Is there anything besides a maxptop?

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
So my new boat has motor. Big change for me. Except the fubking thing won't slow down and reverse. I mean , it will but it is next to worthless. I mean it is better than a paddle but not as good as my old kicker except it is more conveinient. I jgst thought the biat wouls stop. It's a martec. What are my option.

Yanmar 2gm 16 hp. Prop must feather or fold. I 'm not gonna drag a bucket allover Puget Sound.

Thanks.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Ive used those flexfolds...dont like them

Max is a great prop...good reverse bite

The traditional defects of the Max are blown grease ,aggressive open close cycle " CLONK. " and non adjustabel pitch without a haulout.

Ive heard good things about http://www.spw-gmbh.de/en/features-of-the-variprop.html

You might have a look... Variprop

Its possible that MAX has a new design...speak to them. Even with thier defects they are great props.

Pinching

Anarchist
Before you dump the martec, its shafting and the cutlass bearing and $1- 2000 bucks, try spinning up the prop to high RPM in reverse. Do not be shy. Any folder tends to close in reverse and high speed spin is needed to open the prop and do its job. If you are new to folders, welcome to the party. They are great for sailing, and when you spin them up, OK in reverse -- not great, but OK.

Martec will recondition your prop if needed for a nominal fee. A change in prop is usually expensive with some trial and error required. Spend more time in the boat, change the prop, if needed after at least a year of using the boat.

ymmv

P

Last edited by a moderator:

Spin Echo

Anarchist
Agree, this is a must read for you to help decide what you want: http://www.flexofold...Monthly_low.pdf

I had a maxprop, didnt like it. Had to replace internal gears that broke, fng PYU charged me 1200 dollars for it, bad propwalk and its stays open even though feathered, so you can still snag a line or a lobster pot.

Now i have a Flexofold. Love it. Great forward thrust. Reverse needs a little more rpm, but very little propwalk. Its very rugged, the gears are only for symmetric opening, so less likely to break. Very low drag when folded and unlikely to snag a line or a lobster pot when folded.

Training Wheels

Anarchist
On my boat
^^^^ +1 for Flexofold. If you buy one, and get the pitch wrong, they will send you different blades. I changed mine in the water. In fact, installed the whole thing in the water.

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Just went through this exercise. Had a Martec with similar issues and then some. High RPM's in reverse is the key to getting anywhere but we also had lousy prop walk. Found a system of high revs to get the boat moving in reverse, shift to neutral, steer, repeat was the best way to get anywhere. If ours wasn't also undersized, I would have just had the Martec reconditioned.

So, the martec is a very decent prop if sized properly. Low drag when aligned with the strut and pretty good performance. You just need to learn to use it right to get the most out of it. That said, for folders, I found both Flexofold and Gori to be competetive on price with boat show prices and either being geared should be an upgrade from the Martec (no floppy blade if not aligned, blades open together every time). All of the feathering props I looked at were significantly more expensive and complex for the same size, but they have their fans. Of the fethering props, Kiwi seemed to be the most interesting and affordable option.

Your most bang for the buck is keep the Martec, learn it's quirks, and rebuild it if necessary. They can only rebuild them a few times though. After that, a new Martec will be your least expensive replacement. The rest go up in price from there.

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
Thanks all. I have been practicing and that is fine. My dream is that my wife and daughter can dock the boat and race a bit.

Is there a calculator for prop size and pitch?

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
I just ordered a Featherstream from Doug and Rick at featheringpropeller.com. I'm also in Puget Sound (Shilshole) and should have the prop on my boat within a month or so if you want to try it out. It should be in my hands in a couple of weeks if you want to see one in person. I have almost the same engine as you, a 2GM20F.

I went with Featherstream because a 3 blade Featherstream was only a couple hundred more than a 2 blade Max-Prop, and much cheaper than a 3-blade Max-Prop. The reviews from the UK were universally good, and statistics seemed almost identical to the Max-Prop in the test linked above. Installation looks a lot simpler, so I can have it done in under an hour while my boat hangs in slings (instead of needing a full haulout).

The primary downside that I see is that zincs are a bit harder to get. I'm ordering mine with 3 zincs. Doug said they are working on a domestic source for them, and that should lower the price and make them easier to get in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spin Echo

Anarchist
Hey Fast, since we are on props, in your experience what works best for antifouling props, polishing to mirror finish or propspeed or similar antifouling paint. Thanks.

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
The geared folders such as Gori etc. are about half way between the old Martec and the Max for effectiveness. Also for cost. Its a good compromise though.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Hey Fast, since we are on props, in your experience what works best for antifouling props, polishing to mirror finish or propspeed or similar antifouling paint. Thanks.
Polished to a mirror finish then coated with lanolin was the traditional race boat finish. It works well for boats that are sailed often

An epoxy primered antifouled prop is also good. The advantage is less wet bronze surface area hence longer anode life.

There seems to be no magic bullet. Ive tried prop speed..it works. When its time to refinish the prop it will be alot of work.

This prop is 8 months old..epoxy, antifoul. Clean

share image

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
The geared folders such as Gori etc. are about half way between the old Martec and the Max for effectiveness. Also for cost. Its a good compromise though.
Maybe it is just the US importer, but I found Gori props to be somewhere between expensive and very very expensive. The 2-blade Gori is around $1100 (about the same as a Flex-O-Fold, but the 3-blade Gori costs about $1000 more than a 3-blade MaxProp? Why?

Flex-O-Fold were interesting to me, but I found the distributor (they no longer have a US one) hard to get a hold of. It took almost two weeks to get a price quote and pitch/prop recommendation. I found a lot of mixed reviews and didn't want to play the games on shipping whole props if the pitch was incorrect.

I talked to a well regarded Seattle-area diving service and their prices to install props were a lot higher (well over double) compared to just having the boat quick hauled. Diving made sense to me on paper, but this doesn't seem like a good deal.

nwsailboat

Seattle
Not true, divers up here in the PNW can do it!

If you own a MAX PROP you already know that they are unique in their maintenance needs. At Emerald City Diving we've invested in Factory training to become certified to install, remove and maintain MAX PROP automatic feathering propellers.
http://emeraldcitydiving.com/

Come on Fast...

Ive used those flexfolds...dont like them
Max is a great prop...good reverse bite
The traditional defects of the Max are... non adjustabel pitch without a haulout.
There is no Max Prop model that cannot be installed or repitched while the boat is in the water.