IOR landfills?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
That;s a great looking boat!  What is it?
A Bob Miller 3/4 ton - Scorpio I think.  Didn't do very well.  For some reason, I think this may have originally had something like a bulb but it's hard to tell from the photo.  Remember reading about a Miller 3/4 Ton BITD that did poorly especially upwind and it was wondered if the bulb added enough to the pitching moment to account for the poor upwind performance.  Of course Miller's preference at the time for quite full bows would account for that as well - although it would certainly help her offwind speed.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
A Bob Miller 3/4 ton - Scorpio I think.  Didn't do very well.  For some reason, I think this may have originally had something like a bulb but it's hard to tell from the photo.  Remember reading about a Miller 3/4 Ton BITD that did poorly especially upwind and it was wondered if the bulb added enough to the pitching moment to account for the poor upwind performance.  Of course Miller's preference at the time for quite full bows would account for that as well - although it would certainly help her offwind speed.
Plus his "oeuvre" was almost as uneven as Chance's - flashes of brilliance interspersed with periods in the dog pound.

silversurfer

Denmark
...  OK..... so someone sell me on the cockpit layout concept.....
The Elvstrom half-tonner was a big thing in Denmark in the early 70'ies. I remember walking through the cabin between the trenches 13 year old and sitting down at the chart table facing backwards. It was a revelation. The pantry not so much as it was under one of the bathtubs, and the loo was under the aft hatch. When you used it all of your upper body was exposed.

It sailed extremely well and I would estimate the number of different decks (including home builds on the same hull) to be well over 10 during the few years it was in production. Still a very beautiful hull/boat. Remembering the build weight of the time most of them are probably soft by now.

The trenches were also used on some bigger Australian boats - I vaguely remember GIngko ? On these boats they were supplemented with a small aft cockpit for the helmsman.

I really like the layout of Motorboat 2 - somewhat later, but looks extremely safe and comfortable in this video: (https://www.facebook.com/motorboat.E10.5/videos/901629543608001)

Of course there must be a price to pay down below.....

Last edited by a moderator:

trisail

Anarchist
Good evening,

Yep, a Miller and Whitworth 35. 3/4 Tonner designed back in 1975.

4 wooden ones were built in Durban, South Africa for the 1976 Cape To Rio Race.

Cloud Nine which scored a 3rd or 4th overall and a class win.

Red Amber, Soundwave and Scorpio were the other three.

At launching time the local yachting press referred to them as small Ceil 111's.

Miller and Whitworth did a lot of those cockpit designs .Apollo, Ceil 111 and Ginkgo also featured them.

BayRacer

Anarchist
32' Pearson Custom 32 SCREECH

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/60535?fbclid=IwAR0C0gHR_bZQlv1tk8oGusqRLrEZPZ252lFxxzapaeRsvd45Wrq_N-PrxUQ

About designer Bill Shaw: "He joined the renowned firm of Sparkman & Stephens Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (S&S) in October 1952 as a designer. In 1961, he became a manager of Products of Asia, and was the chief designer of the America’s Cup defender Columbia.", see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shaw_(yacht_designer)?fbclid=IwAR1BBD_GqKY-hmcLqmStzwUv30HymtU6PLXnd2_4IN9QxuNS1zeGTDnwwTU
That boat has been around WI forever.  The coamings around the cockpit are not original, a previous owner added those maybe 10 some years ago.  It looks good in the water, but when she is sitting on a trailer (not a road trailer, just for moving around the winter storage yard) it seems a wonder she floats on her lines.  Very rounded underbody, lots of internal ballast (mentioned in ad).

Bowchow

Anarchist
This one is very close to succumbing to the sad fate of most of these boats. 

Been anchored here about a month, with multiple sportfish going by at cruise maybe 20/30' away. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. 

IMG_0471 copy.jpg 1603788037_IMG_0476copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Ranger [Mull ]26-2 on Ebay for a song.https://www.ebay.com/itm/114870306051?hash=item1abecdc503:g:Hn8AAOSwK0FgxRaX

m
That is sorely tempting.  Seller has titles and demands we go before a notary at sale.  (That is Very Good!) Say $500 for the boat and my guess a thousand or a bit more for the trailer (assuming the frame is capable) Say $1500 for running and standing rigging and at least $2000 more for everything else.  Total cost, at least $5000.00.  That is assuming the hull is dry and blister free and the dagger rod winch system is usable.  Given some blistering or a soggy hull, or being a cistern for several years, she would be a candidate for the landfill.  

Actually considering four new tires, bearings and tie downs, wiring and lights as well as a new trailer winch I am probably low on the trailer.  Oh, the cost of driving a couple thousand miles is going to take about 75 gallons of fuel at $3.00 (if I’m lucky) adds another $225 to the cost

Proof, cheap boats are rarely cheap.  

Bowchow

Anarchist
No name on her. If you zoom in you can see the reggo. Looks like CT.

With the recent squalls we've been having I'm sure that cabin top has seen the sun for the last time for quite awhile by now. 

guerdon

Anarchist
Santana, I. got the little sister [Ranger 22].   So far the costs have been quite reasonable.  My boats build quality is fine and all of the fittings are first rate and functional .  Hopefully the buyer of this  boat will also score.   You are smart to be careful but It doesn't feel like a fixer.  Just a tired owner.   Good luck.