International 14 Worlds 2022

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA

Team racing starts tomorrow. The individual Worlds on Thur. Only 2 USA boats there, both chartered from the GER fleet as the shipping was going to be astronomical and unsure if would even get there from west coast. No AUS boats there either. See at least 5-6 women skippers in the fleet which is great to see. An NOR boat which I have't seen previously. Will truly miss being at this event as I've only missed 2 in the last 25 yrs. Good sailing all.
"14s are forever"

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy

Team racing starts tomorrow. The individual Worlds on Thur. Only 2 USA boats there, both chartered from the GER fleet as the shipping was going to be astronomical and unsure if would even get there from west coast. No AUS boats there either. See at least 5-6 women skippers in the fleet which is great to see. An NOR boat which I have't seen previously. Will truly miss being at this event as I've only missed 2 in the last 25 yrs. Good sailing all.
"14s are forever"

Shipping costs are really going into the "insane" territory this year, from what I am seeing.
Really hard to get it done

atnan

Alameda, CA
I wonder how it worked out for the Aussie 18s shipping to Lake Garda. Probably all going out in the same container. Same for the US West Coast 5o5s shipping to Cork. Perhaps not enough boats to band together?

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA
505 guys were nervous as well. They shipped 2 mos ahead of event and there were no guarantee the boats get there in time, nor definitive costs. Hope it works for them. We just didn't have the numbers. Was not a full container so initial costs about 5K/boat.

Not totally related or going to get the 505s there in time, cant help with shipping things at this late date, but for future notice:

If you are shipping transpacific, contact Matson. They own their own ships and terminals and owning all their own stuff has been leading to having less delays then other shipping companies. You will pay a premium, but you will get it with drastically less delays then most other companies.

Matson does have a website that shows you can get stuff from Australia, NZ, and the S. Pacific to Long Beach, Oakland, or Tacoma. Hun... maybe if I get a Bieker I can see if a co-worker will bring it back on the RJ for me, or I should see if I can hop on the RJ for a trip and bring it back myself...

Exception to Matson not having too many delays that might be anything into/out of China. Matson does own their dock in Shanghai, but good luck with getting anything into/out of China with any reliability.

There are also some tricks to getting things to Northern Europe from the US, like look for US flagged RO/RO companies. ARC (American Ro/Ro Company) has about a ship a week going from the US east coast going to Northern Europe and back. The key is look for the US Military supply runs, so from a major US ports to a major port near an over-sea base, and target those companies. Sometimes freight companies don't know to look for those things, but they are there. Maersk handles all the trans-Atlantic military cargo, APL (CMA-CGM) handles all the trans-Pacific military cargo. For example if you wanted to get a boat on its trailer to Japan, it would be pretty easy to reserve a spot on the Green Lake, a Ro/Ro, that goes a lap of the Pacific about every 6 weeks bringing cars here from Japan and taking what ever the US Government wants to various bases in Asia.

You can also pay a bit of a premium to get a container/cargo on a specific ship, so if you know the name of the ship that goes from the US East Coast, like Norfolk, to northern Europe, like Bremmerhaven, you can get your boat on that ship, and only will have to deal with the delays that ship experiences, not the general deal just getting cargo on to a ship.

atnan

Alameda, CA
Something else I learned chatting to folks in Kaneohe Bay after this year's Pac Cup was that you can save a lot on the cost of shipping from one US port to another by going via China. e.g. an Olson 30 shipped directly from Hawaii to San Francisco might cost 12-14k, whereas shipping it indirectly via China costs $5-6k (with a longer turnaround, obviously!)

That's just weird but I suppose it makes sense. No brokers ever mentioned this option. That would also take a big chunk of our season and possibly more exposure to damage with all the transfers.
We are bummed we are not going to Worlds but it is just stupid expensive. Concentrating on local stuff.
Something else I learned chatting to folks in Kaneohe Bay after this year's Pac Cup was that you can save a lot on the cost of shipping from one US port to another by going via China. e.g. an Olson 30 shipped directly from Hawaii to San Francisco might cost 12-14k, whereas shipping it indirectly via China costs $5-6k (with a longer turnaround, obviously!)

Yeah apparently it's fallout from the Jones Act.
More has to do with supply/demand for spots on board the vessels that go from Seattle/Tacoma/Oakland/LALB/San Diego to Hawaii. Matson and Pasha/Sunrise get paid a TON (like 10x what normal people pay) by the US Military to move cargo between the US West Coast and Hawaii. There is less demand for spots on a ship that goes from the US West Coast to Asia to then to the West Coast, but you are also probably putting it on a stack of containers, so its less protected then rolling it onto a ship with a car garage and rolling it off on the West Coast.

For all transparency I do work on Jones Act Ships as a third and second mate, and have worked the Hawaii/Oakland/LA triangle, so I am bias when it comes to people blaming the cost of a gallon of milk in Hawaii being higher then in the main land on the Jones Act. I cant see why shipping goods to a remote island chain 2000 miles away from the mainland would drive up the cost of gallon of milk.

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA
Finally! Thanks Archie

Race 1 i14 Worlds:
We’d arrived early, not the full week early as for winning years but a good few days.. We were greeted with two great days sailing with morning and afternoon sessions. We feel dialled in to our new #daveAlexander sails..
We then had the Teams! 6 knots first day with Glen/Ed taking 4 straight bullets. Despite their winning margins, our sense was that it wasn’t pure pace and simply better shift taking. Second day, 16-32 knots starboard-“S” course. Awesome playing in super gusty conditions, especially on the reaches. Felt fast for the first time in a long-time and took the wins and the Teams-racing Worlds.
So with 7-10 knots, how would Race 1 pan out? True to light wind form? Any surprises? Who knew.
Perceived wisdom was the right had more pressure and a righty, yet we came off the start line with a 20-degree righty, so we carried on towards the left corner, taking the first sniff of a header back right. It looked ugly half way back compared to those in the right , but even uglier over our shoulder where our main rivals were, so we were quite happy to see the right paying.. We had enough pure pace to round first, gybe-set and put 200 yards on second place, who straight set. Right seemed to be paying..
After the first lap we had enough in the bag to clear weed, four times a lap! Andy/Rob would close up and then clear their own..
That said, we had two moments of jeopardy. On the reach we lifted the board out, got kelp in the slot and could only get the board half way back down.. we settled down and cleared that at the bottom mark. In the last run we gybed back from the right side early, lost a bit of pressure and continued to the lay. Andy, who’d been sailing very tight to lays and keeping themselves in the game came within two boat length at the bottom mark, only to need to bow drop the kite!
The last beat we loosely covered on the shifts pulling out to a 100 yd lead again.. seems 6th gear was working well.
So feels like we’re fast enough. New DaveA kite with longer luff length and lighter cloth has fixed our downwind pace deficit. 
The wind for the rest of the week after a light day tomorrow is expected to gently increase and trial all points of the compass. We’re expecting some proper wacky racing ahead that favours the bold.
Can’t wait!
😀

Finally a big thank you to #Musto and our wives for helping us go play!

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA
Day #2 report from Archie

I14 Worlds Day 2:
Much less wind forecast today and was expecting foredeck weather or perhaps a no-sail..
We definitely prepped ourselves for having to dig ourselves out of a deep start position if we didn’t get clear quickly..
The start was moved early to 11am as the wind was forecast to die by 1pm. We got a start off in marginal twin-wiring conditions. We started mid-line again, waved to Katie as she port tacked the fleet by a country mile on what we thought was actually an even line.. we rounded first having just cleared the Canadians in our long port back across.
At the top mark, we set, extended then gybed. Glen/Ed when straight on us. I took a risk by clearing weed at that moment, but we gradually eased out deeper and deeper as the wind faded to flat calm. Our kite was the last flying by which stage we had a half leg lead only to hear the cancelled hoot
🙁
. Thanks Dave for the 0.5 oz cloth. Right call!
After two sequences and the rain clearing, the wind filled in back to the gradient direction. We then had a clean mid-line start..
Andy/Rob started 5 boat lengths to windward and the two of us carried on left. It turns out we both wanted to go right, but were waiting on the other to tack first. I blinked first and Andy kindly tacked to leeward. We initially started to sag into Andy, so pulled the jib and vang on. Andy later believed he caught weed too. Simultaneously Glen had tacked off the line and was looking very bows forward on the right.. A 10 degree left shift later and we were looking glamour for leading the fleet around the top, with Andy following.
Andy carried that weed to the bottom dropping to 3rd.
Again, there was one close cross in the second beat. We allowed Glen to hit the starboard lay, which initially killed him, but the righty came good at the top. Point to self, we need to perfect the double tack to consolidate and derisk gains..
To cut a long story short, we covered from there to the finish, ensuring no one got too far right. Finally finishing 100 yd clear again. Seems the upwind pace is spot on, particularly in the variable conditions.
The other notable change was that during POW Week, Glen/Ed and Andy/Rob to a lesser extent, would take 100 yds every run. That’s now not the case! I hope it’s our kite vs the others going slower.
Douglas/Mark are also flying, 4th with no bungs yesterday and 3rd with a dry hull today. Seems the #SailTech kite is now on the money!
The wind does a 180 tomorrow and light again, before finally building later in the week.. So far a 100 yd lead seemed safe. From tomorrow, 40 degree shifts become the order of the day!

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA
I14 Worlds Day 4: Races 3 & 4
After no wind on Sunday, we got two races in yesterday in a 8-14 knot NW wind which is straight across the Fjord. The windward mark just 100 yds under the trees…
During our warm up run, I smacked my knee into the vang controls. Serious pain and had to wait 10 mins before I could move again. Still pained today..
With that still front of mind, we had a little nervy pre-start, nothing calm and measured about it.
After a general, the first race was started under Black Flag.. We’d sailed off for a few minutes after the recalled started and returned to see the Class flag already up. We then thought that we’d seen the black flag break out for the 4 minute. Then with our watches showing 1:45 to go we heard the 1 minute gun. Then with 25s to go we overheard Ed calling down 10,9,8,7…, so we switched to listening to him
😀

In the end , the start was fine and Glen/Ed had to tack out, we followed the German’s Dennis sailing Dan Holman’s old boat. Whilst Dan was a footer, Dennis is a pointer. Same boat different style.
We tacked out on the first shift, tacked back 200 yd later and despite all feeling a little chaotic found ourselves with 100+ yd lead at the top, hooking into a large lefty at the top. The lefty at the top would remain a feature throughout the day.
We then cruised around a bit with a very healthy lead. I was kicking myself for seeing a righty in the kites at the top mark and not heading over to it. We were covering the fleet, but I prefer to attack the course and make all gains possible..
Then out of nowhere Andy/Rob appeared close to us at the gybe mark. Oops. Time to concentrate.
Our jib-sheet untied at the bottom mark for the 5th time. Whilst we retied that, we allowed Andy/Rob to split left. When we next converged, we’d maintained a 20 yd lead, then covered very closely for about 6 tacks, extending a little.
On the last run, back in attack-mode we gybed off into a gust running inside us. Andy straight-set. It looked like we made 200 yds only for Andy to hook into some massive pressure right out in the corner, still a small net gain..
Final beat, Andy tacked out left again from what was a huge left shift. I couldn’t make myself tack off a lift so carried on..
At one stage it looked like Andy was going to get the lefty of the day, so we tacked 300 yds under him to avoid realising a loss, waiting for a better opportunity to get left. It soon came a we crossed by about 150 yds in the end. Comfortable..?
The Upwind finish was right under the trees.. we could see back markers capsizing all over the place. We promised to be careful, but still tacked and then got dunked into windward. An Eskimo roll later and we righted the boat to finish just ahead of the charging Andy/Rob..
3 Germans came in next, with Glen/Ed just sneaking a 5th amongst them in the dying tacks. Glen recovered having got caught right on the first beat.
Race 4:
Again no timer and no reliable transit. Must sort our shit out!
Anyway, an ok start covered both ways and an individual recall. We pulled ourselves forwards and look the first lefty that let us cross the boats to weather. (A slightly stalled tack, meant it wasn’t as straight-forward as it should have been).
So we were crossing all the commitee boat end boats, two tacks later and we had George/Jack too from the pin end. Seemed our luck on first beats was still with us!
That’s where our mistakes came in. A really healthy lead on the run and pointing deep enough on starboard gybe. Glen/Ed rounded in 4th as The Gust arrived. The same gust also picked up Oli/Eike and Pete/Hugh, so the three of them charged down inside us, 20+ degrees lower and much faster. I just had to wait. No point putting myself onto port to get skewered by three bowsprits.. Waited. Arced up to the band to windward, sailed in that to it’s right hand edge and gybed back across, still comfortably crossing the carted starboard tackers.. this was where the mistake was made..
Turns out there was more to be made on the right and I should have consolidated and gybed back 50 yd ahead in their nose.. instead I gybed back in lighter pressure near the mark, just crossing them, stood on a little too long and allowed Glen/Ed inside..
It was our first beat with another boat covering us! How would we react? Not well it turns out. “Bear away, look at your tell tales”, “I am looking at my tell-tales”. “Eeze the main more out the tack”, “Have you seen how far out it is?”. Any way a few ill-timed tacks, not spotting the long term plan, meant Glen/Ed got left, hooked into another storming gust and shot off to a 200 yd lead.
We quickly recovered our composure to make 2nd comfortable, acing the top of the beat.
On the last run, Glen was half a leg ahead. Turns out we’d reverse the favour on the first run.. we gybed into a gust inside us, ran it to it’s edge, then gybed back. We were carted so hard we were pointing to leeward of the leeward mark.. Meanwhile Glen/Ed were single wiring to our right.
In hindsight I should have let the gust take us further down and trusted we’d eventually come up. As it happened 400 yd deficit became 6 boat-lengths . Game on.
Our game plan was to keep it tight to the top and then attack in the swirlies under the trees. Which we did, but in hindsight, we should have thrown in some tacks earlier.. We did too little too late and dropped a point.
1,1,1,2 not a bad start to a regatta, and we’d have taken the days results in the morning..
Hats off to Andy/Rob who recovered from a bottom mark capsize to take 3rd off a vastly improved Oliver. George/Eike also for their 3rd in the first race.
4 down, 3 to go. We’re on 5 points and the minimum Glen/Ed can get is 9 points if they finish perfectly. So we still need a 1,3 in the last 3 races to close out. I’m hoping it stays close, Andy/Rob get their richly deserved bullet and we sneak enough top threes to seal the deal..
Lay day today. See you tomorrow..
P.s. I realise that I’ve been using the word ‘I’ above. It should all read ‘we’. ‘We’ discuss every big strategic call, boat setup, moding etc. Boat-handling is positively critiqued in equal measure. When we covered Andy, we split roles with Harvey calling forwards and myself looking back.
Hats off to Harv, he’s sailing like a legend, super smooth in transitions and proactive in our moding/controls.. This partnership is why we sail two-man boats.
#Musto

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA
Sounds like next Worlds - Garda 2024, which was already on the books but pushed back and year as were the current GER Worlds due to Covid. Then Kingston, CAN 2026. Still to be approved, but should go through easily I would think.

BWR

Anarchist
San Diego, CA
Definitely a little anxiety this morning..
Glen’s proven to take 7 races in a row at POW week and Andy has shown he’s capable to follow closely lap after lap. Normally a sign of a faster boat! Either could take straight firsts for the last three races, but probably not with both fighting for it (and us).
We just needed to get 1 more first to put any ‘count back’ in our favour. Spoiler alert, we managed..
😀
. Just need one 5th place out of the last two races..
Today was a great day to get out early and track the wind. When we first got out there was good breeze to half way across the fjord ie. Left side only. 20 mins later it had filled in across the course, but each time it would pulse and fill in from the left.. there was also a righty top right and in the puffs. All good knowledge crucial for the race.
We started 4 boat lengths to leeward of Glen. Not intentionally. For the first time, he joined Andy and I, mid line. Up to that point he’s preferred the hustle and bustle of the ends.
We set off between Andy and Glen. All dead-level pegging. I asked Harvey at the time how we were doing vs Glen and he’d said we were gently coming up to his line. After finishing he’d said “there was a critical 10s when Glen was rolling us and we found our groove”. Glen had to tack out.
Andy then shortly tacked, we went a little further into the left shore a tacked over to follow. Andy and us were level pegging. He was initially coming up to our line, so we wound a little more vang on.
A nice lefty mid beat, seemed to put Andy and I in a solid 1,2 with Glen way off to the right..
Looking upwind the wind was again filling in from the left, so we headed over there.. We found the pressure but also a 15 degree righty. We held that for as long as we dared, praying for a knock to tack back in the port lay. I mentioned at the time ’I hope this increased wind compensates for the lift’
When we finally tacked. We’d gained 150 yds on the fleet and basically loose covered for 3 more laps.
We sometimes took a hit to reposition over the fleet and sometimes headed to the best pressure when more confident.
Meanwhile Andy, Glen and Douglas were having a battle royal. On the first run, Glen had gybe set away from the left shore, losing distance on the chasing pack, then consolidated that loss by being right again on the 2nd beat. Andy sailing through to his left. Glen tacked off hard left on the 3rd and 4th beats and similarly on the last run, but Andy covered close and gently pulled away.
Later start tomorrow as we wait for wind. Just need to ensure no OCSs or major breakages…
#musto

mothra64

Toronto
Sounds like next Worlds - Garda 2024, which was already on the books but pushed back and year as were the current GER Worlds due to Covid. Then Kingston, CAN 2026. Still to be approved, but should go through easily I would think.

Kingston 2026 Worlds were approved in the world council meeting, so I14 worlds are coming back to North America.

Need to get the US fleet up to Kingston for a test event NAs in 2023 or 2025 summer.

Reactions: BWR