INEOS Team GB

southseasbill

Super Anarchist
44 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Great to get to chat to Freddie Carr and as a veteran of five Cup campaigns he has so much to say. 
Lots of fascinating stuff here:

• Changing roles of grinders IACC -AC75
  • Is foiling good for the Cup?
  • The efficiency of the 6 man grinding squad
  • Port V Starboard: who's stronger?!

No racing today, so grab a coffee and take a listen.

Awesome interview. Thanks for that Mozzy.

AeroSail1

Netherlands
@Mozzy Sails Awesome interview. From what he said at minute 37 it seems like they are using a CVT gearbox in their grinding setup. Would not be surprised as they always mention how proud INEOS is of their power management and also given the involvement of the Formula 1 team. 

strider470

Super Anarchist
7 minutes ago, AeroSail1 said:

@Mozzy Sails Awesome interview. From what he said at minute 37 it seems like they are using a CVT gearbox in their grinding setup. Would not be surprised as they always mention how proud INEOS is of their power management and also given the involvement of the Formula 1 team. 

At LR, given the lack of results Ferrari had of recent, they preferred not to ask them :D

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Seems clear to me that they had all the elements of a competitive campaign, but they just made some bad design choices. That's not money, or whether you are a challenger or a defender. That is a combination of bad luck and lack of brilliance.

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
Seems clear to me that they had all the elements of a competitive campaign, but they just made some bad design choices. That's not money, or whether you are a challenger or a defender. That is a combination of bad luck and lack of brilliance.
I think it can also happen with a whole bunch of clever folks who just don't quite gel and figure out what the priorities are to concentrate on.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth."

Last edited by a moderator:

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
9 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Great to get to chat to Freddie Carr and as a veteran of five Cup campaigns he has so much to say. 
Lots of fascinating stuff here:

• Changing roles of grinders IACC -AC75
  • Is foiling good for the Cup?
  • The efficiency of the 6 man grinding squad
  • Port V Starboard: who's stronger?!

No racing today, so grab a coffee and take a listen.

Great stuff, thanks so much!

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Look, I don't approve of cheating or tilting the playing field too much (like the NYYC did in the olden days), but Ben needs to pull his panties up.

They lost. They lost badly in Bermuda and they lost here.

Rather than calling for the AC to be run like a kindergarten competition where everyone gets a medal, he needs to face facts.

For whatever reason, the team created an inferior boat BOTH times and I doubt that team in its current incarnation could have won the cup even with all the advantages of defender.

What concerns me is that if they look for blame outside the team, they will miss the opportunity to be honest about what was wrong inside the team and history will repeat.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Look, I don't approve of cheating or tilting the playing field too much (like the NYYC did in the olden days), but Ben needs to pull his panties up.
In the very-very olden days, yes maybe. But the NYYC moved progressively over decades to make it more ‘fair’ - especially once they accepted the multi-Chall scenario starting in 1970. 

Ben and Ratcliffe’s biggest gripe appears to have been the (yes, unprecedented unfairness) of ETNZ developing the Rule without the input, or even the listening in on, by other teams. I can’t see them signing as CoR come a week from today (Sunday NZ time) without that and maybe other standards getting addressed first. 

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
In the very-very olden days, yes maybe. But the NYYC moved progressively over decades to make it more ‘fair’ - especially once they accepted the multi-Chall scenario starting in 1970. 

Ben and Ratcliffe’s biggest gripe appears to have been the (yes, unprecedented unfairness) of ETNZ developing the Rule without the input, or even the listening in on, by other teams. I can’t see them signing as CoR come a week from today (Sunday NZ time) without that and maybe other standards getting addressed first. 
Any perceived unfairness was certainly not unprecedented. There were more unfair defenders in the Cup's history, e.g. the NYYC comes to mind, for approx. a century.

Gissie

Super Anarchist

Be interesting to see of Ben is happy to sign over any potential advantage of being COR once/if he holds the reins. Or, more sensibly, keeps that little edge over any other challengers.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Be interesting to see of Ben is happy to sign over any potential advantage of being COR once/if he holds the reins. Or, more sensibly, keeps that little edge over any other challengers.
Most unlikely. What we have, we hold. On the other hand, if commercial considerations rule the day then a level playing field with more entrants might be preferred. Competitive v Commercial?