IOR landfills?

LordBooster

Super Anarchist

enovaexperiencia: Sailing tour in Ilhabela, FAST 310 designed by Philippe Briand​

1665429660486.png

Compare: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/BR2.htm

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Funny, I am "forbidden" from that site? Was hoping to see more. That boat has some weird curves and looks bigger than a 1/4 ton.
You must be a young'un to not know of Magic Bus. Won the '76 QT Worlds in Corpus Christi, TX

Perhaps the most well known IOR design after Ganbare

Anyway, here is a short video on the restoration of "the Bus" and a bit of her history:

Glad they got rid of the hideous repaint and returned her to her original colour scheme.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Funny, I am "forbidden" from that site? Was hoping to see more. That boat has some weird curves and looks bigger than a 1/4 ton.
Yes she got some curves, designer Paul Whiting played the design constraints to the max.
Heres the Sailboat data page on her:

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
This is probably for the Australian IOR brains trust among us.

Just recently a boat has appeared in the bay near my boat. It looks like a small Mottle 33 with a lower proportional freeboard so I'm assuming an Adams half tonner or such. The odd thing is it has the same center cockpit/ aft cabin as the Mottle 33 so the hull looks production, but it has a tall IOR fractional rig with jumpers, very not production.

I tried to remember the name but didn't however I did remember seeing GFS on the stern (I think), so I'm assuming previously Greenwich Flying Squadron? It was an odd duck but very well kept/ maintained...

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
You must be a young'un to not know of Magic Bus. Won the '76 QT Worlds in Corpus Christi, TX

Anyway, here is a short video on the restoration of "the Bus" and a bit of her history:

Glad they got rid of the hideous repaint and returned her to her original colour scheme.

I wish I was that young, but didn't get to sail anything bigger than Chrysler "lone star" until the mid 70's. I did have a subscription to "Sail" back then and I sort of remember the name, or maybe it was the 8 track tapes of the Who.

Thanks for the information. Neat looking boat and yeah, the color is nice.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

I was thinking the opposite - that burgundy red is way better than the horrid pale blue & red it was returned to. If it was all or nearly all that colour it would be much better IMO.

Although I realize that in museum piece cases like this originality is probably the best way to go.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Found a photo I hadn't seen before of Smackwater Jack, the ill-fated One Ton sibling of Magic Bus.

This was taken during the '77 trials - before they had to hastily replace the cabin top with a hideous plywood box structure in order to meet the OTC headroom requirements. Quite a nice looking boat as built - other than the paint job, IMO.

But hey, it was the 70's and I've seen worse from that era. She was later repainted to more of a Magic Bus scheme, except more of a grey than light blue (SJB might even approve), although it is hard to tell from the few photos of her with the repaint as in the last photo.

Smackwater Jack MM.jpg

Smack W en 79.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone got a good photo of the Sydney 2 tonner Shogun? The airbrush work on her was supposed to have cost $16K in 1979!

Was known as the "panel van" personally I liked it, but the only photo I have of her has the topsides in shade and doesn't show the paint job well enough to post, besides it is framed & on the wall.

She was a sister to Impetuous but was not finished in time for the Admirals Cup trials, great upwind in light air, but is the only boat i've been on to clean the windex 3 times in one downhill race!

Found a photo I hadn't seen before of Smackwater Jack, the ill-fated One Ton sibling of Magic Bus.

This was taken during the '77 trials - before they had to hastily replace the cabin top with a hideous plywood box structure in order to meet the OTC headroom requirements. Quite a nice looking boat as built - other than the paint job, IMO.

But hey, it was the 70's and I've seen worse from that era. She was later repainted to more of a Magic Bus scheme, except more of a grey than light blue (SJB might even approve), although it is hard to tell from the few photos of her with the repaint as in the last photo.

View attachment 545819

View attachment 545821
Spooky.....In the top photo the bow of the blue boat is the one I did the Southern Cross/SH in '79. Farr 1104. We were 20 odd miles from SJ when she went down in the the Tasman in 1980

Latest posts