

If it was up to me, I would be okay if the America's Cup never left Aukland, those guys have made the race more interesting than any other point in my life.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
It brings a funny memory to mind though ... when I lived in Alabama, our town had one little mosque, and they had a decent little playground in the yard, I took my kids to play there regularly, unlike the church playgrounds, nobody gave us any stress and it was close to our house. One of the Muslims there was a convert, you couldn't have picked a more stereotypical Alabama redneck, he drove a lifted pickup, bull balls on the trailer hitch and a "Get 'er Done" back window sticker. He pulls into the parking lot, his fellow Mosque worshippers know him, but have no idea how hilarious was the juxtaposition, he was nothing out of the ordinary for them. They were mostly from Muslim countries, studying or teaching at the university, I guess they didn't see the inherent Saturday Night Live skit that unfolded in front of their eyes every Friday afternoon with that guy.
Hah! My brother is one of those inherently-funny people (at least, to most Japanese). He spent five years in Japan but he lived with Japan's version of rednecks in the mountains and has their accent. Imagine a native Japanese person speaking like a Bama Billy. It doesn't matter what he says, it's funny.