irresponsible gun owners?

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
You've carried a gun as a soldier, haven't you badlat?

How would you react if the other soldiers got the normal military issue weapon but you got a Ruger 10-22 with a telecsoping stock when headed off to combat?

Would you then be willing to say that DiFi is full of shit and a 10-22 is not a military weapon?

If you did and she asked why you were saying a 10-22 is harmless, would you think that's a load of strawman BS?
Mine is more assaulty than yours.

HPIM1562.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Accidents happen.  “The number one thing is you have to be prepared to take another life if it came down to it. If you’re not prepared for that, you shouldn’t have a gun.”

Tough read -

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/good-guys-with-guns-shoot-wrong-people-in-seconds-of-panic

She Thought She’d Shot A Burglar. Then She Realized It Was Her Roommate.

Good guys with guns don’t only shoot bad guys. At least 47 times since 2015, a person has shot a friend, family member, or emergency responder they mistook for an intruder in their home.
I'm glad she doesn't keep it under her pillow any more. More of a formerly irresponsible gun owner, but we don't have a thread for those.

He seems to have taken the lesson to be "don't own guns." His choice, but I'd suggest an additional lesson might be: don't try to startle her again.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I'm glad she doesn't keep it under her pillow any more. More of a formerly irresponsible gun owner, but we don't have a thread for those.

He seems to have taken the lesson to be "don't own guns." His choice, but I'd suggest an additional lesson might be: don't try to startle her again.
Fucking hell..she's still got the gun..my sympathy just took a nose dive.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Fucking hell..she's still got the gun..my sympathy just took a nose dive.
The noise startled Alexis Bukrym. It was a crashing sound, near the front of her apartment, and a few seconds later, another noise twisted her stomach and rattled her nerves: the sound of her bedroom doorknob jiggling, then turning, and the door swinging open with a creak.

There’d been a series of car break-ins at the Ocala, Florida, apartment complex, and Bukrym and her neighbors worried that burglaries would come next. “Everybody in our community was on edge,” she said.
Here's a good prank idea: Try to scare heck out of an armed and nervous roommate!

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
here's a better one...don't room with nervous person with a gun under her pillow.
Better yet, stay away from gun owners altogether.

"Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.1  That is, a gun is more likely to be used to kill or injure an innocent person in the home than a threatening intruder."

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/dangers-of-gun-use-for-self-defense-statistics/

VhmSays

Supreme Anarchist
No "who is it", no warning shout/shot and totally ready to do it again.

“It’s unfortunate it was my friend behind the door, but if it hadn’t been I would have saved my own life and his, too. If somebody is busting through my door, I would pull the trigger every time.”

No need to enquire if its kids, friends, family or a room mate trying to get in shoot first check later just in case its someone coming to harm her.

She’d spent most of the evening drinking beer and Sake bombs before shooting her roommate cause he opened the door and walked in and the cops gave her her gun back. A responsible gun owner.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
No "who is it", no warning shout/shot and totally ready to do it again.

“It’s unfortunate it was my friend behind the door, but if it hadn’t been I would have saved my own life and his, too. If somebody is busting through my door, I would pull the trigger every time.”

No need to enquire if its kids, friends, family or a room mate trying to get in shoot first check later just in case its someone coming to harm her.
Didn't work so well for Oscar Pistorius.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I never did understand why you think .22s are harmless
I never did understand why you think strawmen are so fun, but I learned something about battlefield .22's today.

Did you tell them that the Israeli Army uses them for sniper weapons? 

8.jpg

Operator armed with the Ruger 10/22 Suppressed sniper rifle during the Israeli-Palestinian clashes in the Occupied Territories, October 2000. Note that the sniper has a Sig Sauer handgun tacked in his vest.
I guess badlat must have forgotten to include his source.

http://ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

...the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a 0.22 caliber accurate rifle that will be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

The Ruger 10/22, fitted with a X4 day optic, a full length suppressor and a Harris bipod was selected for this role and was due to be issued to all infantry oriented units, including both special and conventional forces. However, as often happens in the shoestring budget IDF, financial problems prevented the weapon’s mass distribution, and it was mainly issued to Special Forces (SF) units. Moreover, instead of using the rifle as a riot control weapon, as originally intended, the Israeli SF deployed the Ruger 10/22 more as a “Hush Puppy” weapon used to silently and effectively eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations.

In the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes began in 2000, the Ruger resumes it’s original role as a less lethal riot control weapon. However, it’s usage in this role was rather controversial this time. After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger fire, the IDF conducted a field experiment in the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal then thought especially in upper body injuries. Also, since it’s suppressed and was considered less lethal by the troops, the soldiers were much more likely to use the Ruger loosely then intended.

As a result of this test, the JAG reclassified the Ruger as a lethal weapon. As a lethal weapon, the usage of the Ruger in riot control is much more limited today. In the IDF Center Command it was completely prohibited to use and the IDF South Command it’s deployment was cut down dramatically.
So it turns out that guns like my wife's are actually too dangerous for the IDF! Yikes! It's really weird that it's so darn popular in Canada. Bloodthirsty, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
It is pretty effective, isn't it? I called "assault weapons" "mean-looking weapons" and other things here for years and got hardly any reaction.

Now I just call them "our .22's" and it triggers the hell out of people who ignored my earlier names for the D Party Holy Quest.

I think it's because most people agree with TeamD Ranger and me that reasonable people don't consider them assault weapons that must be banned.

My friend who was unwittingly advocating that his own .22 be banned sure shut right up when shown the law he was supporting.

It's too bad you're so triggered you can't use words any more. We could talk about our agreement that Canada doesn't really need to ban .22's any more than the US does. Oh well, I'll just take your repetition as agreement on that point.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
(assault weapon, .22)
FIxerated so that the easily-triggered can read their preferred term without changing the meaning. And thanks for your continued support of our shared idea that neither of our nations needs to ban them. However...

no .22's are battle guns
Don't you read Sailing Anarchy? Or was that just a typo along the lines of the infamous Know New Taxes?

Battlefield .22's are too darn dangerous for the Israeli Defense Forces and ones like your old one and mine can be easily converted to a weapon of mass destruction with just a screwdriver and a youtube video or two.