INEOS Team GB

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I was critical of INEOS last cup for not thinking outside the box enough (but they had some glimer of good avenues), and even more so in Bermuda. So, I think ideas like this are getting traction in the team is a positive.

However... if they have just thrown away a month's sailing with a concept that they weren't certain would be allowed, then that's a bit of a fuck up. They could have developed this in the background.

Obviously we don't know that's the case, maybe these delays are unrelated to any planned periods of tow testing with this tow mast (post?!)
The clip you showed of a foiling cat being towed in 'tank-mode' testing from above the deck and at an angle, was that footage from TNZ before they sprung the foiling AC72 for AC34 in SF?

Am guessing there were no rules to argue against it back then but it is obviously a smart approach. Again, am hoping this 'tow mast' challenge gets thrown out but am not predicting it.

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
The clip you showed of a foiling cat being towed in 'tank-mode' testing from above the deck and at an angle, was that footage from TNZ before they sprung the foiling AC72 for AC34 in SF?

Am guessing there were no rules to argue against it back then but it is obviously a smart approach. Again, am hoping this 'tow mast' challenge gets thrown out but am not predicting it.
yup, from their video on the first foiling here:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
So you use the real mast as the tow spar. Even if you have to laminate parts on, you can grind hem off later. It probably still make sense to collect the data you planned to collect.
SHC

That would affect your allocation of allowed changes, so it depends on wether you think thats beneficial...

buckdouger

Anarchist
What I don't understand is why IB is starting right back at base zero. Did they learn nothing with their programme, boats, simulator and bots, last go around?
I think it speaks to a lack of trust that the F1 team has in the analysis and data from last cup. Given the pitot tubes, presumably tied to velocity?

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Why can’t they just build a large carrier that fits into the regular mast, like a sail. It would have a tow harness that adjusts to the correct angle. Make it large enough to distribute the forces over more of the mast so it can handle the load.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I think it speaks to a lack of trust that the F1 team has in the analysis and data from last cup. Given the pitot tubes, presumably tied to velocity?
No need to pin it specifically on the F1 team, BA has the same doubts on the AC36 VPP, he said that clearly in a recent interview. I’ve forgotten where.

Latest posts