IOR landfills?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
All I know about it was that the guys from Spencers were cutting a big window out of the keel pretty high up - presumably to get it to rate in. Taking a skill saw to a keel. :eek:

It competed at the worlds so it definitely rated 24.5
I wasn't questioning the rating.

It's just with IOR there were 3 basic tradeoffs: Rated SA, DSPL, and L. From the info below, the Spencer 34 had pretty typical SA, and displacement, meaning L would be pretty typical as well. It just looked like she would have a greater than typical L given the smooth run and seemingly short aft overhang in the drawing below. Perhaps the drawing isn't representative, but the ones in the water still gave that impression to me.

I always felt the Spencer was the nicest looking production 3/4 Ton in North America - after the later J/34, and the Spencer had a more cruisable interior. I was half thinking of making an offer for the one in Victoria last year - but it sold fairly quickly. I'm fairly sure you know of the one I am thinking of. It may have been the old Spierhead - renamed Up Spirits. Raced against Up Spirits some 30 years ago in Victoria.

13356_02_grande.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I always felt the Spencer was the nicest looking production 3/4 Ton in North America - after the later J/34, and the Spencer had a more cruisable interior. I was half thinking of making an offer for the one in Victoria last year - but it sold fairly quickly. I'm fairly sure you know of the one I am thinking of. It may have been the old Spierhead - renamed Up Spirits. Raced against Up Spirits some 30 years ago in Victoria.

View attachment 543057
Did it have the New York 36 dinette under the cockpit interior?

Speirhead did

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Did it have the New York 36 dinette under the cockpit interior?

Speirhead did
No - double quarterberth and conventional companionway galley with opposite nav station. So not Speirhead and means at least 3 were built.

I thought the NY 36 was about the only boat with that layout, but the Spencer preceded it by a few years. Vlad had some innovative ideas. The high bridgedeck (like the NY 36) certainly facilitated such an arrangement. I always thought it looked like an appealing layout - but I don't know if it was entirely practical or not.

Certainly allows an under companionway engine to become part of useful area rather than a barrier and allows relatively easy access to the engine. Up Spirits below to refresh your memory.

100170217_934.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I've never seen that one so that means at least 4 - Speirhead, Coho, that one and a sort of mustard yellow one that was for sale in Delta a year or 3 ago.
I thought you were the one who brought this one up when it was for sale. I remember someone mentioned it and provided a link to the UsedVictoria ad - a website I seldom go to. If not you then perhaps LordBooster posted it? It had a listing price of $12k IIRC.

Found a link to the ad from last year: https://www.usedvictoria.com/sail-boats/38950839

Could use some work, but not too bad for a +40 year old boat.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I thought you were the one who brought this one up when it was for sale. I remember someone mentioned it and provided a link to the UsedVictoria ad - a website I seldom go to. If not you then perhaps LordBooster posted it? It had a listing price of $12k IIRC.

Found a link to the ad from last year: https://www.usedvictoria.com/sail-boats/38950839

Could use some work, but not too bad for a +40 year old boat.
I don't remember seeing an ad for the yellow one you mention. I only remember the 2 Mull 3/4 Tons for sale that were truly IOR landfills. But I would take a Spencer 34 over any of the Mull 3/4 Tons any day.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I don't remember seeing an ad for the yellow one you mention. I only remember the 2 Mull 3/4 Tons for sale that were truly IOR landfills.
It was only up for a short time - needed an engine IIRC.

I remember Clockwork Rocketship for sale in a derelict condition well up the Fraser but the only other Mull I remember from those Worlds was New Infidel, the alloy "Swampfire" copy and it went somewhere else.

What was the other one you saw for sale?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I remember Clockwork Rocketship for sale in a derelict condition well up the Fraser but the only other Mull I remember from those Worlds was New Infidel, the alloy "Swampfire" copy and it went somewhere else.

What was the other one you saw for sale?
Impatience? The allegedly soggy decked one. I don't think she participated at the Worlds, but she was built for that.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
It was only up for a short time - needed an engine IIRC.
if it needed an engine - it must have sold for next to nothing. I hope the person who bought it didn't strap an outboard onto the transom , which is usually the case unfortunately.

BTW, Mad Max was in our yard last week. Hit a rock. Surprised it took this long.

Didn't seem to be in too bad a shape considering it is now a rather nomadic liveaboard. I was expecting worse.

Apparently the owner uses a Catalina 27 mainsail on her because he either doesn't understand or like runners/checks. Probably a wise move and I suspect the Cat 27 main generates relatively little load so mast inversion isn't much of an issue. Must be painfully slow to sail though - but I suspect the owner doesn't care - it is a home now, not a sailboat.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
if it needed an engine - it must have sold for next to nothing. I hope the person who bought it didn't strap an outboard onto the transom , which is usually the case unfortunately.

BTW, Mad Max was in our yard last week. Hit a rock. Surprised it took this long.

Didn't seem to be in too bad a shape considering it is now a rather nomadic liveaboard. I was expecting worse.

Apparently the owner uses a Catalina 27 mainsail on her because he either doesn't understand or like runners/checks. Probably a wise move and I suspect the Cat 27 main generates relatively little load so mast inversion isn't much of an issue. Must be painfully slow to sail though - but I suspect the owner doesn't care - it is a home now, not a sailboat.

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
I think that's the port the mad viking (Erik, "No Bullshit, Just Sailing") sails from, Maybe we could ask him to check her out.
That can certainly help. I have failed to trace the current owner. Very good if you contact this Erik. This is what the yacht looked about 10 years ago:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Impatience? The allegedly soggy decked one. I don't think she participated at the Worlds, but she was built for that.
Oh yeah - I recall an article in PY when she was built - looked good in bright orange outside but it said the interior looked like it had been built in a couple of hours by a guy with a chainsaw. :D

Latest posts