IOR landfills?

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
It was back in February I think that I saw her - has she been out at anchor since?  Could be things have changed.  
I'm guessing May/June to October was when I noticed Sitka anchored around Charleson park.  Moved around once in a while - out to English Bay when necessary. Seemed like a much nicer boat than the other "locals", but they don't often stay that way in there.  

Let's hope she's in a nice slip somewhere. 

johnsonjay17

Yea, hope you did (in Swedish "purra") those welds. I guess "purra" means that one hit the weld with a small hammer to impose compression on the weld. But I guess it is so expensive that it can not be done nowadays.
On smaller weldments sometimes the engineer will call for a wheelabrator. Basically you throw it in a machine that shot peens with a strip that curves to tell you how much compression. Large weldments are peened with either a needle gun or other methods.

JJ

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Sitka is still being kept up.  I trolled the docks at Heather not long ago and bumped into John working on her.  She still looks great.  That was a quality build. 
Which Heather?  There were several of them.  John alternated between Heather (daughter) and Glory (Gloria, wife) until he stuck with Glory for the last several.  

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Candidate to yacht-wreck of the year 2010 in Denmark. Twin rudders, so probably not an IOR-design. But it is so strange looking that I post it anyway. The designer [SIZE=11pt]Steen Kjølhede competed in olympics in Munchen (Kiel) in 1972 together with Paul Elvstrøm and Waldemar Bandalowski.[/SIZE]

https://motorbaadsnyt.dk/nyhed/archive/2010/27/march/article/baadvraget-fra-kjoelhede-nu-er-den-til-salg-bud-fra-15000-kr/

extaseRTEmagicC_Extase_1.jpg.jpg

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
On smaller weldments sometimes the engineer will call for a wheelabrator. Basically you throw it in a machine that shot peens with a strip that curves to tell you how much compression. Large weldments are peened with either a needle gun or other methods.

JJ
Seems to be a lot of high-tech there.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I'm guessing May/June to October was when I noticed Sitka anchored around Charleson park.  Moved around once in a while - out to English Bay when necessary. Seemed like a much nicer boat than the other "locals", but they don't often stay that way in there.  

Let's hope she's in a nice slip somewhere. 
That doesn't sound good.  It would be a huge tragedy if that boat ended up on the beach in English Bay as so many of them do.  

On another note, I looked for Mad Max in the harbour here in Nanaimo today (skiing yesterday) but didn't see her.  Perhaps she has moved on.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
That doesn't sound good.  It would be a huge tragedy if that boat ended up on the beach in English Bay as so many of them do.  

On another note, I looked for Mad Max in the harbour here in Nanaimo today (skiing yesterday) but didn't see her.  Perhaps she has moved on.
Kind of alarming news about Mad Max: "Perhaps she has moved on."

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Yes, it was a Brit Chance design. It had a daggerboard or something? Didn't last as a race boat much except the worlds. There was an upheaval in the IOR afterward. I lot of changes to the rule. I only see "Hagar" still out there racing from that era. Bill and Carl (I have raced with Carl) won an Olympic gold medal in the FD's. But however, they did pretty well with Stars (world champions) and many other classes. Carl and Jonathan McKee won gold in '84 on the FD's too. I'm honoured to sail with them, particularly Jonathan, that I raced with for many years. 

Frankly, Pendragon changed everything. This one was the first of many owned by John McLaurin. A long and good relationship with Laurie. That same Pendragon had a bow sprit add to it and turned around the 1-ton worlds in the following year.    
[SIZE=24pt]Bill Buchan talks to 2009 Moth Worlds Mach 2 On-The-Water Anarchy Report[/SIZE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVnz5VurzE

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
[SIZE=24pt]Bill Buchan talks to 2009 Moth Worlds Mach 2 On-The-Water Anarchy Report[/SIZE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVnz5VurzE
Thanks for that. I only know Bill in passing but Bill is a real gentleman of sailing. It's the McKee's I have the relationship with. But did sail with Carl as the Buchan's and McKee's are like family. Charlie McKee is the Moth guy. He probably got Bill's grand daughter into the Moths. Charlie and Jonathan got a bronze medal for the 49er's.

Funny story with Charlie: We were doing a windy Southern Straits race (35 knots or more downwind) on a SC50 and Charlie was driving and I said to: Charlie - you understand that we have to gybe, Sisters Is., are coming up quick and we are almost by the lee! Charlie was driving hard and just said: "I got it....I got it....I got it.....and called for the trip. We gybed and made it. Not by much and we were doing 23 knots boat speed. Hoisted the blade and you could high five the islands that were that close! We did our rounding and two boats behind us lost their rigs. We won the overall going away but there was a lot of carnage by other boats.