iShares Cup in Amsterdam

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
REPOSTED

"The iShares Cup races will then take place every afternoon from Friday, 25th-Sunday, 27th September from 2:00pm (me: that is 14:00 local or 8:00 am East Coast USA), with up to eight short, sharp races a day."

Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Gitana Extreme-Groupe LCF Rothschild (Yann Guichard)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

Oman Sail's Masirah (Pete Cumming)

Oman Sail's Renaissance (Loïck Peyron)

FYI, Alinghi are not doing the iShares circuit this year and BMWOR dropped out of racing mid season. But the likely helm of both teams are going to be here.

I am going to be covering the event for SA and will try to corner these two. Questions anyone?

marian

Super Anarchist
REPOSTED"The iShares Cup races will then take place every afternoon from Friday, 25th-Sunday, 27th September from 2:00pm (me: that is 14:00 local or 8:00 am East Coast USA), with up to eight short, sharp races a day."

Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

FYI, Alinghi are not doing the iShares circuit this year and BMWOR dropped out of racing mid season. But the likely helm of both teams are going to be here.

I am going to be covering the event for SA and will try to corner these two. Questions anyone?
I don't think, for one second, that Loick will be helming Alinghi 5 and Cammas is going to have a hard job to fly off from an RTW to helm USA.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
REPOSTED"The iShares Cup races will then take place every afternoon from Friday, 25th-Sunday, 27th September from 2:00pm (me: that is 14:00 local or 8:00 am East Coast USA), with up to eight short, sharp races a day."

Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

I don't think, for one second, that Loick will be helming Alinghi 5 and Cammas is going to have a hard job to fly off from an RTW to helm USA.
Then I stand corrected if not mollified. Do you have any questions that you would like answered? Or do you know it all already?

Starboard

Anarchist

Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

Then I stand corrected if not mollified. Do you have any questions that you would like answered? Or do you know it all already?
Well if you are the one giving out answers, then who'd want to ask a question? Clearly your info is all fucked up. I don't mean to stick up for Marian or anything - but...

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam

Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

Well if you are the one giving out answers, then who'd want to ask a question? Clearly your info is all fucked up. I don't mean to stick up for Marian or anything - but...
NQ, did you look at the thread over there? I am not giving out answers, I am asking your questions. Or not, it's up to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
I think most of us are interested in peoples' takes on A5 and BOR90. Maybe ask anyone you can get hold of to make a comparison? They are all top multihull talent, I'm sure it would be very interesting to hear or read their views.

Thanks for anything!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I want to know about the numbers for the iShares Cup. Turnout year to year and event to event, sponsor stuff, all that. They have such a good team at OC throwing the whole thing, and I'm extremely curious as to how the public is accepting and enjoying it, and whether the interest is translating into more interest and dollars/Euros.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
I think most of us are interested in peoples' takes on A5 and BOR90. Maybe ask anyone you can get hold of to make a comparison? They are all top multihull talent, I'm sure it would be very interesting to hear or read their views.

Thanks for anything!
I had hoped to funnel some traffic here, but the questions are being asked in AC anarchy.

Stinger I have half of your answer. I sat down for 5 minutes with Loick Peyron, today's big winner.

interview.jpg

Here is our interview paraphrased:

DS: Your work with Alinghi will continue how long?

LP: I began in July, a bit later than originally planned (ed: something to do with Gitana), and it will go on until the end.

DS: Then, do you have a position on the boat for the racing?

LP: I am listed as a helmsman. There is myself, of course Ernesto, and Ed all possible (ed: a little unclear if there was a fourth person indicated).

DS: Ed Baird who won this event last time.

LP: Yes, he won the whole iShares Cup.

DS: I remember as this was the last event of the season.

LP: There is a lot (ed: or bit) of pressure. This last time I was in Genoa, he was giving me a hard time. (smiles) In fact the red boat used to be Alinghi, and we know it is fast.

Paraphrasing some here: we got to talking about the 40's. Sort of the "are they one design?" kind of thing. He pointed out they had done some foil work, but for the most part these are very similar boats.

DS: The question people in the SA community would like to know is what do you think of the relative performance of the tri of BMWOR and the cat of Alinghi.

LP: Mmmm (thinking). It is hard. Right now, I think they (ed: meaning BMWOR) know more about us (Alinghi) than we do about them. Of course this is a general question we have been working on for a long time in France (ed: meaning Orma multis). There we settled on the trimaran, for a number of reasons. (ed: at this point there was an announcement of a skippers meeting.)

Paraphrasing here: because of the confusion around the meeting about to take place, although LP spoke about the 90 foot beam, I was not taking it all in. Suffice it to say he felt that BMWOR may have bit off a pretty tough piece of meat to swallow when they chose that beam. He pointed out that a boat that will measure 90 on the beam must have both amas in the water, and this may make the boat difficult to handle in tacks and gybes. I suggested that BMWOR relied on the concept in the DoG, that the eventual yacht can be narrower or shorter than stated, while Alinghi in the legal department thinks these are fixed figures. LP nodded, but did not seem keen to discuss any thing legal - me neither!

LP: For sure we need to be lighter than them, and we think we are. It makes sense to be lighter.

DS: You mean the cat vs. tri? Sure.

LP: yes

DS: Tell me this, can you support this statement? That the tri has sailed faster to date than the cat, not for a certain condition, just outright? (ed: Here talking about BMWOR90 vs. Alinghi 5, not a generality)

LP: Well it does come down the condition (ed: or something to that effect. LP must leave for meeting) I will be right back

DS: That was a short meeting. Last one, will you return to the IMOCA?

LP: No.

DS: So that avenue is closed?

LP: I would not say that, but I have no plans. You know, when you hit a wall, and that is what if feels like, you work for those years only to dismast, it is like hitting a wall. Well, I just wish it was not with so much ... speed ... elan. It takes some time to get back to that kind of program where the Vendee Globe is the focus for a long time.

DS: I suspect that Mike (Golding) will want to go again. Unfinished business.

LP: Yes perhaps, I could see myself going back.

DS: Thanks for your time.

LP: My pleasure

My own personal note. Loick is really sharp, fast thinking, and alert when I see him moving from interview to interview, old friend to total stranger. He is very easy to speak to, with welcoming body language. He sings when he walks, and he walks quickly.

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
My own personal note. Loick is really sharp, fast thinking, and alert when I see him moving from interview to interview, old friend to total stranger. He is very easy to speak to, with welcoming body language. He sings when he walks, and he walks quickly.
Loick is a true gentleman and has the air of a poet! I have sat and had many conversations with him and he is passionate about history and maritime legacies. He has actually written a couple of books.

Sailing with him is also a pleasure- especially in the true style of a Frenchman he lights up a cigarette in a special holder and puffs away as he strategises!

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Loick is a true gentleman and has the air of a poet! I have sat and had many conversations with him and he is passionate about history and maritime legacies. He has actually written a couple of books.

Sailing with him is also a pleasure- especially in the true style of a Frenchman he lights up a cigarette in a special holder and puffs away as he strategises!
In fact he had the cigarette lit in that holder the whole time. I will sail with him tomorrow unless the Masirah getting knock out puts a pinch on the on-board positions for the team.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
I spoke with Franck Cammas of Groupama just about 1 minute ago. I asked directly the question from Stingray, to rate the relative performance of the challenger and defender. In general, he was not sure about the defender only that he was thinking they would be lighter. Very standard reply, the BMWOR has a really great feeling, a good yacht. The decision on performance will come down the masts.

This time I recorded the conversation, so I will try to transcribe what he said shortly.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
I spoke with Franck Cammas of Groupama just about 1 minute ago. I asked directly the question from Stingray, to rate the relative performance of the challenger and defender. In general, he was not sure about the defender only that he was thinking they would be lighter. Very standard reply, the BMWOR has a really great feeling, a good yacht. The decision on performance will come down the masts.
This time I recorded the conversation, so I will try to transcribe what he said shortly.
Interesting, that. Presumably he meant the rigs in general? Looking forward to your transcript - Thanks again!

I see they have the Day 1 video up now, at

http://www.isharescup.com/

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Interesting, that. Presumably he meant the rigs in general? Looking forward to your transcript - Thanks again!

I see they have the Day 1 video up now, at

http://www.isharescup.com/

DS The question they want to have answered, what is your impression of the performance potential of the big America's Cup multihulls, both challenger and defender.

FC I don't know. (laughs)

DS You have sailed the challenger.

FC (laughs) Yes, but I really don't know for the defender. We will have to have a look, I think very close, and a lot will depend on the wind speed. Maybe in the very light wind, because the catamaran is lighter, but I am not sure ... (garbled) depends what mast they will have

DS The rig seems a lot smaller on the Alinghi 5

FC For now, but I think in the future they have a new mast

DS I think the second mast has been flown to the bat, but I do not know if it has been stepped. It is going to be an interesting few months. Are you still engaged by BMWOR?

FC Not really, because now I am very involved with Groupama III and the round the world, I cannot do both.

DS OK

FC But they are going to be very impressive.

DS The feeling onboard the trimaran?

FC Ah I like it! Nice. I think the other boat is also nice as well.

DS ... Can a lot of weight be taken out of the boat?

FC (Does not audibly respond) It is wider the boat, and it will be heavier for that. It is not the same philosophy as Alinghi (last part garbled)

DS Thanks for your time.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
One last bit of info regarding the AC popped back into my head...

I asked Mark Turner about the involvement of Alinghi (last year and planned but later suspended for 09) and BMWOR (started but stopped again). He said that they always considered the involvement of these two teams a bonus for the iShares, but not at all in the direction of their core concept. It was just icing on the cake for them. They were very competitive, and they were welcome, but OC was not hurt by their going.

I went on and asked what it means about the iShares that these teams stopped taking part - was it saying the level was not high enough or that they had outgrown the level of competition? He cited that Alinghi only won last year's Cup on the last race in Amsterdam. They had to fight for it all along. No, he was confident it just meant that the time and resources needed to be spent on the big boats, or their direct predecessors (Le Black, D35's for example), and that it was not so useful for these skippers and crews to cut their teeth in an event like iShares.

I for one and not 100% convinced of the second answer. Racing is important for these teams, period. Otherwise, Spithill would not have gone A-classing, and Alinghi gone racing in the Swiss lakes for example.