IOR landfills?

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA

I raced Schulykill for a memorable season in 76. She was known as "Schoolgirl" and was painted a vivid salmon pink. A seriously disreputable crew, including Richard Scott-Hughes (nicknamed "Hot Screws" in the Caribbean) on the stick, and Johnny Lawrence alternating foredeck duty with me.

We took my mainly dinghy sailing big sister out on a windy race in the West Solent. Bashing uphill with a no.4 and 2 reefs, RSH called for the full size heavy kite for the rounding. Sister went pale. "You can't!" "Quiet, woman." Up it went, and we enjoyed five minutes of immense but barely controllable velocity, before over we went and knocked the Windex off underwater. Sister never came racing with me again.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay

The same boat has been discussed back on page 22 of this thread: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/threads/ior-landfills.219494/page-22

Something wrong with the ad. Supposedly 39 ft - which it looks like it could be and advertised as an '81

But if it is 39 ft then either it is newer than '83 or not a One Tonner (I believe '83 was when the One Ton limit was raised from 27.5 to 30.5)

I think it was resolved back then that despite the "Silver Apple" name, this was more likely a Geraghty built N/M 41 than a Ron Holland design.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Sorry, not buying a fucking ad for a free boat. But thanks for reminding me my I left this site!

yes, that is me, Seems my phone remembers the account that I couldn't remember my password. Nothing I tried reset the pw, so I gave up and created a new account. Sadly, not the first time that's happened, but CRS disease has completely rendered my original account unobtainable. To bad, as that account has several thousand's of posts. Yea, I've been around here on and off for well over 10 years. I used to have most of the *holes on ignore, but that list is long gone. I'll cool down soon and start ignoring people again, till then, they can all FO!

IIRC, under previous ownership, ads under a prescribed amount were free. Good luck. Sailed a bit on a T4, not bad.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Yes, same boat. And we had plenty of clearance to the car carrier. After the '84 Sardine Cup she was donated to the US Naval Academy. Have no idea what happened after that

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Yes, same boat. And we had plenty of clearance to the car carrier. After the '84 Sardine Cup she was donated to the US Naval Academy. Have no idea what happened after that
IIRC, articles I read said something like 2-3 seconds. Assuming the car carrier was doing 15 knots means 50-75 ft. Which I suppose could be considered plenty of clearance depending on how you define it.

Or is my recollection completely off? I wasn't there just recalling what I read at the time.

Just found an article and in the photo it looks like there was plenty of clearance but it also says the closest they came was within 75 feet: https://books.google.ca/books?id=5eirAWyFIr8C&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=secret+love+sailing+coast+guard&source=bl&ots=XlP-E3oWCo&sig=ACfU3U3roGnW7FXA3H_Mj1n3DqU90SfUjg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPmLrax6H6AhXgAzQIHe-aB9oQ6AF6BAgpEAM#v=onepage&q=secret love sailing coast guard&f=false
Interesting read nonetheless.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
IIRC, articles I read said something like 2-3 seconds. Assuming the car carrier was doing 15 knots means 50-75 ft. Which I suppose could be considered plenty of clearance depending on how you define it.

Or is my recollection completely off? I wasn't there just recalling what I read at the time.

Just found an article and in the photo it looks like there was plenty of clearance but it also says the closest they came was within 75 feet: https://books.google.ca/books?id=5eirAWyFIr8C&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=secret+love+sailing+coast+guard&source=bl&ots=XlP-E3oWCo&sig=ACfU3U3roGnW7FXA3H_Mj1n3DqU90SfUjg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPmLrax6H6AhXgAzQIHe-aB9oQ6AF6BAgpEAM#v=onepage&q=secret love sailing coast guard&f=false
Interesting read nonetheless.
This would probably have been the result had not sailors of the caliber of Lowell North been aboard.

Screwing around with big commercial ships when you are playing with toy boats is just stupid no matter how good you think you are.

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Contessa 39,
I think she raced as Khamsin in the 80's around seattle

Screenshot_20220919-161142~2.png

LeCanard

Quack, quack, quack…
nautor-swan-65 travel.jpg

Swan 65
Did lots of jobs on this one when Rolf owned it. Mostly with maintaining vintage Sailor stuff, Neco autopilot and B&G grey boxes, and later installing a H2000 and a Garmin plotter. Though, owner insisted in keeping old kemetal transducers and the C MHU, which weren't too reliable.
Not really sure what upgrades Jacob did when he took over her.

Latest posts