ISAF Classification Cat 2 Scrapped

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
I see ISAF have scrapped the Cat 2 Classification from April. This is probably going to affect a lot of semi-pro's who work in the sailing industry but manage to hold on to a Cat 2. It's probably going to affect a good few teams in this years Commodores Cup and events like Cork Week will have problems seeing as pro's are limited to the big boat classes.

Have they loosened up on the Cat 3 regulations so that these competitors can race.

http://www.sailing.org/classification/new-code.php

stevedallas

Anarchist
the D
I still don't see where it does a whole lot for those of us former Cat 2's.

I just finished filling out the new application, and received the same type of questions back from the ISAF that landed me in Cat 2--"You state you are responsible for testing and recommending new hardware, etc. Do you do this whilst racing? Do you give recommendations to boats on which you race?" Of course I do, but does that make me any more professional (or valuable to the boat) that any other crew member that takes the time to do the research. I just get the feeling that Cat 3 is the new Cat 2.

Any suggestions other than simple denials?

tom-09

Anarchist
I just re-applied yesterday for my classification and they still had the class 2 description and all that in there.

Are they going to send out requests to all Class 2's next month to re-apply?

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
The link says....

For Sailors Who Are Currently Group 2

All existing Group 2 sailors will have to reapply. Please make a new application in order to get a new classification. This should be done using the normal application/renewal process.

However the timing of your application is important and is as follows:

If you are required to have a classification for any event or series taking place before 1 April you should not apply until it is finished.

If you are not required to have a classification until after 1 April then you may apply in advance but not before 15 February.

Click here to make a new application

If a Group 2 sailor has not reapplied by 8 April the Classification Commission will send the sailor a reminder and place their classification ‘Under Review’.

The Classification Commission is very aware that not all sailors will have kept their email details up to date with ISAF and may not be aware of the change. It would be very helpful therefore if you would make sure that your friends and fellow competitors are aware of the new Code.

Latest posts