Is China screwed?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
But,but...how could this be? What happened to their superior discipline?
Overwhelmed by their shitty vaccines.  For all our shortcomings the West makes really good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Lying flat is the new standing up for China.

E271283C-F934-4E07-81B6-7F30C07BEAE3.jpeg

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
I prefer to rely on people with actual experience in the field rather than attempting to become a Ph.D. immunologist in my spare time via youtube videos.  

Having no background in this I'm still confused by what you're saying.  Epidemiologically, mRNA vax/booster has been shown to be incredibly effective at reducing transmission, hospitalization, death.  The originally quoted article states that the Chinese vaccines are far less effective.  Hence their Covid Zero policy could be a ticking time bomb - either they have to continue heavy handed lockdowns forever, or the virus burns through the population, or they somehow get hold of a much more effective vaccine and distribute it to 1B+ people before this happens.  
Old people who don't contribute die.  Just don't say it.

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
it was just a guess at how long China will be in the wilderness post their property crash if Japan is any indication?
Excuse me.  I am fat and happy.  (Although my weight and pant size resembles a body of mine 30 yrs ago).

I studied China just a bit.  I am no expert.  My son has been there.  My significant other has been there so many times.  She doesn't want to go back.

Mid

Blues Rule
China imposes new lockdowns

Country reports 31,444 new locally transmitted cases, the highest daily figure since pandemic began

China has imposed a fresh series of Covid lockdowns, including in a city where workers at the world’s largest iPhone factory clashed with police this week, as a record daily high in coronavirus cases tests its commitment to follow the rest of the world in easing pandemic restrictions.

The national health commission reported 31,444 new locally transmitted Covid cases on Wednesday, the highest daily figure since the coronavirus was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late in 2019.

The government responded by tightening Covid restrictions in cities, including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, and ordering mass testing.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
The latest I hear from China is that mass lockdowns have pretty much stopped. Before when cases were found they would close a district, which could be hundreds of thousands of people, or even a whole city. Now they are closing down a building (almost everyone in urban China lives in an apartment) or even a floor of a building. Previously someone who was positive was being sent to a quasi-hospital, isolation unit. Now, if no symptoms or mild symptoms, people can recover at home. The government is saying they are 'following the science'. Apparently two reasons for lessening restrictions - 1) the protests and 2) local governments complaining about the cost of all the restrictions - national government was not paying for them. Sounds a bit like they are declaring victory and moving on.

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
A Fauci wet dream
What does this have to do with Fauci? Wasn't he Trump's boy running the show when we did fuckall to stop covid? I remember going to a wedding with 300 people in June of '20 and not a mask in sight. You might want to leave your fortress of incelitude once in awhile.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
The latest I hear from China is that mass lockdowns have pretty much stopped. Before when cases were found they would close a district, which could be hundreds of thousands of people, or even a whole city. Now they are closing down a building (almost everyone in urban China lives in an apartment) or even a floor of a building. Previously someone who was positive was being sent to a quasi-hospital, isolation unit. Now, if no symptoms or mild symptoms, people can recover at home. The government is saying they are 'following the science'. Apparently two reasons for lessening restrictions - 1) the protests and 2) local governments complaining about the cost of all the restrictions - national government was not paying for them. Sounds a bit like they are declaring victory and moving on.
Pretty much right Bristol. Things can AND do change pretty quickly here. The gov tend to react quickly at times but the policy change so soon after the protests was remarkable and I suspect were in the works anyway.

2 or 3 weeks ago I travelled to another city to do a pre-delivery inspection on a significant boat. On return to Shanghai I got a line of red Chinese script below my QR Code, had to do 3 x daily tests, miss a day then another one. A week later I was back at the same yard to do the in the water trial on the boat. Returned to Shanghai, no red script, no 3 x daily test requirement - a major shift. Everyone still wearing masks in enclosed public places, malls, metro, hospitals etc. Much more difficult to spread a disease if you are masked up and that's not politics, just common sense.

The lockdowns earlier in the year were a nightmare, here in Shanghai we were pretty much confined to our compound for over 2 months. We live in a detached house and it was bad enough and we really felt sorry for those who lived in apartments downtown

Latest posts