Is pulling a diesel as simple as it seems?

jdege

I have a 27hp Yanmar I need to pull.

I figured it would be work, but conceptually simple. I mean, I have mast, halyard, winches, etc.

What could go wrong?

Except:

What do I need to be worrying about?

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
Like Marty says, it's not too difficult. I'd say the install is where the challenges are. Take pictures, make reference marks on things like engine mounts. Have a plan and stick to it or the next thing you know it will be June and you're still painting/plumbing/wiring/insulating/stuffing boxing while the engine sits.

Upvote 0

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Mind the woodwork. Proceed methodically. The safe rigging of the boom for lifting an engine requires either many hands or a surprising number of lines. A 27 hp is not very heavy but can do much damage if dropped.

Engines are easily removed in an hour of work …. after unexpectedly spending two days sweating some stubborn item.

If clever and lucky, one can preserve the alignment during the process.

Upvote 1

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
It's pretty darn easy, but a modest amount of mechanical aptitude and relevant experience is warranted. Proper tools too, so as not to slow things down.
Removing is easy , installing the new engine is a bit more difficult since it’s best not to strip the engine of components

some engine rooms are obnoxious …almost like the engine was fitted , then the engine room was built around the engine.

typically on a new install all the tedious time consuming , expensive , work is new plumbing, exhaust , electrics …

Virtually all production boats have inferior ventilation …worthwhile improvement when repowering

Upvote 0

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Couple of monkeys with a video camera

to pull an engine rent two or three chain lifts

perhaps one long and two shorties

you need a few so that you can walk the engine out

at least two eye bolt dead ends on the engine

typically a steel pipe or I beam or piece of timber across the companionway

get the old engine into the saloon on a sheet of plywood

lift old engine into cockpit onto a sheet of plywood

then lift the old engine onto the dock

49A3D9D0-610C-490D-973A-928AAB3C1982.jpeg

Upvote 0

billsreef

Anarchist
Miami
They have a longer video, here:

It looks like he didn't have good control over the line after he removed it from the cleat. Hence the drop.

This video is good lesson in what not to do. You want good control over the engine from the first moment you start to move it. A chain hoist to lift the engine. A short length of chain from the front of the engine to the chain hoist and short come-a-long from the chain hoist to the back of the engine. The chain hoist gives you excellent control for raising and lowering the engine. The come-a-long lets you adjust the angle of the engine to fit through tight places. Do everything slowly and think every step of the way.

Upvote 0

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
It's a bunch of hard work but pretty simple stuff.

Buy some cheap moving blankets at HF to pad things. Make sure your boom is strong enough if it's a big engine like a Perky. The stress on it is localized so lashing some bracing like 2/4's to the boom can't hurt.

I did a Yannie single at the dock but no way was I going to try to get it onboard from the dock - I paid for a tow to the hoist and had it lowered in. If I did another I'd do it on the hard.

Be sure to take advantage of the empty space to clean, paint and tidy your engine compartment - it will never be easier and in fact will likely never happen if you don't do it now.

Upvote 1

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Mind the woodwork. Proceed methodically. The safe rigging of the boom for lifting an engine requires either many hands or a surprising number of lines. A 27 hp is not very heavy but can do much damage if dropped.

Engines are easily removed in an hour of work …. after unexpectedly spending two days sweating some stubborn item.

If clever and lucky, one can preserve keep the alignment close during the process.
FTFY

Upvote 0

Latest posts