"Is it your dream to be here?" "No, I'm just here to b

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/05/oukoe-uk-sailing-portugal-borges-idUKBRE9140KP20130205

(Reuters) - Portugal's Olympic committee has banned a female windsurfer for life for concealing she was pregnant but attending the London Games anyway to see her husband.

Carolina Borges travelled to Britain as part of the Portugal team but then sent an email during the Games in July saying she was quitting before her RS-X event had even started.

"The Portuguese Institute of Sports and Youth accepted our recommendation and has forbidden the athlete from ever representing Portugal again," Olympic committee head Vicente Moura told Lusa news agency on Tuesday.

Brazil-born Borges represented Brazil at the Athens Olympics in 2004 but later joined Portugal's squad.

"It all points to the fact that she took advantage of the trip to the Olympics to be with her husband," Moura added.

Borges is married to U.S. sailor Mark Mendelblatt, who competed in London in the Star class in the sailing regatta off the south coast of England.

Moura said that the decision was made after an investigation proved that the athlete was pregnant at the time of the Games and failed to inform the national Olympic committee as required.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Wow, the # 2 competitior must be PISSED ! Talk about your 'Olympic Tourist' - to make the trip on the team's dime and then bail from competition without notice ? I'd ban her too - not that she probably cares, with an American husband now she can say "Adios" to Portugal. If she won the US trials for an upcoming event, should they require her to disclose her health status ?

Bill R

NZ
she know the rules, she broke them. Hard luck. A good sporting person knowing that they were not going to compete would have withdrawn earlier and let someone else have a go at competeing.

I have no sympathy she was selfish. It may send a message to others about being honest.

Reht

Super Anarchist
Geez. I feel sorry for the runner up for the RS:X spot. The IOC and/or ISAF should take this case seriously and consider if she should be banned from more than just representing Portugal. It seems to me that her actions are definitely not something you would ever want to condone, in fact one that a body that promotes good sportsmanship would want to make an example of.

I hope she either gets hit hard with a ban from an international body or has another side to this story, and it better be a good one.

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY
Geez. I feel sorry for the runner up for the RS:X spot. The IOC and/or ISAF should take this case seriously and consider if she should be banned from more than just representing Portugal. It seems to me that her actions are definitely not something you would ever want to condone, in fact one that a body that promotes good sportsmanship would want to make an example of.

I hope she either gets hit hard with a ban from an international body or has another side to this story, and it better be a good one.
There's no precedent and no procedure for banning someone who does something dickish while off the race course, and that's a good thing.

Rich Frye

Anarchist
...and , the U.S. is getting there. Not quite there yet, but close.

Hoofuckingrahhh constituents!!

Rich Frye

Anarchist

There's no precedent and no procedure for banning someone who does something dickish while off the race course, and that's a good thing.
So, breaking a required Olympic agreement is ONLY dickish? Doubt it.

Some would say smokin' a jay while off the race course is dickish (not I) .Others would say it's breaking the ban on such substances.

Plenty, plenty of things a person can do off a race course to get themselves rightfully banned.

Don't they have to sign a contract, code of conduct or something to get funding or even be part of the team. I'm fairly sure you have to do that in Australia and that would surely mean that she would be in breach.

If I was the US team I wouldn't touch her even if she begged; she used to represent Brazil changed to Portugal, mispresented herself at the Olympics and took away Portugals' ability to field an entry and then wants to represent the US. All I see is a lack of loyalty and respect.

As others have said, you have got to feel for the number 2. It's a pity there isn't a backup/understudy policy, particularly as Portugal to UK short distance and time difference is almost nothing.

Rich Frye

Anarchist
Don't they have to sign a contract, code of conduct or something to get funding or even be part of the team. I'm fairly sure you have to do that in Australia and that would surely mean that she would be in breach...
Yes (and more than that) , and yes.

mathewgj

Anarchist
carolina_borges_01.jpg
carolina_borges_02.jpg

spectator

Anarchist
East Coast
She's a nightmare with a history. Just ask some of the top finn sailors who competed during the Beijing campaign days. Lets just say she doesn't have the best morals and sounds like things haven't changed much.

Latest posts