Is it a race if there's only one boat......

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
Little help-doing some cumulative scores for Long Island Sound season and there was a Stratford Shoal race run by a pretty high-powered club that had a division with only one boat in it-not a division with multiple boats and there were DNC's or DNF's-this was a division with one boat signed up, started and finished and got a bullet for the race-where is there language that says a race is a race when there is competition?

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Little help-doing some cumulative scores for Long Island Sound season and there was a Stratford Shoal race run by a pretty high-powered club that had a division with only one boat in it-not a division with multiple boats and there were DNC's or DNF's-this was a division with one boat signed up, started and finished and got a bullet for the race-where is there language that says a race is a race when there is competition?
As loungue as the boate wase started and finshed, ist a raise.

:)

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
not sure if it's relevant but, our club used to have a season long cumulative series for spin and non-spin . there were participation points awarded for showing up and racing as well as your score for the race. may be a reason to score it.. or not.. your mileage may vary

us7070

Super Anarchist
The guy registered, showed up, and finished - he gets his bullet.

If the committee cared, they should have combined his division with another.

They didn't.

It's not his fault.

MrSwordfish

Anarchist
Michigan, USA
See Rule 35:

If one boat sails the course as required by rule 28.1 and finishes

within the time limit, if any, all boats that finish shall be scored

according to their finishing places unless the race is abandoned. If no

boat finishes within the time limit, the race committee shall abandon

the race.

Seems pretty clear that one boat finishing a race (within the time limit) makes it a race. I can find nothing in the rules anywhere specifying a minimum number of boats for starting a race. So, if you start a race with only one boat and it finishes, it's a race.

left hook

Super Anarchist
How about looking beyond the division breaks and at other boats in the same race which fall into the rating spread applying to the season trophy? Looking at that results sheet from that race I see at least one boat in another division which would fit the description.

Last edited by a moderator:

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
See Rule 35:

If one boat sails the course as required by rule 28.1 and finishes

within the time limit, if any, all boats that finish shall be scored

according to their finishing places unless the race is abandoned. If no

boat finishes within the time limit, the race committee shall abandon

the race.

Seems pretty clear that one boat finishing a race (within the time limit) makes it a race. I can find nothing in the rules anywhere specifying a minimum number of boats for starting a race. So, if you start a race with only one boat and it finishes, it's a race.
That's my interpretation of that as well-regardless of whether it is fair or not to other guys who competed in a division that actually involved competitors, I think that is the unfortunate reality. Thanks for vetting.

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
How about looking beyond the division breaks and at other boats in the same race which fall into the rating spread applying to the season trophy? Looking at that results sheet from that race I see at least one boat in another division which would fit the description.
not sure what that means....you can't go making up divisions after the fact....

jesposito

Super Anarchist
Cox sprauge should take care of that with the denomenator

Look at it this way: it would be unfortunate to penalize one boat because some other boat did not show up.

Might even be more appropriate to give a boat that was the only one to race a scoring bonus or some other form of recognition to encourage them to continue to race - I mean how do you think they feel about it?

btbotfa

Super Anarchist
In this case, there were no other boats in division-race committee should have folded this boat in with another division.

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
As long as the SI's don't say otherwise, 1 boat is a race (I've seen SI's that require 2 or 5 or otherwise number boats starting in order for awards to be given).

Cox Sprauge does not score a one-boat class. So you are going to average in the results of a one-boat class into the Long Island Sound Yearly Trophies? hahahahahahaha those trophies become more of a joke every year. Why not put all the boat names into a fishbowl and draw out the winners, the suspense would be more exciting.

Reht

Super Anarchist
Cox Sprauge does not score a one-boat class.So you are going to average in the results of a one-boat class into the Long Island Sound Yearly Trophies? hahahahahahaha those trophies become more of a joke every year. Why not put all the boat names into a fishbowl and draw out the winners, the suspense would be more exciting.
I have no horse in this race and no connection at all to the area so this comment is purely an outsider's view.

That's an asinine comment. Someone obviously put in the time to race alone, for that alone he could (should) be recognized. But on top of that someone else is putting in the time and effort (and obviously is trying hard) to make the results all come out even and to have the awards to to someone who deserves them. Just because you can guess who's going to win the trophy doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment for the winner.

To me you come off as a sad kid who's upset he didn't win this time around, grow up.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
On questions like this, there is no right and wrong, there is only what the rules say -- so the rules have to be right before the race.