IOR landfills?

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
This would be a worthwhile 1/2 tonner to restore. My fear is that she is too far gone. Sister to my current and former boats. super sailor and fast as hell. Here she is in better days when the former caretaker picked her up.

Lickety 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
19 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

This would be a worthwhile 1/2 tonner to restore. My fear is that she is too far gone. Sister to my current and former boats. super sailor and fast as hell. Here she is in better days when the former caretaker picked her up.

Digging some nice holes in the ocean on those videos... I remember using wakes from big IOR boats to surf on downwind in my 34' ULDB.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
My brother owned and raced Swampfire in the mid to late 80's in NO.  In fact, I met my wife while visiting him for a regatta at the bar of the Southern YC.  The side cockpits were the "sex pits" and he had a low folding lawn chair on deck behind the skipper for the tactician.  Their main competition then was a boat named "TGV" after the high speed train in France.  But nobody knew that so they surmised that TGV must mean The Goat's Vagina. 

Had some fun on Swampfire...
Yea, seems to be good memories there. Feeling of being young. No Ben Johnson starting position at the doctors...

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
I've always wondered what happened to "Madcap", the 40-foot Bruce King version of the pintail concept that later led to the moderately-successful production Ericson 3/4-tonner.
I will take a look on this one. Do you have any picures?

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
No....

Only know that it looked a lot like this, only 6 feet longer...

View attachment 417659
Only found 12 year old info:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/76633-madcap-for-sale-in-hollandmi/

“Madcap (40') and Cadre(34') were custom King boats built for one of the owners of the holding company which owned Ericson, and were partly responsible for Ericson building the 34 (of mid-late 70's vintage). Check out the stern-it is just like the old Ericson 34's...”

kinardly

Super Anarchist
A shame those extreme stinger sterns didn't work well - they sure looked fast
We had an E-34 in the old San Diego IOR fleet in the early 80s, owned and raced by one of SDYC's staff commodores. It wasn't a custom Peterson/NM/Wylie 3/4T'er but she was competitive and, for some reason I never figured out, was absolutely amazing in a drifter. The keel was almost a delta planform, wide chord at the base and very short at the tip, which seemed to me to be all wrong, but the boat did well enough.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
We had an E-34 in the old San Diego IOR fleet...was competitive and...absolutely amazing in a drifter. 
Yup.  I raced a bit with hull #1 (PIzzazz) and later for several years on hull #7 (Seduction), both out of Newport Beach.  Pretty good boats, and competitive in the 3/4-ton racing throughout SoCal.  Seduction won the Ahmanson Series and the 66 Series, IIRC, as well as class in the IOR midwinters a couple of times.  Ed Adams had another E34 called Junkyard Dog that he did very well with, too.

And, yeah, surprisingly good upwind in the light stuff. In the case of Seduction, we had ~500 lbs of lead cut out of the keel, along with some other mods to keep the 3/4-ton rating, and it was a great mod for Newport.

Yup.  I raced a bit with hull #1 (PIzzazz) and later for several years on hull #7 (Seduction), both out of Newport Beach.  Pretty good boats, and competitive in the 3/4-ton racing throughout SoCal.  Seduction won the Ahmanson Series and the 66 Series, IIRC, as well as class in the IOR midwinters a couple of times.  Ed Adams had another E34 called Junkyard Dog that he did very well with, too.

And, yeah, surprisingly good upwind in the light stuff. In the case of Seduction, we had ~500 lbs of lead cut out of the keel, along with some other mods to keep the 3/4-ton rating, and it was a great mod for Newport.
The only time I have ever puked on a boat was on Seduction (tied up at Parker's Lighthouse after being at the bar too long)!

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
A shame those extreme stinger sterns didn't work well - they sure looked fast
It's all about the specifics of the measurement paradigm. They would be fast if the measurements would have been taken differently. The wider sterns were an extreme waterline lenghtening ploy. Combinded with a bustle, which made the measured waterline very short, they created an actual heeled sailing length much much longer. There are more subtleties to it invlving girths and the other weird measurements added to try to rein this stuff in. USer here named 12metre forgot more than I ever knew about these tricks.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
What happened to Gauntlet?
Good news!

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/08/admirals-cup-1979-italian-team.html

“Admiral's Cup 1979 - The Italian Team

[SIZE=10pt]This post features some photos of the top two yachts from the Italian team that contested the [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]1979 Admiral's Cup[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt], the Scott Kaufman design Vanina (44 feet long and rating 34.5ft IOR)”[/SIZE]

“Vanina was later sold to the US in 1980 or 1981 and became Gauntlet (retaining almost the same sail number - US 18188), and a model view is shown below. Gauntlet campaigned in the 1984 SORC, where she finished in ninth place in Class C, and 31st overall.”

“Gauntlet is now based in Muskegon, Michigan, on the Great Lakes. She was rescued by her current owner from New Orleans after a hurricane sunk her while in harbour. Gauntlet was lifted from the harbour bottom 1998 and shipped to Michigan and was cleaned up and restored. Gauntlet has been maintained in excellent condition (see below) and she has been the Lake Michigan boat of the year eight times in the last 15, and the crew are working hard on the ninth!”

Gauntlet Milwaukee.jpg