ISAF World Sailing Games

gonzo2_4

No, there have been a few before.

2003 Cadiz, 2002 Marseille and then there was one along the same lines called the ISAF World Sailing Championships in Dubai 1998.

carlwasher

Liverpool
Did Marseille in 02

Cool event, a bit long :ph34r:

Qualify and go, don't expect a lot of help from your local authority :(

Real pic of Orange cruising our start

Orange2e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Camp Freddie

No, there have been a few before.
2003 Cadiz, 2002 Marseille and then there was one along the same lines called the ISAF World Sailing Championships in Dubai 1998.
2003 in Cadiz wasn't a World Sailing Games, it was the Olympic Classes World Championship. A Very different beast indeed.

The ISAF Games looks more like a festival type sailing event than a high caliber Olympic class regatta.

Im sure they have some decent sailing on the lake in the middle of Austria but it doesnt exactly scream world class sailing venue like other places.

Not much help from our sailing authority besides covering entry fee. I passed in lieu of another event but I know there will be 1 US male and 2 US females in the RSX class.

T L

There is very decent sailing on " a lake in the middle of Austria". numerous world and European Olympic Class championships have been sailed there, and the lake is actually quite large.

star-sailor

Europe
in fact lake neusiedl is a famous sailing venue here in central europe (it's one of the biggest lakes in europe also - ca 30 km long). the lake is surrounded by steppe - so no obstructions for the wind blowing in from hungary.

lake neusiedl is famous for its strong and consistent winds. I once sailed in the national laser-championships and we had 5-6 beaufort, gusting 7, for 5 days. at the end of the series i was unable to lift my laser on roof of my fathers car. it was the most exhausting week i have ever experienced on a boat (but i have never sailed the VOR ;) )

the lake is very shallow - only 1,3 to 2meters. no keelboats, but perfect for dinghies/cats. the shallow water is also responsible for a very short, steep chop, which is a challenge in itself.

strong winds, shallow waters and steep chop are responsible for some incredible stunts like reaching i a laser in 6 beaufort, burrying the bow, rollover the whole boat, stick the mast into the mud and destroy the boat :rolleyes: :blink:

and yes: numerous champinships habe been held here. the training-center of the austrian sailing association is located here too. the grey gate in the photo is big enough for a fully rigged tornado :rolleyes: :D 2000/2004 medal-winners like sieber, hagara and geritzer are using this facility.

297634fef9.jpg

Neusiedlersee.jpg

95ba2f709b.jpg

Hmm - very fine redwins from the Seewinkel - great winery´s at Illmitz - I remember a Blauer Zweigel vom 2001, aged in oak for 18 months - great wine, sadly I did not get him here in Berlin too.

Cheers from Berlin

star-sailor

Europe
Hmm - very fine redwins from the Seewinkel - great winery´s at Illmitz - I remember a Blauer Zweigel vom 2001, aged in oak for 18 months - great wine, sadly I did not get him here in Berlin too.
Cheers from Berlin

i forgot to mention this!

TheBoathouse

Super Anarchist
Speedwatch, Star-Sailor what will the weather be like May 10-21? Cold, warm, windy, light shifty, cold water?? Any local tips regarding prevailing wind direction and shifts? My daughter and crew will be racing a 470 and mom and dad will be tourists B) ....

star-sailor

Europe
boathouse: my laser-days are long gone, my last race at lake neusiedl was maybe ten years ago, but i will try my best. (I'm living 100 km from lake neusiedl)

temperature: lake neusiedl has 300 sunny days/year and hardly any rain during summer. temperatures in summer (june-august) are high (up to 35°C) - in may i would guess between 20°C and 30°C when it's sunny. it might be a bit chilly in the morning but that's no probelm. I'm usually wearing t-shirts in may.

water-temperature: due to the shallow water the lake gets warm quickly (maybe 23 to 28°C in summer). i don't know what it's like in may but to be on the safe side i would prepare for a water-temperature from chilly 18 to 22°C (just guessing here!).

lake neusiedl is known as a lake with lots of wind. your daughter should be fit and prepared for sailing in 5 to 7 beaufort. what i described in my first post is not unusal here.

IIRC there are basically two winds:

1. NW-wind comes with the weather (front from the west). strength everything from 2 to 7 beaufort, might be shifting and gusting.

2. S-wind: that's awesome. thermal wind on sunny days. strong, consistent, perfect. as already mentioned it is possible to sail five days in steady 5 beaufort under a sunny sky.

waves: the lake is only 1,5m deep which means short and steep chop on windy days. and i mean VERY choppy. your daughter should practice this.

shifts, tactics: the area around the lake is almost absolutely flat. no obstruction for the wind. i never liked that as i learned to sail in the alps where the wind is usually shifting a lot between the mountains. boatspeed is critical due to the short chop. tactically it is not very challenging (but maybe i never realized it)

but: we are talking about weather here. i also remember sitting on the beach for a weekend without any wind.......

mom and dad: lake neusiedl and the surrounding countryside is a holiday-region. you can waste your time with things like riding, cycling, visiting wineries, sightseeing and so on. as speedwatch mentioned the burgenland (that's the province) is famous for it's wine.

when you need further info or help with booking send me a pm.

Latest posts