INEOS Team GB

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Sailing soon.

EK4QTNPWkAA-qYb.jpg

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
TNZ sectional garage doors came all the way from Finland much more reliable although not exactly supporting the local door industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Anyone have an explanation for the zigzag line on the foresail? Different materials/construction techniques in the same sail?
I think this might be where the larger sails are laid up on the molds in multiple pieces and then scarfed together - if i understand it correctly then it's quite literally a 45° scarf joint that is glued together....

Lakrass

Last edited by a moderator:

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Vast cost of competing in America’s Cup raises questions for sponsors

https://www.ft.com/content/cfc0d884-f004-11e9-a55a-30afa498db1b
It's an entirely reasonable concern - I think putting aside the fact it's a pinnacle league that ultimately has massive costs, everyone including GD agrees on the problem... where there is less consensus is in what the solution should be, and sadly this appears to be drawn along partisan lines... if you are a challenger then whatever the defender does is unlikely to be appropriate in your eyes...

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Not clear how popular or sponsorable a buck$ rule capping spending instead of a measurement based rule would be.  

The loss from not having more challengers, how does one quantify that?

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
An article that references the FT one posted above

Sir Ben Ainslie blasts America's Cup costs and impact on Auckland 2021

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/117987495/sir-ben-ainslie-blasts-americas-cup-costs-and-impact-on-auckland-2021
Thats an embarrassing example of how a reasonable interview is churned into clickbait - Stuff can't even bring themselves to attribute to the story to a writer...

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 9.00.17 AM.png

Turns out he'll be waiting for a while to win... poor sod

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
An interesting quote from GD

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton backed that up and offered the best way to keep costs down.

"It's the payroll, not the boat. Sixty per cent of the cost of an America's Cup team is the people," Dalton told The Financial Times and said Team New Zealand were fortunate to have loyal staff willing to accept lower wages than those on offer from a "mercenary team".
"People will spend huge amounts no matter what cost control there is," Dalton said.

He noted Team New Zealand's US$50m 2017 budget was dwarfed by most of their rivals and he estimated the Kiwi budget would again be about half of the other heavyweight teams at Auckland 2021