IRC Minutes

Jen

Super Anarchist
Jeez, 3 posts in and the negativity starts. I suppose if we didn't hold an annual meeting of international owners' representatives, everyone would complain that 'IRC doesn't discuss things with it's constituents' ?

It was actually very useful for everyone - it's as much about different countries comparing notes and ideas as talking about rule changes etc. (and much informal discussion goes on outside the meeting in addition to what's in the minutes!)

MSA

Anarchist
Perth
Jen when will the new headsail measurement rules come into affect? From the date of the meeting or from the date of an Amendment to the current rule book or next years rule book?

Jen

Super Anarchist
Jen when will the new headsail measurement rules come into affect? From the date of the meeting or from the date of an Amendment to the current rule book or next years rule book?
From next year's rule, so 1 Jan 2013 for 'North' cert year (Jan-Dec) and 1 June 2013 for 'South' cert year (Jun-May).

Jen

It was actually very useful for everyone - it's as much about different countries comparing notes and ideas as talking about rule changes etc. (and much informal discussion goes on outside the meeting in addition to what's in the minutes!)
I was struck by how remarkably similar the discussion seemed to be to that of our local phrf board; how to keep things fair & appealing, how to deal with "outlier" boats, suggestions for tweaks to rules to improve the process overall.

Seems like "rule beaters" are still scratching at the door: "The IRC Technical Committee has concerns that publishing more data will enable designers to better 'optimise' boats and therefore does not intend to generally increase the data pubically available." but hasn't that boat already sailed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Covey

Ireland
From the Irish contingent:

"As everywhere, boat numbers are down with an apparent shift towards older,

smaller boats. Some of these (older ¼ tonners) appear to be fast for their

TCCs."

Nice touch of understatement there about the qtr tonners...

tuf-luf

Super Anarchist
Bangrak
From next year's rule, so 1 Jan 2013 for 'North' cert year (Jan-Dec) and 1 June 2013 for 'South' cert year (Jun-May).

Jen
Better June than Jan for us...I suppose...seeing as how I just spent a brazillion Sterling on North's latest and greatest.

Ferk. Hope I'm not going to regret it.

Jen

Super Anarchist

Jen
Better June than Jan for us...I suppose...seeing as how I just spent a brazillion Sterling on North's latest and greatest.

Ferk. Hope I'm not going to regret it.
Not unless it's designed as a rule cheater tuffie!

MSA

Anarchist
Perth
Low Clewed Zero for upwind, Higher clew for blast reaching.

A3 that furls into an A5/7..

Foam luff type setup to flatten sail with just a turn or 2 on the furling drum..

The list does on...I can think of heaps of ways to add extra "sails" to your inventory for an Ocean race.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Ugh!! I'd rather have a root canal with no pain killer.
Oh come on, what's not to like about a fleet of beautifully restored race boats.

As for the Irish comment, so there's a bunch of heavy-spending owners with some of the best crews around and here they go winning a lot. Funny, that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The introduction of HUW has probably got something to do with these headsail designs from Doyle. The intention from the sail designer was not to cheat the rule into thinking that we had less sail area than we are rated for but to come up with a more efficient sail profile.

I know the actual surface area of the sail because that is what the price of the sail depends upon and that varies from the rated sail area because of things like foot round and the sail shrinks when you put the luff tape on.

We have a local measured rule which dropped the 7/8 width last year only to re-introduce it once we designed these jibs and the rating change was unmeasurable. It will be interesting to see how a more generally more forward thinking IRC treats this development.

IMG_0233.JPG