INEOS Team GB

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
Ineos use specially developed screens viewable in strong sunlight with unusually high refresh rates for the data demands. These would be easily legible from drone POV's. If there are similar POV's of ETNZ showing data screens then it would be good to see.

barfy

Super Anarchist
Ineos use specially developed screens viewable in strong sunlight with unusually high refresh rates for the data demands. These would be easily legible from drone POV's. If there are similar POV's of ETNZ showing data screens then it would be good to see.
I thought the displays were tailored for polaroid glasses. Surely the data can't be digested faster than half the twitch rate of 60fps. Which is pretty normal refresh.

buckdouger

Anarchist
Well, show me footage with blurred bits everywhere...like the spies don't see everything mega stabilized. Especially if it's old footage as you say.

I don't get it.
I don't think the spies see much that is visible from above given the rules prohibition on drones etc. 

Laurence

They should stipulate in the rules that during the build and testing a live camera is attached to the back of all development boats with GPS speed tracking.

Be amazing to see how all the boat speed compares during development also watch the build process would be fascinating.  I suspect it would make the final races far more competitive. 

I'm sure there would be plenty of bloggers on youtube willing to pull together all the interesting sections. 

Most of the teams will have spies out there and they will know how fast the competitors are..

What a great build-up to the race..

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Anyone know when Britannia II will be on the Antonov to AUK? 

That Ineos video with the grinder was about a week ago, he must be close to being released from quarantine. Good chance B2’s arrival is also imminent. 

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
Anyone know when Britannia II will be on the Antonov to AUK? 

That Ineos video with the grinder was about a week ago, he must be close to being released from quarantine. Good chance B2’s arrival is also imminent. 
Yup, makes sense, if Britannia I's coming it's by ship. Besides we'll know if an Antonov lands in the south of England soon enough. And we'll certainly when one lands in Auckland. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Besides we'll know if an Antonov lands in the south of England soon enough. And we'll certainly when one lands in Auckland. 
Agreed about Auckland but just for fun I checked FlightRadar today and didn’t see any Antonovs in the air to NZ. Will keep checking, just for fun, maybe it will be the same flight crew who posted a few teasers about their AM2 cargo. 

Boink

Super Anarchist
They should stipulate in the rules that during the build and testing a live camera is attached to the back of all development boats with GPS speed tracking.

Be amazing to see how all the boat speed compares during development also watch the build process would be fascinating.  I suspect it would make the final races far more competitive. 

I'm sure there would be plenty of bloggers on youtube willing to pull together all the interesting sections. 

Most of the teams will have spies out there and they will know how fast the competitors are..

What a great build-up to the race..
Do not agree with your idea at all.

I have found it almost refreshing that we have not had the build up series races in locations, where supporters of teams doing badly would deflect their deficiencies by qualifications of "different venue, sea state, wind, water clarity, sandwich filling or caffeine content in their espresso......." etc as justification.

This unusual series of events has at least meant that every one and any one will be glued to see the outcome come Christmas Race Time. the amount of speculation and hand wringing is good to see. We are seeing real High stakes poker unfolding. 

Your proposal of open source data logging would lead to the most elaborate sand bagging and Wild Oats inspired loss of AIS data and other such Bullshit as to make a mockery of any such proposals.

It's both artificial and likely to massively increase participation costs as teams get respondingly creative to hide their "magic silver bullet" developments. And that would lead to even less teams being able to compete in each cycle - which is not what we want. 

The Open(ish) and inclusive environment that the IMOCA's have around Lorient is probably the best that we could hope any fleet aspires to. 

Laurence

Do not agree with your idea at all.

I have found it almost refreshing that we have not had the build up series races in locations, where supporters of teams doing badly would deflect their deficiencies by qualifications of "different venue, sea state, wind, water clarity, sandwich filling or caffeine content in their espresso......." etc as justification.

This unusual series of events has at least meant that every one and any one will be glued to see the outcome come Christmas Race Time. the amount of speculation and hand wringing is good to see. We are seeing real High stakes poker unfolding. 

Your proposal of open source data logging would lead to the most elaborate sand bagging and Wild Oats inspired loss of AIS data and other such Bullshit as to make a mockery of any such proposals.

It's both artificial and likely to massively increase participation costs as teams get respondingly creative to hide their "magic silver bullet" developments. And that would lead to even less teams being able to compete in each cycle - which is not what we want. 

The Open(ish) and inclusive environment that the IMOCA's have around Lorient is probably the best that we could hope any fleet aspires to. 
You're not forced to watch it or follow the development. What makes for good watching is for the boats to be competitive.  If the team you support is 10 knots off the pace, how many races are you going to watch them getting thrashed before you get bored and turnover to coronation street? It's just as boring if your team is winning embarrassingly easily.

The best Americas cup races have been when it's competitive.

The race is all about technology, it's really a technology race, sailing comes second so let's make it more of one.   Let's watch the teams progress.

If a team has a magic bullet lets see when they reveal it and watch the other teams frantically make changes. 

When would they show there the hand of what they have built and how much time on the water to they get to test it? 

You could have a team with no money sit in the background build a last-minute boat and still be competitive. 

It's easy enough to incentivise the teams to keep the cameras and data loggers working. Every minute sailing without incurs a 1-second penalty at the start. 

You're not forced to watch it or follow the development. What makes for good watching is for the boats to be competitive.  If the team you support is 10 knots off the pace, how many races are you going to watch them getting thrashed before you get bored and turnover to coronation street? It's just as boring if your team is winning embarrassingly easily.

The best Americas cup races have been when it's competitive.

The race is all about technology, it's really a technology race, sailing comes second so let's make it more of one.   Let's watch the teams progress.

If a team has a magic bullet lets see when they reveal it and watch the other teams frantically make changes. 

When would they show there the hand of what they have built and how much time on the water to they get to test it? 

You could have a team with no money sit in the background build a last-minute boat and still be competitive. 

It's easy enough to incentivise the teams to keep the cameras and data loggers working. Every minute sailing without incurs a 1-second penalty at the start. 
Would be fun to watch.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Well, show me footage with blurred bits everywhere...like the spies don't see everything mega stabilized. Especially if it's old footage as you say.

I don't get it.
The blurred areas could be gauges indicating speed, etc... 

The spies do not have a drone flying above and next to the boat!