iPad for nav

964racer

SF Bay Area
Looking to upgrade my iPad as I need one I can draw on for teaching, but also I’d like to use it onboard ( and in the cockpit ) for navigation . I’m considering the iPad Pro 11 or 12.9 . Has anyone used the 12.9 for sailing ?  Is it too big .?  Also what navigation software/ charting software  is currently the best for a tablet device ?  I have tried iNavX.  It’s seemed just ok but I have not dove into all the features .

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I’ve been  using the iPad for many years

Works  fine 

its very old ... 2009... SIM card chip , Bluetooth , WiFi model 

minimum storage 

the nav program is called ISailor.  It’s first class , world wide coverage 

weather program  , gribs , is called Weather Track . It’s simple and  well presented

Don’t know anything about the new iPad products 

My old iPad uses plenty of power , battery time is limited 

1FE02ECA-DA43-4CD2-B4CF-2B0ACF26001E.jpeg

C8358B7C-DB13-4D70-83EC-E43088377B9C.jpeg

SurleySailor

Norwalk CT
I use an iPad as primary navigation. I run INavX as I prefer that to iSailor. I also have a Vesper XB 8000 + a Yakka Seatalk1 to NmeA converter so I have AIS and all of my instruments on there as well. I use navionics charts and like them. 

gn4478

Perth Amboy, NJ
I have the big 12.9. iNavX and a link program to my Zeus 3.  Battery power is an issue if you leave the screen on. I have a backup battery for it. I have a waterproof case. There were not the best mounting options that have waterproof cases when I bought it.

Ocean View

Australia
+1 for isailor
I run it on a mini 1 and mini 5 as i find the form factor better.  Now run it on 2 x devices as I upgraded to the mini 5 and the licence can be active on both devices.

Prefer to expedition for offshore racing with polars, targets etc, but isailor on the mini is good as a backup, cruising or inshore jaunts.

iNavX

I use an iPad as primary navigation. I run INavX as I prefer that to iSailor. I also have a Vesper XB 8000 + a Yakka Seatalk1 to NmeA converter so I have AIS and all of my instruments on there as well. I use navionics charts and like them. 
I've got an XB 8000 working with my iPad and iNavX, too. My instruments are all Furuno and N2K based already, so I don't have any real conversion issues there.