INEOS Team GB

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
There will be an Event in Portsmouth no matter what! As Ratcliffe pointed out there were supposed to be two ACWS Events in Cagliari and Portsmouth 2020.
Maybe instead of a DoG 1 - 1 Challenge there will be a ACWS Event!
No where is there mentioned anything about an ACWS event. If that’s the case, then that’s fine, but Ratcliffe has only mentioned a 1 on 1 DoG match up until now. A DoG scenario would be a lose/ lose situation for all involved. Dalton will eventually find himself having to pay for not one, but 2 AC events.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
No where is there mentioned anything about an ACWS event. If that’s the case, then that’s fine, but Ratcliffe has only mentioned a 1 on 1 DoG match up until now. A DoG scenario would be a lose/ lose situation for all involved. Dalton will eventually find himself having to pay for not one, but 2 AC events.
Yes, it isn't mentioned. That doesn't mean it's not being negotiated. Matteo de Nora, Grant Dalton, Ben Ainslie and Jim Ratcliffe said the 1 - 1 Challenge is one of "Many Options" on the Table when it comes to the Venue. If the 1 - 1 fails there will be a ACWS instead I think.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
It's more than one year of uncertainty without a proper challenge signed. And moreover, it's jumping a cycle. If the relationship between COR and defender fails it will be a mess for everybody. You have to imagine the same thing done to ETNZ. And this is a precedent that will set the path for more billionaires looking for the shortcut to the Cup. As the NYYC said, it's a huge step in the wrong direction.
You raise some fair concerns

UNCERTAINTY 

IF INeos and ETNZ set a firm date for AC38 and state it is in Auckland. Ineos have stated they are willing to have AC38 in Auckland even if they win AC37.

Then the challengers will have a firm date and place....so that removes uncertainty.

BILLIONAIRES

Im afraid that’s the reality of the Cup, don’t forget LR is billionaire based and I’m glad it is so

JUMPING  A CYCLE

Yes that’s true it is jumping a cycle....but how is LR disadvantaged by this

NYYC 

Sorry don’t put much value in an organization that used a lot of tricks to keep the cup. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
It will be a hard ‘sell’ as a supposed 1 on 1 AC37 match for the Cup in 2022, if it doesn’t matter one shit who wins, given their (possibly-illegal) agreement to also control AC38.. 

The weekend regatta could be fun and it’s nice that Ratty is into continuing but in all reality, it’s just an exhibition race. They may as well invite others into it. 

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
I wonder how long will the honey moon last between Ratty and the Dalton :)

Last edited by a moderator:

strider470

Super Anarchist
You raise some fair concerns

UNCERTAINTY 

IF INeos and ETNZ set a firm date for AC38 and state it is in Auckland. Ineos have stated they are willing to have AC38 in Auckland even if they win AC37.

Then the challengers will have a firm date and place....so that removes uncertainty.

BILLIONAIRES

Im afraid that’s the reality of the Cup, don’t forget LR is billionaire based and I’m glad it is so

JUMPING  A CYCLE

Yes that’s true it is jumping a cycle....but how is LR disadvantaged by this

NYYC 

Sorry don’t put much value in an organization that used a lot of tricks to keep the cup. 
But they can't accept challenges for AC38 yet. It's forbiddent by the Deed.

And for jumping the cycle, LR has been by far the most competitive challenger of the lot, unless proved the contrary, and they surely lose the momentum and advantage they have.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington

And for jumping the cycle, LR has been by far the most competitive challenger of the lot, unless proved the contrary, and they surely lose the momentum and advantage they have.
As Porthos pointed out, any agreement to host the subsequent cup in Auckland is completely impossible to enforce under the DoG. HOWEVER, ETNZ and INEOS could sign a contract with massive penalties for non-performance.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg

Luna Rossa wasn't the most competitive Challenger in Auckland when you take away that they a Head Start with the AC75 Design Rule. They were not dangerous to ETNZ at all. INEOS & AM were most disadvantaged during AC36!

Luna Rossa will lose some advantages anyways.

strider470

Super Anarchist
Luna Rossa wasn't the most competitive Challenger in Auckland when you take away that they a Head Start with the AC75 Design Rule. They were not dangerous to ETNZ at all. INEOS & AM were most disadvantaged during AC36!

Luna Rossa will lose some advantages anyways.
And ETNZ by the same reasoning was not more competitive than Luna Rossa, considering that they had the new class design in mind well before.

This is nonsense. The results on the water don't agree with your thoughts. Don't blame me, blame the races.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
“And when a challenge from a Club fulfilling all the conditions required by this instrument has been received, no other challenge can be considered until the pending event has been decided.”

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
In the end, the most competitive boat was S&S, because they never lost a race!
Actually its my daughters toy boat.

S & S never lost a race but spent millions.

My daughter never lost a race and the boat was about $5.

Do you know any kids with a toy boat cheaper than $5? Maybe they can have the best boat instead?

strider470

Super Anarchist
Actually its my daughters toy boat.

S & S never lost a race but spent millions.

My daughter never lost a race and the boat was about $5.

Do you know any kids with a toy boat cheaper than $5? Maybe they can have the best boat instead?
If she had been Dalton's daughter, she would have had a $ 500 boat, but she would have had to move to England to play

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
What on earth does the most competitive boat have to do with being selected as challenger?   It has never has mattered before.

Luna Rossa was selected as challenger after AC 35 and Luna Rossa was not even at AC 35.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
What on earth does the most competitive boat have to do with being selected as challenger?   It has never has mattered before.

Luna Rossa was selected as challenger after AC 35 and Luna Rossa was not even at AC 35.
Luna Rossa had a pretty big Advantage when it came to the AC75 Rule. Francesco Bruni was reportedly testing the Twin-Skin Mainsail waaaay before the actual AC75 Class Rule came out and so did the Kiwis. AC36 was probably the Italians best shot of winning the Cup bcuz they established that Boat Class.
I expect the Avantages the Italians had over INEOS & AM will be much narrower for AC37 and beyond if they have any Advantages at all.