Interprotect 2000 --- how long does it last?

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Does Interprotect 2000 have a service life once it is applied? (Assuming of course it was applied correctly) In speaking with my yard manager about soda blasting the bottom paint I asked if the barrier coat would be spared and he stated that it had a 10 year service life.

I searched Interlux and could not find any documentation. Anyone have any real world experience?

Will Museler

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Pretty hard to preserve the primer during sodablast, I would plan to recoat, need to sand fair anyway. Covered epoxy has an unknown service life to date, AFAIK, what's the half life of plastics out of uv and other degrading agents?

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
The System 3 epoxy barrier coat on my boat lasted from 1994 to 2012 before any blisters appeared. It was two coats sprayed on. Interprotect should give you longer life than that if it is applied properly and thicker than what I had. I didn't measure it but I would guess mine was 2-3 mm thick.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
The System 3 epoxy barrier coat on my boat lasted from 1994 to 2012 before any blisters appeared. It was two coats sprayed on. Interprotect should give you longer life than that if it is applied properly and thicker than what I had. I didn't measure it but I would guess mine was 2-3 mm thick.
At the risk of coming across as a pedant, i would point out that 2-3 mm is about 80-120 mils, which would be on the thick side. For a Dash, this works out to about 12 gal.

0.2 to 0.3 mm would be about 10 mils, which would indeed be on the thin side.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
At the risk of coming across as a pedant, i would point out that 2-3 mm is about 80-120 mils, which would be on the thick side. For a Dash, this works out to about 12 gal.

0.2 to 0.3 mm would be about 10 mils, which would indeed be on the thin side.
Just a guess. I sanded it all off and it took a long time. It was more than 1mm. I think it was 4 gallons we sprayed on.

So to answer the question.

Salt water will penatrate epoxy at a rate of 1-2 thou a year. Both International and Petit recomend you coat to a thickness of 20 thou dry film coat. In otherwords it should be 10 years BEFORE saltwater makes it to the gelcoat.

If you strip the bottom by blasting, the process will burn through the barrier coat in places due to the inconsistencies in thickness when it was first applied. This will leave a relatively smooth surface that can be recoated with epoxy (your choice of supplier) barrier coating to rebuild the thickness. There will be spots that still have some epoxy in place and some area that will be bare gelcoat.

I have done quite a few of these jobs and you may want to investigate a dust less blasting system. Basically an aggregate that is mixed with water at the nozzle of the gun. A bit messy on the ground but much less dust in the air. The water cleans the surface as it strip and you may be able to recoat with reduced effort.