IOR landfills?

Ramona

Australia
Kalik 33 3/4 tonner. I wanted to buy this particular yacht a few years ago. Now has come on the market requiring a few repairs. It will be a rotted teak/ply deck problem for sure. Easy straight forward job to rip off the teak and replace the ply and cover with epoxy and cloth. Definitely good value and if I had not bought my SS34 with the same deck job I would jump at this.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/miranda/sail-boats/kalik-33-yacht/1276206436

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Kalik 33 3/4 tonner. I wanted to buy this particular yacht a few years ago. Now has come on the market requiring a few repairs. It will be a rotted teak/ply deck problem for sure. Easy straight forward job to rip off the teak and replace the ply and cover with epoxy and cloth. Definitely good value and if I had not bought my SS34 with the same deck job I would jump at this.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/miranda/sail-boats/kalik-33-yacht/1276206436
Just below this ad they also had a Scott Kaufman designed boat that looked pretty good.  Alas, it was a might too far for a quick drive down for a quick inspection.  A mere 8021 miles air miles.  

LordBooster

Super Anarchist
Minit designed by Gary Mull

217786181_10223236674337478_3091422084748836749_n.jpg

https://www.blocket.se/annons/goteborg/vacker_minit_minitonnare/96588915?fbclid=IwAR3mAoTByj7rye-J_OOs9NXZAXH2z2PNafuw1hTsOex0M1VWR8N6xtW50ns

Google translate of link above: "Really fresh little sailboat. Random due to engine problems. Volvo Penta MB2 / 50S inboard that takes cooling water into the oil. Have messed with it but do not have the knowledge so I am tired.
Very new and changed in recent years. Three foresails plus spinnaker and mainsail ..
Pointing, fresh cushions, dual batteries. Repair the engine or hang on an outboard and you have a good and flexible sailboat in good condition.
Located on Hönö. The boat is in the lake but is unmasked. Supports for installation on land are included. (See picture)
The boat is easy to transport on a boat trailer. Weighs 1000 kg.
First come. Call and I'll tell you more.
More info www.sailguide.com/batfakta/minit.
Cheaper for fast and smooth business. Has to go."

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I think someone inquired about the Kaufman 46 in the Seattle area that was for sale a while back - but had sold before he could look into it.

In any event, the boat is for sale again at a much reduced price of USD 11k.  I've always liked the look of the Kaufman IOR designs and this one looks to be in reasonable shape.  I would be interested except it is way too big for my use - plus the teak decks.  

Here is the CL Ad: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/south-prairie-kaufman-46-sloop-1981/7353087951.html

7248421_20191011140141336_1_XLARGE.jpg

7248421_20191011140118192_1_XLARGE.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Unfortunately, this one was getting into the era of the "pop top" boats - with the collapsible cabins.

I seem to recall a photo of a  custom Dubois or Humphreys QT with a shallow cockpit extending from stern to bow with a pop top cabin.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Looks like a steal for a handy person.

That's a Pathfinder diesel isn't it?

The teak deck is scary but within the limits of the pics it doesn't look toasted.
I always get tempted by these sorts of deals - but the cost of maintaining is above what I want to afford.  Plus finding a slip would be extremely difficult if not impossible locally for at least 5 years.  I figure 35 ft LOA is my max and preferably smaller

Unfortunately, this one was getting into the era of the "pop top" boats - with the collapsible cabins.

I seem to recall a photo of a  custom Dubois or Humphreys QT with a shallow cockpit extending from stern to bow with a pop top cabin.
Everyone bar the bowman through the cockpit on tacks. Those coachroofs don't make stacking the rail with extra weight easy

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I think someone inquired about the Kaufman 46 in the Seattle area that was for sale a while back -

View attachment 452684

Yeah.  That was in the water in front of Anthony's in Everett for over a year... then was on the hard at the yard for a long time.  Then gone, and apparently now back on the market, but 50 miles further south in the Sound....

The boat a appeared (from the outside) to have been decently maintained.  It's a winch-farm, and a lot of the gear seems oversized (which makes me think it is either really heavy, or was massively over-spec'd.... I mean, Barient two-speeds for the traveler winches?)  

No idea what it's like mechanically or structurally.  Priced at $11k, I can probably make some guesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
That offset hatch under the traveler is pretty scary too.
Yes, WTF is up with that?  And it's not like it was an owner mod, Kaufman's deck plan below shows it that way as well.

Yeah.  That was in the water in front of Anthony's in Everett for over a year... then was on the hard at the yard for a long time.  Then gone, and apparently now back on the market, but 50 miles further south in the Sound....

The boat a appeared (from the outside) to have been decently maintained.  It's a winch-farm, and a lot of the gear seems oversized (which makes me think it is either really heavy, or was massively over-spec'd.... I mean, Barient two-speeds for the traveler winches?)  

No idea what it's like mechanically or structurally.  Priced at $11k, I can probably make some guesses.
Could be mechanical or structural issues, but I will hazard a guess that it is market driven.  As much as I like the looks of her - who would possibly buy this boat?

A racer?  IOR boats are long past their best before date and pretty much guaranteed that the sail inventory is pooched, so what another $30-40k for a bare bones inventory?

A PNW cruiser?  Huge interior, but the deck plan is not conducive to short handed sailing or entertainment.  I couldn't imagine short handed sailing with one person in the aft helmsmans tub and someone trimming in the very exposed forward grinders foxhole where you can't even sit on the deck due to the surrounding winch farm.  For entertaining, there's nothing like a spacious cockpit for that and this just has two small isolated trenches - with no real seating capacity.

Anyways, beautiful boat, but no way would I consider her.

If I were to lose my mind and consider a boat in this size range, I would go with the Serendipity 41 for sale in SoCal for $14k which may have a semi-usable club racing sail inventory.

6629823_20180227122208159_1_XLARGE (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: