IOR landfills?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

The first stern like that I saw was Speirhead, the first Spencer 34 designed by Vlad Plavsic - a local architect and part time yacht designer.

It was designed & built for the 3/4 Ton Worlds in Victoria in '78. I was building my first 1/4 Pounder and his boat was parked in front of mine for final fitout. I commented to him about how smooth & undistorted the run was and he was like a kid with a new toy - "Isn't it just beautiful!" with a big grin - practically jumping up & down with excitement. :)

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
The first stern like that I saw was Speirhead, the first Spencer 34 designed by Vlad Plavsic - a local architect and part time yacht designer.

It was designed & built for the 3/4 Ton Worlds in Victoria in '78. I was building my first 1/4 Pounder and his boat was parked in front of mine for final fitout. I commented to him about how smooth & undistorted the run was and he was like a kid with a new toy - "Isn't it just beautiful!" with a big grin - practically jumping up & down with excitement. :)
It reminds me a bit of the stern on my boat. The run is very clean, almost non IORish.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist

A beauty:
1664014249892.png

More: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Trois Quart/Yokohama.htm

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay

Not as smooth or fair of a run to the stern as some may think.

Definite signs of a variation of the "Davidson crease" You can see the discontinuity in the reflections around the boot stripes at the stern.

Not too dissimilar to what Jeppesen did on his IOR X-Boats. Below is an X 3/4 Ton

On the other hand, there were quite a few IOR boats of that era with smooth runs aft. Particularly in some French boats.

Excep 17 1.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Compared to what?

This was "normal" at the time Plavsic did the Spencer 34.

View attachment 542855
A Dehler DB2 for example, but there were others in the 80s. Most by Andrieu or Briand in the 80s.

Plavsic was one of the earlier ones. I could never figure out how he could design a 34 ft with such little apparent stern overhang and smooth aft run - and still rate in at 3/4 Ton. Mind you, it was a moderately successful boat, but it could have come done to who was on the boat at the 3/4 Ton Worlds. Hard to beat the likes of North and Buchan no matter how fast your boat is.

It would have been interesting to see the IOR cert for Spierhead.

Stern.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
A Dehler DB2 for example, but there were others in the 80s. Most by Andrieu or Briand in the 80s.

Plavsic was one of the earlier ones. I could never figure out how he could design a 34 ft with such little apparent stern overhang and smooth aft run - and still rate in at 3/4 Ton. Mind you, it was a moderately successful boat, but it could have come done to who was on the boat at the 3/4 Ton Worlds. Hard to beat the likes of North and Buchan no matter how fast your boat is.

It would have been interesting to see the IOR cert for Spierhead.

View attachment 542869
All I know about it was that the guys from Spencers were cutting a big window out of the keel pretty high up - presumably to get it to rate in. Taking a skill saw to a keel. :eek:

It competed at the worlds so it definitely rated 24.5

Latest posts