IOR is dead for a reason

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
^ still sexy 20+ years later (although I think those pics are post-refit)
Yes, may be it is because these are boats from my era but I find her a lot sexier than IOR boats.

In IRC she must take a big hit for this big bulb!

I remember the Corby style sterns terrorising French boats!

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
You just gotta love rating rules.
144806scr_e058a3a3f2408c0.jpg

Something lighter than J boats, for Gods sake.  More like Pogos, he pleaded?  But skinnier. J boats built one really light boat and hardly anyone bought it.  At least IOR has history, er, provenance  :lol: :lol: :lol: on it’s side....

here’s an interesting boat

https://www.wauquiez.com/en/optio/optio

but we bit the bullet and had a 40’ ULDB cruising sled designed and built 20 years ago, and mostly we get told she’s bullshit.  And so it goes....  
I have looked at the Optio but went larger or smaller instead. It is an interesting design and sails very well/.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
My favorite rule was the America's Cup boats had to sail from their home port to the race. Every challenger had to sail a 6,000 mile or more round trip and the USA boats had to be able to make 20 or 30 miles from Newport in generally light air.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
My favorite rule was the America's Cup boats had to sail from their home port to the race. Every challenger had to sail a 6,000 mile or more round trip and the USA boats had to be able to make 20 or 30 miles from Newport in generally light air.
Actually that goes all the way back to the beginning--in New York waters. And even better, the defenders had a fleet to defend with!

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I am 100% in favor of that rule coming back, with the proviso that the defender sail someplace like say around Bermuda and back to avoid the fragile light air flyer thing.
Considering it was the "100 Guineas Cup" I still wonder why it didnt become the "100 Koalas Kup" in 1983.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal

Yeah.  It's the "you get what you measure" paradigm.  Usually with a hodge-podge of unintended consequences blended in

And not just in sailing.  If you're ever in Amsterdam, notice how narrow all the houses are along the canals... and notice that every one of them has a big stout beam with a pulley hanging from it at the peak of the roof.

That's because, way back when, the king decided to tax people based on how much canal-frontage their house covered.  So people built houses as narrow as they possibly could.  To the point that there was no way to get furniture to the upper floors, without hoisting it up the outside and sliding it through a window.

So it goes.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Yeah.  It's the "you get what you measure" paradigm.  Usually with a hodge-podge of unintended consequences blended in

And not just in sailing.  If you're ever in Amsterdam, notice how narrow all the houses are along the canals... and notice that every one of them has a big stout beam with a pulley hanging from it at the peak of the roof.

That's because, way back when, the king decided to tax people based on how much canal-frontage their house covered.  So people built houses as narrow as they possibly could.  To the point that there was no way to get furniture to the upper floors, without hoisting it up the outside and sliding it through a window.

So it goes.
That's a good one! In Maine when I was at school, I noticed that a number of houses had wooden stoops. "Why is that--it is so unfinished?"  "That's because the such and such tax isn't due until the stoop is installed--so they never did." Or something.

144806scr_e058a3a3f2408c0.jpg
This particular shot is Charlie Barr with his very own plank on edge, SHONA. Notice his paycheck boat is in the background...designed to a very different rule...Photo by Nathaniel L. Stebbins.

Plank on edge of course developed out of the commercial tonnage rule in England, where beam was taxed but draft was not....(also length of keel, which is why all the curve and the ridiculously raked sternposts).

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The NYYC raised cheating and abuse of the rules to an art form.

My favourite was the "arm of the sea" rule. When Canada made an embarrassingly bad challenge from the Great Lakes with Countess of Dufferin the NYYC had the Deed of Gift changed specifically to exclude future challenges by clubs from the Great Lakes.

Then, in the 80's when they wanted Buddy Melges to defend they went to court and successfully argued that the Great Lakes were "an arm of the sea" and had their own rule change overturned.

The "thinking" in the legal decision effectively made any waterway on earth an arm of the sea because they all end up in the ocean eventually. Well, maybe no challenges from the Dead Sea or the Salton Sea.

"Sportsmanship". :lol:

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
One thing I will never understand with PHRF is why it’s not nationally administered to avoid all these local shenanigans, PY in the U.K. is RYA administered to ensure that there is a big enough sample size and avoid local manipulation.......
Not correct I'm afraid. Clubs can and do adjust the numbers.

cbulger

Newport
Loved my IOR sailing - don’t get  me wrong, the designs the rule produced were not as much fun to sail as today’s performance boats (I gave up lead when I turned 50 and sail A Cats and F18s now) - but sailing in the IOR days was more fun than today’s big boat scene in the US - In the IOR days we didn’t have to wear matching outfits, more emphasis on having fun together - it was more about a group adventure, less about stroking the owners ego........ 

Mudsailor

Anarchist
So Cal
Not correct I'm afraid. Clubs can and do adjust the numbers.
But at least there is national oversight, Over here it’s the Wild West.....different boards give and adjust ratings, local boards are often controlled by a couple of powerful people. , ratings don’t transfer from area to area

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA

Considering it was the "100 Guineas Cup" I still wonder why it didnt become the "100 Koalas Kup" in 1983.
IIRC, that 'must arrive on her own bottom' rule was in place during the RYS's 100 guinea cup race which schooner America won.  The boat was built light but massively reinforced with temporary bracing for its transatlantic trip, which bracing was stripped out for racing.

Latest posts