IOR landfills?

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I've spent five weeks literally at the North Pole, average temp -40, but I've never been as cold in my life as being below on an aluminum '53 Frers  at Cove in a Mac Race.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
I've spent five weeks literally at the North Pole, average temp -40, but I've never been as cold in my life as being below on an aluminum '53 Frers  at Cove in a Mac Race.
You seem to be unfortunate. Anything positive whatsoever going on, that cheer you up?

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Yes, brings back memories of being young. No prostate issues, no PSA values to checked, no Ben Johnson starting position at the doctors. Anyway, was it Sachem by Brit Chance, Jr? Those Buchans with at least two Olympic Gold medals. Bill in the Star and Eric (Carl?) in the 470.
Yes, it was a Brit Chance design. It had a daggerboard or something? Didn't last as a race boat much except the worlds. There was an upheaval in the IOR afterward. I lot of changes to the rule. I only see "Hagar" still out there racing from that era. Bill and Carl (I have raced with Carl) won an Olympic gold medal in the FD's. But however, they did pretty well with Stars (world champions) and many other classes. Carl and Jonathan McKee won gold in '84 on the FD's too. I'm honoured to sail with them, particularly Jonathan, that I raced with for many years. 

Frankly, Pendragon changed everything. This one was the first of many owned by John McLaurin. A long and good relationship with Laurie. That same Pendragon had a bow sprit add to it and turned around the 1-ton worlds in the following year.    

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Seems to be a lot  aluminum welding expertise here. Good.
I think the buckling was just an optical illusion. The welders were good in their craft but the design/build had its work cut out for itself. Lighter plate in the topside areas and we were able to make the plates bigger. Not so much as moved back in the design and the bottom you had to shape it with smaller plates; specifically for the contortions of the IOR. Like the VHA stations etc.

What did I know? I was just a helper and what was told how this is supposed to work. I guess I was pretty lucky to be involved (at that time) a state of the art build.    

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
I think the buckling was just an optical illusion. The welders were good in their craft but the design/build had its work cut out for itself. Lighter plate in the topside areas and we were able to make the plates bigger. Not so much as moved back in the design and the bottom you had to shape it with smaller plates; specifically for the contortions of the IOR. Like the VHA stations etc.

What did I know? I was just a helper and what was told how this is supposed to work. I guess I was pretty lucky to be involved (at that time) a state of the art build.    
Yes, the welders probably know what they were doing.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Yes, it was a Brit Chance design. It had a daggerboard or something? Didn't last as a race boat much except the worlds. There was an upheaval in the IOR afterward. I lot of changes to the rule. I only see "Hagar" still out there racing from that era. Bill and Carl (I have raced with Carl) won an Olympic gold medal in the FD's. But however, they did pretty well with Stars (world champions) and many other classes. Carl and Jonathan McKee won gold in '84 on the FD's too. I'm honoured to sail with them, particularly Jonathan, that I raced with for many years. 

Frankly, Pendragon changed everything. This one was the first of many owned by John McLaurin. A long and good relationship with Laurie. That same Pendragon had a bow sprit add to it and turned around the 1-ton worlds in the following year.    
I can see you have written a lot about this, very interesting reading:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/122235-bchance-jr-design-boats/

Yea, Pendragon it is:

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/pendragon-davidson-34.html

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.

I think there are a few more.  Amazing Grace, Will o'the Wisp are a couple I can think of.  Or are they a later era?  

I raced PITCH on Sitka against Hagar BITD.  We were smoked.  That was the beginning the IOR fractional-rig dominance IIRC.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
In my case less aluminum and more carbon and Stainless Steel welding. 

JJ
Yea, hope you did (in Swedish "purra") those welds. I guess "purra" means that one hit the weld with a small hammer to impose compression on the weld. But I guess it is so expensive that it can not be done nowadays.

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
I think there are a few more.  Amazing Grace, Will o'the Wisp are a couple I can think of.  Or are they a later era?  

I raced PITCH on Sitka against Hagar BITD.  We were smoked.  That was the beginning the IOR fractional-rig dominance IIRC.
I raced on Gracie and Wisp in the latter days. Not close to new. Both of those were early '80's build. 

Sitka was originally was Gogama hailed out of RVYC. Ya, they were at that regatta. A pretty decent result if I remember correctly. 5th maybe? There was Clockwork Rocketship (a later Mull design) and sailed out of TYC with Al Whitfield when he had it well after the fact from the worlds and change owners. 

Yes, I'm slut but you know that Rain Man? 

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I raced on Gracie and Wisp in the latter days. Not close to new. Both of those were early '80's build. 

Sitka was originally was Gogama hailed out of RVYC. Ya, they were at that regatta. A pretty decent result if I remember correctly. 5th maybe? There was Clockwork Rocketship (a later Mull design) and sailed out of TYC with Al Whitfield when he had it well after the fact from the worlds and change owners. 

Yes, I'm slut but you know that Rain Man? 
Sitka is still being kept up.  I trolled the docks at Heather not long ago and bumped into John working on her.  She still looks great.  That was a quality build. 

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
Sitka is still being kept up.  I trolled the docks at Heather not long ago and bumped into John working on her.  She still looks great.  That was a quality build. 
That's good,  it looked like she was anchored in False Creek for a few months and I thought it was the end of the line like so many others. 

LordBooster

Super Anarchist

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Every time I see the term "Roadkill" I'm reminded of the Newhart episode where Larry, Darryl and the other brother Darryl had opened a restaurant and they had to leave Newhart's to get out to the Interstate to see what that night's special was going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts