Installing a new Tuff luff on a new Headstay

Strimar

Getting ready to install a new Tuff Luff on a new headstay.  Just wondering if anyone has done it with the mast down.  Understand it may be easier with the mast up but having the old headstay beside the new one would be convenient in measuring and also fitting things without sending someone up the mast.

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Do a fair number on the ground, you must have a secure way to tension the stay. something like a come-along is helpful. Doing it on the ground lets you start at the bottom and then trim the top once you get there. Weather above 50F is also your friend. 

If the stay is at the top end of the size range for the foil it will be tough regardless. 

Strimar

Thanks the Tuff luff is for up to 5/16" and the headstay is 1/4" so that is good.  I was going to have the feeder at the same height as my Harken RF feeder so if I change them the luff tape is at the same height, this may be closer to the deck than Tuff Luff recommends, do you see any issue with this?  I believe you need to ensure that the bottom of the luff tape is not above the feeder, correct?

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks the Tuff luff is for up to 5/16" and the headstay is 1/4" so that is good.  I was going to have the feeder at the same height as my Harken RF feeder so if I change them the luff tape is at the same height, this may be closer to the deck than Tuff Luff recommends, do you see any issue with this?  I believe you need to ensure that the bottom of the luff tape is not above the feeder, correct?
Having the feeder a bit higher (near the rec. height) will make it easier for your bow crew. Having it low makes it tougher to hoist as well as drop the sail. Add an opening prefeeder and you don't have to cut the luff tape as well as makes reloading the sail to re-hoist a lot easier

Strimar

Yes checking out the opening pre feeders.  Seems like the best ones are not readily available.  Wichard one pretty tiny and not sure about Schaffer.  Signet marine no longer available but looks like it was the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Yes checking out the opening pre feeders.  Seems like the best ones are not readily available.  Wichard one pretty tiny and not sure about Schaffer.  Signet marine no longer available but looks like it was the best.
Lots of my customers like the Wichard one. The larger Schaeffer ones are adjustable to set the gap between the lobes which can be pretty helpful

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Lots of my customers like the Wichard one. The larger Schaeffer ones are adjustable to set the gap between the lobes which can be pretty helpful
I’ve used the Wichard prefeeder for seven years without any issues.  $70 is a lot cheaper that a new luff tape!  

Strimar

Schaefer recommends the pre-feeder be fixed to the headstay twelve inches below the feeder, in most pictures the pre-feeder appears to be closer to the feeder than that.  As well the 42" between the feeder and the deck puts the feeder well above the pulpit on my boat just wondering what peoples experiences have been who have been using these systems.

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Schaefer recommends the pre-feeder be fixed to the headstay twelve inches below the feeder, in most pictures the pre-feeder appears to be closer to the feeder than that.  As well the 42" between the feeder and the deck puts the feeder well above the pulpit on my boat just wondering what peoples experiences have been who have been using these systems.
Sometimes I will push the feeder height a little higher to make it easier to hoist and douse jibs especially if they are not well folded. It does potentially create more load on the feeder if one of the jib sheet rope holders yanks on the sheet before the halyard it tight though.  If the feeder is set too low it can result in the bow person having to do a T-Rex short arm  routine when the jib comes down

For the prefeeder usually in the 8-10" range, closer than that and it's hard for the bow person to grab the luff tape between the (opening) prefeeder and the feeder. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Strimar

Installed new Tuff Luff on new headstay on the ground today.  Temperature not great 13 C (55 F) winds gusting to 40 knots but with good crew work and a come along as well as tension on the headstay probably took 30 minutes but total time including preparation 1 hr 15 min. Having it on the ground (well 3 feet off of the ground)  I liked being able to compare it to the old headstay and measuring and fitting was much easier.  Slots in the foil seem narrow compared to the aluminum one but I suppose they will move a bit.

Any other maintenance tips? 

Thanks for the help and advice.