Improbable

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Rudder pdf shows shaft OD tangent to the profile. Assuming the shaft is made first, isn’t a significant skin thickness needed or is this symbolic/magically 3D printed?

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
I think the drawing is a bit symbolic.  Nowadays the the laminate details of the skins to the shaft can be rather complicated, as the skins might actually wrap some around the shaft.  Which could be complicated to draw, and it isn't a full structural diagram anyhow...

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I had an award winning Mechanical Engineer design a “zero material thickness” computer frame that could only be unfucked by a custom screw machine run leaving 9,900 in inventory from the 10,000 minimum order. The ME was related to the owner so not fire-able I left them in inventory instead of obsoleting them. We were building 10 units per quarter so had no other inventory above 50 units. It really stood out on a quarterly report. My tribute to nepotism. 

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
That is a hilarious story!  Good thing I'd already finished dinner, or I would have spewed my Thai curry all over the table.

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
Hi Bruce,

A tangential story for you. In Fall 2019 when visiting Betts to see one of the carbon cutters, I noticed Improbable in the front yard and took a photo that I posted here when I finally understood what she was. Fast forward to Fall 2021 I was back in Anacortes and on the lookout for a spinnaker pole to take to my PSC34 I had bought in Panama, Sea Change, sans pole. We visited Betts again and saw some progress on Improbable, then noticed a rigger working out of a container across the road, and asked him if he knew where I could find an old pole. He pointed me to Northern Rigging around the corner, saying there were a couple in their side yard. And indeed there was a beauty, 12 ft and perfectly neglected but seeming capable of resurrection. And an even worse shape 8ft whisker pole that could in theory extend to 15 ft, but was a little bent. Anyway, guy running the place turns up and says $100 for both! I also bought a ring for the mast from him for nearly the same price!

Now to get them to Panama, so I cut the pole in half, because by perfect chance it has a sleeve riveted to the middle of it that was slightly thinner material that the pole itself, hence I could order 3 ft of aluminum pipe the next OD up and it fit perfectly over the sleeve. I put the whole lot in a ski bag and told the American Airlines agent they were for a race boat in Panama to qualify as sports equipment. And today the pole is reassembled with sturdy rivets holding it together and the whisker pole is bolted tight, and they have served as struts to hold out my 100% jib and staysail, respectively, for several thousand miles of downwind tradewind sailing to French Polynesia, where I am writing this in Rotoava in Fakarava atoll in the Tuamotus. They should see me around the world. And all thanks, tangentially, to you, Improbable, and this thread. Thank you!

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
Hey folks, the "Project Improbable" website has been getting updated. Check out the new "The Project" page, with an overview of my whole crazy vision/dream, and links to dedicated pages describing the various key areas of the renovation: https://www.projectimprobable.com/about-2
A lot of info recently added, and even more coming soon...

Of course I'll be posting the nitty gritty here as I go along. Next trip westward for a dedicated work session will be Aug 30 through Oct 4.

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
Wow, I sure have been slacking on the updates here. Need to fill in the blanks on the www.projectimprobable.com website as well. Work has been really getting in the way, keeping me planted here in Maine. But....we're hiring more help soon so hopefully someday I won't be working on other folks boat's every day till I kick the bucket... On the good side, have been able to sneak in biking here & there. Also built up a nice tandem to ride with Rosalea. Having her on the back is better than having an E-Bike...

IMG_20220725_072657.jpg

IMG_20220725_072730.jpg