IOR landfills?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
...John Buchan won the regatta by half a point on his Brit Chance design against Pendragon. His son Carl was there and his teenage buddies - the McKees. I didn't know them at the time but I ended up racing with them for 10 years in Seattle and we have this great relationship to this day. I raced on Jonathan's Riptide 44 Dark Star twice on Straits race. It was Jonathan's Bday on the weekend and I was the first to give him my congrats via Wastebook....
I assume by regatta you are referring to the '78 3/4T Worlds.  In which case I think you may have that backwards.  North and Pendragon narrrowly beat Buchan and Sachem IIRC.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
 New Infidel was one of at least two Swampfire sisters at that championship. Impatience was done in C-Flex glass.

At a time of such rapid design change in the IOR I couldn't understand why people were building a 4 year old design, even if it had been a world champion. Back then even custom designs were sometimes obsolete before they were finished building.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
This thread is like finding little pearls in your soup. The bit about Buchan makes me think of that so cool Star class movie that is on yt now where he beats North. The last of the Egyptian Cotton masters.

Last edited by a moderator:

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
This thread is like finding little pearls in your soup. The bit about Buchan makes me think of that so cool Star class movie that is on yt now where he beats North. The last of the Egyptian Cotton masters.
Now that you mention Buchan and Stars, I am reminded that I believe it was Bill, not John that owned Sachem.  Too many sailing Buchans out there to keep track of.

Last edited by a moderator:

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
The Mull 34 I've seen around? 
FIFY

But yes, that Impatience.  Was advertised for dirt cheap a few months ago but apparently the deck was mush. 

As far as Mull and the 3/4T Worlds in '78, Clockwork Rocketship was also for sale maybe a year ago or less for much less - but she was in horrendous condition.  At least hygienically  :eek:

SloopJohnB

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Nice pictures. Must have been fun to be there. Listening to Laurie Davidson commenting on Paul Whiting's creations: [SIZE=11.5pt]“Paul Whiting’s designs are join up the dots boats and they aren’t pretty." One can just figure about Whiting's hypothetical comment about Davidson's: Laurie Davidson's has adopted my deep volume in the forward sections, but he has missed joining the dots correctly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]   [/SIZE]
I was involved with Paul during the design of the Magic Bus, it was drawn from dots of a another boat's IOR certificate, then it was pulled and push. I made several trips to the computer at the BNZ in Victoria Street (the computer used for NZ IOR certs) working on the minimizing "L".

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
No, it just smells funny.
It was basically brand new in that picture. The rig had just been put it. Mull did the design based on the 2 world champion 3/4 tonners. The build was done in the winter of '77 and launched in the spring of '78. Like I say: We were still bolting shit onto the boat when we arrived at Vic for the worlds. The build was done at a machine shop, W.A. Thom, connected to the owner's engineering company at the bottom of Fell Ave. North Vancouver. Similar to Jake Woods' Sorcery. A lot of the stuff done was in Jake's shop.

Impulse was out of RVicYC and didn't come to the regatta. A bit odd but?  Charlie Walsh had one in Seattle and went on with his Peterson design 2 tonners.

Do understand Mull was a big tumblehome guy so both of those had that. In our boat, in those days, we didn't have the technology to do it that way in aluminum. In Canada anyway. 

001 (1280x893).jpg

Ishmael

Fuctifino
It was basically brand new in that picture. The rig had just been put it. Mull did the design based on the 2 world champion 3/4 tonners. The build was done in the winter of '77 and launched in the spring of '78. Like I say: We were still bolting shit onto the boat when we arrived at Vic for the worlds. The build was done at a machine shop, W.A. Thom, connected to the owner's engineering company at the bottom of Fell Ave. North Vancouver. Similar to Jake Woods' Sorcery. A lot of the stuff done was in Jake's shop.

Impulse was out of RVicYC and didn't come to the regatta. A bit odd but?  Charlie Walsh had one in Seattle and went on with his Peterson design 2 tonners.

Do understand Mull was a big tumblehome guy so both of those had that. In our boat, in those days, we didn't have the technology to do it that way in aluminum. In Canada anyway. 

View attachment 416508
Slap on some duct tape and she's good to go.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist

View attachment 416508
This is great.

Are those buckles amidships or just photo artifacts? Did the shop put the plates on an english wheel? Those are big plates and the curvature looks pretty good!

johnsonjay17

This is great.

Are those buckles amidships or just photo artifacts? Did the shop put the plates on an english wheel? Those are big plates and the curvature looks pretty good!
No idea about this picture but it looks just like what happens when our welders but too much heat into a thin wall panel.

JJ

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
I was involved with Paul during the design of the Magic Bus, it was drawn from dots of a another boat's IOR certificate, then it was pulled and push. I made several trips to the computer at the BNZ in Victoria Street (the computer used for NZ IOR certs) working on the minimizing "L".
Obviously, Davidson was correct about Whiting's creations being "joining the dots boats". Whiting seems to be fun to work with. At least early in his career. Every loophole of the IOR was said to have been investigated by Whiting. I figure Murray Ross must have felt rather stressed when that forward mounted prop, of Smackwater Jack" opened up at the one-ton cup in New Zealand -77 ? Imagine the first sound of the prop going wide-open: "Zwocka!". Then, it starts to rotate transmitting vibrations to the hull:"Zlaaaba-daaaba-zlaaba-daaba-zlabba-dabba!".

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2012/12/smackwater-jack-whiting-one-tonner.html

"The Cup regatta started disastrously for the crew, with the yacht again having to retire from the opening race, this time with a propeller that refused to close." 

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
I was there for a month or more. Between Swiftsure before that and we were still bolting shit on the boat. Like I say - Ritous never got to the regatta because of damage at Swifsure. It was a very odd design anyway. In that picture of Pendragon shows Laurie just below that A-G dock sign at the club being measured. I have a picture of Laurie and Lowell North in the back of a pick up after sucking up a lot of the government hooch at a reception at Government House in Victoria in no pain. Poncho was there and we wandered around the place until we found the formal dining room that was velvet roped out. We just grabbed our "tumblers" of single malt and feet up on the table and drank until the Sgt. of Arms caught us! Too funny.

John Buchan won the regatta by half a point on his Brit Chance design against Pendragon. His son Carl was there and his teenage buddies - the McKees. I didn't know them at the time but I ended up racing with them for 10 years in Seattle and we have this great relationship to this day. I raced on Jonathan's Riptide 44 Dark Star twice on Straits race. It was Jonathan's Bday on the weekend and I was the first to give him my congrats via Wastebook.

I don't know if this will stick but we had a Mull 3/4 tonner built for the worlds in aluminum in North Vancouver. We didn't do well as the owner was in the process of moving his engineering firm to Portland and I didn't know much about full-on race boats; particularly one that was built out of aluminum!         

View attachment 416441

View attachment 416442

View attachment 416447

View attachment 416448
Yes, brings back memories of being young. No prostate issues, no PSA values to checked, no Ben Johnson starting position at the doctors. Anyway, was it Sachem by Brit Chance, Jr? Those Buchans with at least two Olympic Gold medals. Bill in the Star and Eric (Carl?) in the 470.

Latest posts