INEOS Team GB

XPRO

On The Water
Sir Jim comes out supporting his doping cycling team manager.... Marginal gains?  Sure it happened in the past, before he took the "owner" role but everyone knew SKY riders were on TUEs and now worse evidence given the court case last week... Does it relate to the AC, not really, but it does go to how one plays the game.   Good to see that by not asking his team principal if they were doping he keeps his hands clean - "Ratcliffe said he has not yet spoken to team principal Brailsford after former Team Sky doctor Richard Freeman was struck off by a medical tribunal" 

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/dave-brailsford-has-my-full-support-says-ineos-owner-jim-ratcliffe-494433

Last edited by a moderator:

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
What is this bridge event/full event bullshit and why are people drinking the koolaid?

Both of them are full events, there is no fucking 1/2 AC, exhibition AC or shits and giggles AC, the is just the AC FFS.

Will it really take someone winning a 1/2 AC, exhibition AC or shits and giggles AC turning around and saying, rigtheo it ours now, for people to see this is a bullshit idea?

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I can see why Sir James and GD might get on. I must admit, I'm starting to warm to the guy.
Grant Dalton & Sir Jim Ratcliffe will try to make 2024 the best Cup possible! But how do you keep the interest up and built upon the success of AC36?
No one is helped when these magnificent AC75 are spent in the boatshed for the next 3 years. The potential 1 - 1 Challenge would most definitly keep the interest among the public going.

The Coverage in the UK, USA during AC36 was pretty much non-existent, very tepid!

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
What is this bridge event/full event bullshit and why are people drinking the koolaid?

Both of them are full events, there is no fucking 1/2 AC, exhibition AC or shits and giggles AC, the is just the AC FFS.

Will it really take someone winning a 1/2 AC, exhibition AC or shits and giggles AC turning around and saying, rigtheo it ours now, for people to see this is a bullshit idea?
There really is no upside is there? 

If ETNZ host the event in a 1 vs 1 in UK and lose, they are well and truly fucked:

* NZ people and Government will shun them once and for all.

* They will lack the leverage of current cup holder to take into any negotiations with sponsors.

* Jim Ratcliffe seems to have squashed the idea of INEOS providing funding for the event.

So this can surely only be a bargaining chip to use against the NZ government.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
@jaysper

Whether it's a bargaining chip or not these AC75 need to race again! Waiting until 2023 or 2024 to have any AC-related Event is bad.

The ACWS Event in between AC34 and AC35 were the best thing that ever happened to the Cup and so were the LV Acts between 2004-2007!

Last edited by a moderator:

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I agree, but it should be an ACWS event buildingto 2024 by which time new competitors will have been given sufficient time to establish teams and build a boat.
COVID19 pretty much dictates what will happen with any Sporting Events over the next few years. How do you find a "Safe City/Town" in the Northern Hemisphere within a convinient Time Zone to host an ACWS Event.

They cannot afford having a similar scenario to what happened with Cagliari & Portsmouth 2020. You put all the effort in to host the Event and then you have to blow it off because of COVID!

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
There really is no upside is there? 

If ETNZ host the event in a 1 vs 1 in UK and lose, they are well and truly fucked:

* NZ people and Government will shun them once and for all.

* They will lack the leverage of current cup holder to take into any negotiations with sponsors.

* Jim Ratcliffe seems to have squashed the idea of INEOS providing funding for the event.

So this can surely only be a bargaining chip to use against the NZ government.
Frankly, if I was the NZL gov I would be saying to GD, "well mate, you seem to have your funding so there will be nothing from the NZL people, have a great Cup in the UK and good luck"

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
COVID19 pretty much dictates what will happen with any Sporting Events over the next few years. How do you find a "Safe City/Town" in the Northern Hemisphere within a convinient Time Zone to host an ACWS Event.

They cannot afford having a similar scenario to what happened with Cagliari & Portsmouth 2020. You put all the effort in to host the Event and then you have to blow it off because of COVID!
How is a BullshitAC any different?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Ratcliffe may be a billionaire, but he’s an amateur when it comes to the AC. By this statement, anyone of us on SA could tell him it’s a fucking bad idea for GD, NZ, Britain ETNZ and INEOS Team UK. No one wins anything from it in any shape of form. Ratcliffe wants a 1 on 1 race in the UK, giving the finger to NZ, but Ratcliffe isnt prepared to fund it, so someone still has to pay for it, so he wants Dalton to negotiate with commercial benefactors (in other words pay for it) then come back to NZ where ETNZ runs the risk of not only no Government financial contribution but having potentially hostile public reaction and a smaller pool of challenging teams, while still having to find money to pay for that too! Meanwhile the UK crowd is left high and dry again even if they win the DoG match! Seems like a lose/ lose deal to pretty much everyone, all so Ratcliffe gets his little bit of “Magic”

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Ratcliffe may be a billionaire, but he’s an amateur when it comes to the AC. By this statement, anyone of us on SA could tell him it’s a fucking bad idea for GD, NZ, Britain ETNZ and INEOS Team UK. No one wins anything from it in any shape of form. Ratcliffe wants a 1 on 1 race in the UK, giving the finger to NZ, but Ratcliffe isnt prepared to fund it, so someone still has to pay for it, so he wants Dalton to negotiate with commercial benefactors (in other words pay for it) then come back to NZ where ETNZ runs the risk of not only no Government financial contribution but having potentially hostile public reaction and a smaller pool of challenging teams, while still having to find money to pay for that too! Meanwhile the UK crowd is left high and dry again even if they win the DoG match! Seems like a lose/ lose deal to pretty much everyone, all so Ratcliffe gets his little bit of “Magic”
There will be an Event in Portsmouth no matter what! As Ratcliffe pointed out there were supposed to be two ACWS Events in Cagliari and Portsmouth 2020.
Maybe instead of a DoG 1 - 1 Challenge there will be a ACWS Event!

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Frankly, if I was the NZL gov I would be saying to GD, "well mate, you seem to have your funding so there will be nothing from the NZL people, have a great Cup in the UK and good luck"
That's pretty much my feeling too.

GD has played this game so many times before, it is just old and stale now.

It seems that ETNZ has proven that a commercially funded team is not possible, so perhaps its time to not bother any more?

Latest posts