IOR landfills?

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.
Pretty sure Mad Max is back in Vancouver.  I've seen her anchored near Jericho in the past month.  

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Pretty sure Mad Max is back in Vancouver.  I've seen her anchored near Jericho in the past month.  
Jericho has a lot of liveaboards as you probably knows and is a fairly exposed place to anchor.  Better than Kits Point I suppose - but Ladysmith or even where she was anchored inside Protection Island would be a huge improvement over being on the hook off Jericho Beach.

Good that she still is alive and does not end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc3jVMYfgy0
Better that than this.  Boat washes up on Sunset Beach (the sandy portion) this past spring and is abandoned and unclaimed.  Looters start stripping her. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/this-sailboat-has-been-washed-up-on-sunset-beach-for-a-week-2145396  This is a fairly common occurrence around here.  In a decent storm up to a half dozen boats (mainly if not solely liveaboards on the hook) have been known to wash up on the beach or rocks of English Bay.

Jericho is a couple of miles in the distance in this photo.

I for one am not optimistic about the future of Max if she is on the hook off Jericho.

sailboat-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
If I had to put a boat on the hook in the English Bay area I'd park it in Bachelor Bay near me. It looks totally exposed to Northwesterlies but for some reason the weather doesn't go into it.

image.png

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Jericho has a lot of liveaboards as you probably knows and is a fairly exposed place to anchor.  Better than Kits Point I suppose - but Ladysmith or even where she was anchored inside Protection Island would be a huge improvement over being on the hook off Jericho Beach.

Better that than this.  Boat washes up on Sunset Beach (the sandy portion) this past spring and is abandoned and unclaimed.  Looters start stripping her. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/this-sailboat-has-been-washed-up-on-sunset-beach-for-a-week-2145396  This is a fairly common occurrence around here.  In a decent storm up to a half dozen boats (mainly if not solely liveaboards on the hook) have been known to wash up on the beach or rocks of English Bay.

Jericho is a couple of miles in the distance in this photo.

I for one am not optimistic about the future of Max if she is on the hook off Jericho.

View attachment 417306
Let's hope Mad Max doesn't is washed up like that. Feels one must engage the Kiwis soon, even Laurie Davidson himself...

halfmoon

Antwerp/BEL
Poor Outsider!

https://www.yacht.de/yachten_jollen/segelsportgeschichte-ior-racer-duesselboot/a123922.html

”Klein, breit, auf das Wesentliche reduziert, mit einem flexiblen 7/8-Rigg ausgestattet: Die "Düsselboot" avancierte zum Trendsetter, und sie war vor allem eines: erfolgreich. 1981 schaffte sie überraschend den Sprung ins deutsche Admiral's-Cup-Team und setzte erste Glanzlichter. Unter ihrem neuen Namen "Outsider" holte sie ebenso unerwartet  zusammen mit "Pinta" und "Sabina" 1983 den Pokal wieder nach Deutschland.”

Google translate:

"Small, wide, reduced to the essentials, equipped with a flexible 7/8
rig: the "Düsselboot" advanced to become a trendsetter, and it was one
thing above all: successful. In 1981 she surprisingly made the leap into
the German Admiral's Cup team and set the first highlights. Under her
new name "Outsider" she unexpectedly brought the trophy back to Germany
in 1983 together with "Pinta" and "Sabina"."

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/outsider-judelvrolijk-39.html

View attachment 417093
Why 'poor Outsider'?

The article mentions that she was bought by a German a few weeks earlier for full restoration and that she was on display at the 2020 Dusseldorf boat show to conmemorate her launch just 40 years earlier... 

So I'd rather say 'Lucky Outsider'!!

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Why 'poor Outsider'?

The article mentions that she was bought by a German a few weeks earlier for full restoration and that she was on display at the 2020 Dusseldorf boat show to conmemorate her launch just 40 years earlier... 

She sat on the hard in Portsmouth for about 12 years after a hack job of a “restoration”.  Glad to see she is home again to get some love.  Great boat to sail!

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Why 'poor Outsider'?

What I mean is that she should have been taken care of at least 10 years earlier.

dave-j

My brother owned and raced Swampfire in the mid to late 80's in NO.  In fact, I met my wife while visiting him for a regatta at the bar of the Southern YC.  The side cockpits were the "sex pits" and he had a low folding lawn chair on deck behind the skipper for the tactician.  Their main competition then was a boat named "TGV" after the high speed train in France.  But nobody knew that so they surmised that TGV must mean The Goat's Vagina. 

Had some fun on Swampfire...

Latest posts