Is 5200 the same as SIKA for Structural Repairs?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Sika 292 is the structural adhesive. It is similar to 5200

Sika 291 is the caulking you'll mostly find in marine stores. It is like 3M 4200. More of a caulking than an adhesive.

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
I'm always amused when someone says "Sika," unaware they make many, many products, for many, many purposes. Sika 295 is used for marine glazing.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
One of the Sikaflex products is the approved (in this county) patch for concrete cracks in roads so if it's a ferro boat you're good to go.

hdra

Anarchist
I like Dow 795 for glazing, personally.  Hard to find the full Sika product line in the states.

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
These are $375 Asolo hiking boots.  I was 3 miles off trail scrambling a peak in the Cascades, (American Alps), when the entire tread pealed off the midsole of the boot.  The boot and midsole were sturdy enough to make my way down, in fact the smooth midsole was an ok friction shoe for scrambling down the rock (but slippery as heck on the wet muddy trail to the car).  An hour later the second tread peeled off!   WTF!.......  How's that for planned obsolescence?  I made it down. 

Even though they had just 10 or 20% wear on them neither the REI flagship store (#1) in Seattle nor Asolo would do anything for me (not even a partial credit), as they were more than a year old.  They sat in my garage for the last year.   Last Monday I came across an old ~6 oz old tube of 5200 that I've had for 10 or 15 years and thought; why not try this demon sperm that everyone talks about.  Here they are mummy wrapped in split (single layer) roadbike inner tube strips.  I'd have preferred black, but the goo I had was white.   Pfffft.  After 6 days curing I unveiled them this morning and will be taking a ~4 mile walk on moderate trail this afternoon to see it the devil sperm works.  Planning on a 5 day outing on Monday with them (with trail shoes just in case......)  Maybe I'll report back on the results. 

1654844335_03Quarterunrapped.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: