Is there any logic to owning a boat?

maxstaylock

Anarchist
'Money' and 'Yacht are both illogical constructs.  Owning both or either is a bit of a stretch for our caveman brains.  Mine tells me that I'm happier with a boat, and a slightly smaller pot of money, who am I to disagree?

There is, I guess, some kind of bell curve, on happiness vs size/cost/proportion of wealth said boat consumes, very rarely see an unhappy kayaker for example.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
'Money' and 'Yacht are both illogical constructs.  Owning both or either is a bit of a stretch for our caveman brains.  Mine tells me that I'm happier with a boat, and a slightly smaller pot of money, who am I to disagree?

There is, I guess, some kind of bell curve, on happiness vs size/cost/proportion of wealth said boat consumes, very rarely see an unhappy kayaker for example.
Slightly? You must be good at picking boats!

If elected, I commit within the first 100 days by executive order to ban the use words like "logic" or "asset" or "rational" in any discussion of boat buying or boat ownership.  Further, I will ask congress to pass legislation making it a crime to discourage boat ownership and ban other hateful languages like "was it worth it",  "you paid what?" and "those old sails are fine, why do you need new ones?"

- my candidate from President. 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
well, I just got a hard on and shit myself all at the same time…”
That’s been going on for eons among humans when they’ve experienced a life changing event. 

7BCDC7EA-C39C-4E6E-8121-2E5554E8596C.jpeg

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”

― Jack London (maybe)

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Most sailboats (and not just sailboats) are slip queens, or mooring-tied fixtures.  They get out what, 5 percent of the time?  Or less? (okay I'm not overlooking all the SA typists (I am one, I type a lot more about sailing than actual sailing..

Now maybe our OP is going to live on his would-be boat, "getting his money back" by sailing and cruising lots.  Or racing, but then he's on the "hard stuff" and will like his boat less if it is not super fast.  And you don't really want to cruise the ones that are.

Some of us are "the best sailing vessel is somebody else's" types.  Other people own these slip queens, you make friends (or you're already a friend, chip in on maintenance and expenses, and get to use it from time to time, so the slip is now empty 6 percent of the time as opposed to 3 percent. Be a useful organism to a boat-owning friend and you'll have a nice life, and a less-dented bank account, albeit less autonomy on the boat's schedule.

Eminently practical, and low-risk.

But...

then there's Shaggybaxter, racing at night, who just barely gets away with not dousing a chute when caution would have said to, and threads the needle between two competitors, one each side, who have problems he can't help but has to get clear of...  and makes it..

That's Heroin.  Must resist....

;-)

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
There is absolutely no rational argument that can justify owning a boat.  So to me, the answer is... One either gets it or not.  If you don't get it, there's no reason to have one.

Coming from a person who has owned a series of 7 sailboats over the last 44 years, both cruising boats and race boats.  in addition... 2 inflatable dinghies, a classic wooden pram, a Trinka sailing dinghy, and 3 kayaks.  Oh... and 2 center console runabouts.

It's an incurable "disease".  Currently searching for the next sailboat.

...FC
Please do not call it a disease...

It is an addiction.  One of the worst in the world.. Once one gets a taste one is  hooked for life.

Unlike 12 step programs for alcohol, opiates, etc... there are none that I know of to cure the longing for sailing.

There is no vaccine.. nothing that cures it.  It will suck all your money and make you high. The best high in the world.

For me it gets worse the more I succumb...

Good luck.. and ... if anyone has a cure please PM me.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
5%? let's see

365 days year, 5% would be 18 days 

Did I sail 18 days last year?

Sadly, no

Only one day so far this year...but we just opened up

9 ocean racing days are on the calendar + the 1 practice day per ocean race + the 2 day qualifier + the 5 day delta cruz.

I should hit my 5% this year, not including the days I paddle or sail the dinghy.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Even when my Dad was on his final lap, infirmed and reliant on nursing care like he never wanted to be, he conjured up sailing in his mind. One night, when I asked him how he was feeling, he said "I'm picturing being in a snug anchorage. It's good."

glass

planet Earth
I have a bunch of boats. I don’t perceive any problem. 
The ex-wife on the other hand...

I love sailing!!!

As an aside, a member of our club said “Buy the boat. You can always sell it later but you can’t buy one when you’re dead!”
He is a wise man who said that.

Last edited by a moderator:

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
365 days year, 5% would be 18 days 

Did I sail 18 days last year?
I think I did.  For sure, if I count things like the 9-day jaunt to/through the San Juans (didn't sail every day, but was on the boat).

But... that 5% is a low bar.  I've gotta find a way to get those numbers up this year!

apophenia

Anarchist
Quality of life without sailing: OK

Quality of life with sailing: GREAT!

Logic is a tool that helps make sailing possibly.

Code:
if income_net_of_necessities < average_annual_maintenance + (new_boat_budget/5):
	increase_job_priority()
else
	increase_sailing_priority()

Foxtrot Corpen

Super Anarchist
Please do not call it a disease...

It is an addiction.  One of the worst in the world.. Once one gets a taste one is  hooked for life.

Unlike 12 step programs for alcohol, opiates, etc... there are none that I know of to cure the longing for sailing.

There is no vaccine.. nothing that cures it.  It will suck all your money and make you high. The best high in the world.

For me it gets worse the more I succumb...

Good luck.. and ... if anyone has a cure please PM me.
You're right, h2Oman.  Addiction is a better description.  We are going to settlement tomorrow selling our X-34.  I originally thought I would take some time off and let the hot market shake itself out.  Instead, I spent the entire day in Yachtworld, and working XL spreadsheets to strategize on our next boat purchase.   Addicted!

...FC

Latest posts