IOR Lives!

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Mine - 

Pretty-Penny-1.jpg

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Myron took care of her for years, and built the funny moulded fiberglass engine cowling wich minimised the space taken up but the engine in the middle of the cabin.. She was a sweet ride.

She didn't have any IOR bumps and measured in as a maxi MORC as I remember it. Gary Mull design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
Ta for that Video - reminded me to be thankful for all the good stuff I've had the great fortune to experience ....they were great times...great teams with comrades, great regattas in fantastic locations...and yes, great boats...as one of them was so aptly named...Great Fun!

crashdog

Anarchist
Ha,  those were hairy chested days!  Memories of stiff Line 7s, wet curly dog hair, and  close crossings where the tactician could have passed the bow a drink in passing.  I think we were in it for the sheer madness of the boat dropping deeper and deeper into the hole in the water the more we pushed it.  That and the racer-chasers, of course. 

There aren't many people that I would merrily trust to leave a shore and cross a windy ocean with, and they all come from that era.

The old IOR days were as good as it got. Yes, the boats were slow compared to what we sail now, but technology and materials have advanced about 35 years since the last IOR boat was built. It was without a doubt the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Yes, it was lots of fun, particularly for us itinerant boat jockeys.  Cowes, Sydney, SORC, Hawaii, Sardinia and about everywhere else too.  And some magic deliveries on the big boats.

Bashing uphill with a number 5 jib and two reefs, the only decisions were which kite to carry for the next leg, and do we do a bear-away set or gybe set.  Or the miraculous race-winning tack-gybe-set if it was a starboard rounding. 

And which staysail to plug in afterwards.

I know I sound like a cracked record, but it really was a metric shed-load of fun.

SF Woody Sailor

Super Anarchist
Ta for that Video - reminded me to be thankful for all the good stuff I've had the great fortune to experience ....they were great times...great teams with comrades, great regattas in fantastic locations...and yes, great boats...as one of them was so aptly named...Great Fun!
Great Fun (Davidson 50) continued to have a long life as a single-handed ocean racer around here.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Oh Baby, what a time we had. Loved the sail inventories as a sailmaker, light #1, Heavy #1, Medium #1, #2,3,4, storm jib and staysails, spinnakers, bloopers, and on and on plus the winch farms and hydraulics for everything.  Great to see the photos, definitely brings back a lot of memories, and did we have fun when not on the race course?  Just sayin, what happened at the regatta stayed at the regatta.

Last edited by a moderator:

snake

Does anyone know who shot the pictures of the 50's in Newport?  In particular the shot of SPRINGBOK under water in a jibe?

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
JimBowie said:
The opening photos was made in 1990.  Last time an IOR regatta was held.  Yeah sure they were cool back in the day.  But so was Bush 41 and Reagan.
1990 was not the last IOR regatta...

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Great video.  The Glory Days for sure.... Think Blackaller was on the helm in one of those shots?

F'ing rubber Line 7 gear duck taped to rubber boots....