IOR landfills?

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Thanks for that. I only know Bill in passing but Bill is a real gentleman of sailing. It's the McKee's I have the relationship with. But did sail with Carl as the Buchan's and McKee's are like family. Charlie McKee is the Moth guy. He probably got Bill's grand daughter into the Moths. Charlie and Jonathan got a bronze medal for the 49er's.

Funny story with Charlie: We were doing a windy Southern Straits race (35 knots or more downwind) on a SC50 and Charlie was driving and I said to: Charlie - you understand that we have to gybe, Sisters Is., are coming up quick and we are almost by the lee! Charlie was driving hard and just said: "I got it....I got it....I got it.....and called for the trip. We gybed and made it. Not by much and we were doing 23 knots boat speed. Hoisted the blade and you could high five the islands that were that close! We did our rounding and two boats behind us lost their rigs. We won the overall going away but there was a lot of carnage by other boats. 
Hehe!

Well, you obviously got the desired (in Swedish) "sista insida". Meaning that it doesn't matter how you conduct your gybing, provided that your last one place you between the rounding mark and the rest of the fleet. Especially true if one can master roll-gybing.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Poor Swampfire!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/120252-disturbed-ior-design/&page=3

“Here is "Swampfire" sitting in a field needing some serious TLC in S Louisiana”

“Here is Swampfire, won the '74 3/4 ton Worlds with bullets in every race. Skipper is Osmond (OJ) Young. The boat is sitting a little over a mile away from me on a trailer dying a slow death. The linked winches have been removed but I could probably find the universal gears and anthill sockets in a boatyard around here somewhere. Incredibly fast upwind in breeze but terrifying DW. Nothing more scary than being trapped in one of the crew wells on a round down. Built by Tom Dreyfus of New Orleans Marine as a one-off using C-flex construction.”

“Something has got to be up with the Swampfire for $6,500 than just some soft spots in the deck.”

“The owner is pretty clueless about selling - they have listed that boat a number of times at ever falling prices and I've tried a few times to see it. The first time was in 2012 when it was up-island and after several failed attempts to view it I gave up. The next time I was shopping it was listed again but in the city for less than the first time but more than now and again, no luck in seeing it. Actually he said it had sold that time but now it's the same guy so....

It looked pretty decent from outside.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Mull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_34

View attachment swampfireDSC_9468.thumb.JPG.50d833ee5f83ce7fc26074ae97dadd22.jfif

swampfire-post-657-011444300 1339347921_thumb.jpg

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
DB1 3/4-ton designed by Van De Stadt,  "hit-and-run"' self-powered gravel barge

Neo Classic Yachts group

“Many years ago, we were sailing round Pulau Tiga, to give our new crew members some experience in night sailing. We were using the first ‘Rama-Rama’, a Dehler Db1 with a Db2 rig. That unlucky yacht was bodily run over shortly afterwards in the Brunei River by a 'hit-and-run' self-powered gravel barge; the first of many ‘rama-dramas’. Mercifully, our boat-boy was playing hooky in the Royal Brunei Yacht Club bar at the time and it saved someone, I forget who, a tedious delivery trip to Hong Kong the very next morning. We chartered the Dubois One-tonner ‘Bimblegumbie’ for the China Sea Series that year, and turned in spectacularly erratic results, as usual. When ‘Rama-Rama’ was ‘written off’ it did at least solve one problem. The prop-shaft used to slide out, no matter what we did to keep it in the boat - and believe, me we tried. It happened 500 miles out of Singapore, en-route to Brunei, it happened in the Brunei Bay and it happened that night off Pulau Tiga. I awoke to the inconsiderate clatter of Klaus, scuttling about, looking for the long tapered soft-wood plug racing yachts are obliged to carry; an esoteric requirement of Category One Offshore Racing. Ours, however, was a well-used soft-wood plug. Meanwhile, there was a fire hose squirting a high-pressure jet of Pulau Tiga’s erratic maritime ecology in my right ear. A good night’s sleep ruined. I woke again a little later to hear Klaus banging about under the floor trying to push the dangling shaft back through the plugged hole from the ocean side of the hull. I suppose I could have taken the plug out when he hammered hopefully on the greasy anti-fouling, but with that guy, it was best to keep him busy. Owners are like that. From ‘Lifelines from Low Latitudes’, Image Ross”

http://stadtdesign.com/designs/dehler/db1_db2/3

“Designed for the prestigious Three-Quarter Ton Cup in 1980.

There is a saying that what looks right is right, and this potent yet elegant 10.10m racer was not only the best looking yacht in the fleet at that time, it also was a winner.

These Dehler GRP production boats were winning almost all important races all over the world in the early eighties.
The upgraded db2 achieved 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th in the 1984 world championship.”

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Trois%20Quart/DB1.htm

db1_133461383_1360184687675051_3094329502816655899_o.jpg

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Poor Outsider!

https://www.yacht.de/yachten_jollen/segelsportgeschichte-ior-racer-duesselboot/a123922.html

”Klein, breit, auf das Wesentliche reduziert, mit einem flexiblen 7/8-Rigg ausgestattet: Die "Düsselboot" avancierte zum Trendsetter, und sie war vor allem eines: erfolgreich. 1981 schaffte sie überraschend den Sprung ins deutsche Admiral's-Cup-Team und setzte erste Glanzlichter. Unter ihrem neuen Namen "Outsider" holte sie ebenso unerwartet  zusammen mit "Pinta" und "Sabina" 1983 den Pokal wieder nach Deutschland.”

Google translate:

"Small, wide, reduced to the essentials, equipped with a flexible 7/8
rig: the "Düsselboot" advanced to become a trendsetter, and it was one
thing above all: successful. In 1981 she surprisingly made the leap into
the German Admiral's Cup team and set the first highlights. Under her
new name "Outsider" she unexpectedly brought the trophy back to Germany
in 1983 together with "Pinta" and "Sabina"."

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/outsider-judelvrolijk-39.html

outsider_d_f25cb39ae6.jpeg

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Poor Swampfire!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/120252-disturbed-ior-design/&page=3

“Here is "Swampfire" sitting in a field needing some serious TLC in S Louisiana”

“Here is Swampfire, won the '74 3/4 ton Worlds with bullets in every race. Skipper is Osmond (OJ) Young. The boat is sitting a little over a mile away from me on a trailer dying a slow death. The linked winches have been removed but I could probably find the universal gears and anthill sockets in a boatyard around here somewhere. Incredibly fast upwind in breeze but terrifying DW. Nothing more scary than being trapped in one of the crew wells on a round down. Built by Tom Dreyfus of New Orleans Marine as a one-off using C-flex construction.”

“Something has got to be up with the Swampfire for $6,500 than just some soft spots in the deck.”

“The owner is pretty clueless about selling - they have listed that boat a number of times at ever falling prices and I've tried a few times to see it. The first time was in 2012 when it was up-island and after several failed attempts to view it I gave up. The next time I was shopping it was listed again but in the city for less than the first time but more than now and again, no luck in seeing it. Actually he said it had sold that time but now it's the same guy so....

It looked pretty decent from outside.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Mull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_34

View attachment 417063

View attachment 417064
Thanks for that. Our Mull 34 was taken on Swampfire and our build was 76 or 77. I no longer have the line drawing but I think it was 76. Vanpire was 75. The owner of ours was in the process of moving to Portland so we said good buy at PITCH 79. That's why we weren't involved with the famous chaos at that regatta. We had a private wake with tumblers of scotch!

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Thanks for that. Our Mull 34 was taken on Swampfire and our build was 76 or 77. I no longer have the line drawing but I think it was 76. Vanpire was 75. The owner of ours was in the process of moving to Portland so we said good buy at PITCH 79. That's why we weren't involved with the famous chaos at that regatta. We had a private wake with tumblers of scotch!
Cheers!: "We had a private wake with tumblers of scotch!"

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.
No such thing as cheap moorage anywhere on the coast these days.  My experience is that once a boat is on the hook - it stays on the hook until the right storm comes along.  Cuz lets face - ain't nothin' cheaper than free moorage.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
No such thing as cheap moorage anywhere on the coast these days.  My experience is that once a boat is on the hook - it stays on the hook until the right storm comes along.  Cuz lets face - ain't nothin' cheaper than free moorage.
You seem to have developed special skills for yachts being "hooked" for landfill. One can compare with other yachts dealt with on within "IOR landfills?" such as Magic Bus (Paul Whiting), Great Fun (Laurie Davidson) and Miss Piggy (Tony Castro). In the case of MB it hade been advertised at a number of yacht brokers, without any result. Here is one obvious indicator of being "hooked" for landfill. We were happy that the New Zealanders felt these vibes all the way from Alameda CA. In the case of GF the "hooked" indicator may be "almost sinking". For MP one has to be in place and the "hooked" detector is when the balsa core is just about to suck up water.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
You seem to have developed special skills for yachts being "hooked" for landfill. One can compare with other yachts dealt with on within "IOR landfills?" such as Magic Bus (Paul Whiting), Great Fun (Laurie Davidson) and Miss Piggy (Tony Castro). In the case of MB it hade been advertised at a number of yacht brokers, without any result. Here is one obvious indicator of being "hooked" for landfill. We were happy that the New Zealanders felt these vibes all the way from Alameda CA. In the case of GF the "hooked" indicator may be "almost sinking". For MP one has to be in place and the "hooked" detector is when the balsa core is just about to suck up water.
It may be a language issue, but when I say "on the hook", I mean this: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article227086409.html#:~:text=Pascale raised a child on a boat.&text=They live “on the hook,or the city's mooring field.  Not what I think you're meaning.

Lots of boats anchored off Kits Point here bought mainly as a cheap roof over their head a good many of which end up either on Kits Beach or the rocks of Sunset Beach during the first storm of the season.  Of course the tax payors end up paying for the removal and safe disposal because the "owners" are nowhere to be found and refuse to claim the boat (because then they would be liable for those costs).

Magic Bus was an exception.  She was an icon much like Ganbare and deserved resurrection. I don't think Max can be put in that same category.  A legend?  Possibly.  An icon? IMO, no.   

Also, quite a few old threads here about people who tried to buy MB in the past, but the owner for whatever reason refused to entertain any offers at that time.

Miss Piggy? Never heard of her.

Great Fun?  Gone a long time ago - "sunk" off the California coast.  Thread on her demise here: 

Last edited by a moderator:

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
It may be a language issue, but when I say "on the hook", I mean this: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article227086409.html#:~:text=Pascale raised a child on a boat.&text=They live “on the hook,or the city's mooring field.  Not what I think you're meaning.

Lots of boats anchored off Kits Point here bought mainly as a cheap roof over their head a good many of which end up either on Kits Beach or the rocks of Sunset Beach during the first storm of the season.  Of course the tax payors end up paying for the removal and safe disposal because the "owners" are nowhere to be found and refuse to claim the boat (because then they would be liable for those costs).

Magic Bus was an exception.  She was an icon much like Ganbare and deserved resurrection. I don't think Max can be put in that same category.  A legend?  Possibly.  An icon? IMO, no.   

Also, quite a few old threads here about people who tried to buy MB in the past, but the owner for whatever reason refused to entertain any offers at that time.

Miss Piggy? Never heard of her.

Great Fun?  Gone a long time ago - "sunk" off the California coast.  Thread on her demise here: 
Thanks for explaining "on the hook". I basically agree with you. Regarding Miss Piggy (Tony Castro) she was a half-tonner with high potential:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/E10.htm