Is there any logic to owning a boat?

Delta Dog

Nor Cal
If elected, I commit within the first 100 days by executive order to ban the use words like "logic" or "asset" or "rational" in any discussion of boat buying or boat ownership.  Further, I will ask congress to pass legislation making it a crime to discourage boat ownership and ban other hateful languages like "was it worth it",  "you paid what?" and "those old sails are fine, why do you need new ones?"

- my candidate from President. 

It's a pretty standard right wing POV.

Any time I see someone post about "Fiat currency" I ignore anything they have to say about economics.
When I initially saw this writing I was reminded of the quote "only one man in a million understands money." 

But there is something even more ironic here, in that the quote comes from John Maynard Keynes:

"Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

I should admit up front I am not a Keynesian, but rather prefer Friedman's common sense economic approach. People should know that Keynes believed that stimulus spending could help unemployment at the cost of inflation, but he also believed in balanced budgets. In the Obama era "Keynesian economics" were used to justify more stimulus spending and even Trump and the Republicans continued this and now we have a parabolic curve of government spending and the threat of what Lenin declared. 

So I was being derided as a typical "right winger," by someone apparently espousing Keynesian economics without being aware of what Keynes has said and by implication calling Keynes a "right winger." :)  

Let's get back to naked women on boats. 

"Were it not for women, money would have no use." -Aristotle Onassis, a man who understood money

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Strange yes. Confused not at all. This thread has gotten all serious and boring. When the New World Order lets the common people travel again I will be spending most of my time in the Philippines.  The girlfriend already has three boats ha. To those tender hearted people that I have apparently offended with my sarcastic, light hearted weird opinions, I offer my most sincere apologies. Not really hahaha.  

Nothing like four new friends taking their tops off after going tubing. 

View attachment 436867
And you jerking off on those pics for the rest of your life while you rot in the middle of nowhere in 120 degree temps :)

When you can’t win an argument with your brain, just resort to name calling. Classy and intellectual! It’s pretty obvious who needs to get laid more around here and it isn’t me. 

apophenia

Anarchist
1280px-Fiat_500R_dutch_licence_registration_04-65-XP.JPG

jesposito

Super Anarchist
While going through the process of looking for my dream boat I have found myself trying to explain the purchase to my friends and family and realize almost everything I say to them sounds completely irrational. In particular it probably (she would never be confrontational like a western woman) sounds crazy to my long-distance filipina girlfriend, since you can buy a nice little two hectare farm on the oceanfront there in the province (translates roughly to middle of nowhere on a small island only accessible by bangka) for $10,000, complete with money producing coconut trees. It all started when I got on Yachtworld a few months ago to help a friend find a powerboat... 

My best rationalization thus far has been "I don't feel comfortable with fiat currency right now with all the government spending, and need to put money into tangible assets. Land is overvalued, I couldn't even find an affordable winter home in Florida bigger than a trailer to spend the next cold winter." Injecting "fiat currency" into the discussion has been helpful to confuse most of those that might try to talk me out of it. 

I'm just ventilating, since I know most people here share my mental illness. The best reason for buying a boat is always "f*$&  it, I just want it." But it might settle my nerves if I hear a few craziness stories from other people. 

https://uk.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/is-there-any-logic-to-owning-a-boat/
Absolutely NONE  

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
When I initially saw this writing I was reminded of the quote "only one man in a million understands money." 

But there is something even more ironic here, in that the quote comes from John Maynard Keynes:

"Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

I should admit up front I am not a Keynesian, but rather prefer Friedman's common sense economic approach. People should know that Keynes believed that stimulus spending could help unemployment at the cost of inflation, but he also believed in balanced budgets. In the Obama era "Keynesian economics" were used to justify more stimulus spending and even Trump and the Republicans continued this and now we have a parabolic curve of government spending and the threat of what Lenin declared. 

So I was being derided as a typical "right winger," by someone apparently espousing Keynesian economics without being aware of what Keynes has said and by implication calling Keynes a "right winger." :)  

Let's get back to naked women on boats. 

"Were it not for women, money would have no use." -Aristotle Onassis, a man who understood money
:lol:

The US economic policies under Obama were very much NOT anything J.M.Keynes would have espoused

Also, with a current top tax rate of 35% and that not even charged to the wealthiest household in the nation, and several private individuals who are funding space programs that the USA cannot afford, "stealing the wealth of it's citizens" is pretty much the opposite of the USA's current fiscal problem.

Wait... do you understand the difference between fiscal and economic policies, right?

- DSK

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
:lol:

The US economic policies under Obama were very much NOT anything J.M.Keynes would have espoused

Also, with a current top tax rate of 35% and that not even charged to the wealthiest household in the nation, and several private individuals who are funding space programs that the USA cannot afford, "stealing the wealth of it's citizens" is pretty much the opposite of the USA's current fiscal problem.

Wait... do you understand the difference between fiscal and economic policies, right?

- DSK
No.  It is far above his pay scale.  But dreaming is nice.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I should admit up front I am not a Keynesian, but rather prefer Friedman's common sense economic approach.
Uncle Milty - the only person who less deserved his Nobel than Obama.

The fact that politicians spend in good times and bad does not make Keynes wrong. Stimulus spending in bad times and paying the debt down in good times has been proven so many times that arguing against it is a fools errand.

Holding the pols feet to the fire to pay the debt in good times is a separate issue.

Latest posts