iShares racing in Amsterdam

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Hey all,

The Ed and Clean have set me up with press creds, so I am going to do what I can to bring the iShares racing home to you. This is going to take place in this thread, with (many) pics and text and links to video (I hope).

Racing begins next Friday, and I plan to be at the event all three days. Forecasts are not out yet for the race days, but this is Amsterdam in the fall. Wind - check. Rain - mmm check! Sun - not unheard of. http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/amsterdam-schiphol

I will be posting some of the backgrounder information to get y'all started, if I can find it. I expect to be able to corner some of the players for chats. So think up some questions and I will see what I can do.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Find a coffeehouse with a view and that sells ...
From this list, a coffeehouse in the 'dam sells, mmmm, java. If you want to get stoned, you are looking for a coffeeshop. Sorry to disappoint, but I live here and don't partake. There are no coffeeshops with a view on the basin where the racing will take place.

Which is here: map

map.JPG

too bad streetview seems to be unavailable for the race area. There is this:

panorama.jpg

Last year the start area was to the right of this image, just off of the large brick building jutting out. The course runs right down to the bridge on the far left of the image.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
I do however know where the nearest brewery is:

brew.jpg

Do I want to be using some other service for hosting the images? Obviously for video there is youtube. Does that mean picasa for images is the way to go?

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
The preview page is up on the official site.

On it you will find these shots of the action taken by Vincent Curutchet.

36223.jpg

36160.jpg

Maybe he is associated with Sea&Co, not sure. This year the official photog will be Thierry Martinez. So if I repost or link any of the official stuff in this thread, and forget to give credit, you've got to figure he is the source.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
"The iShares Cup races will then take place every afternoon from Friday, 25th-Sunday, 27th September from 2:00pm (me: that is 14:00 local or 8:00 am East Coast USA), with up to eight short, sharp races a day."

Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Gitana Extreme-Groupe LCF Rothschild (Yann Guichard)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

Oman Sail's Masirah (Pete Cumming)

Oman Sail's Renaissance (Loïck Peyron)

FYI, Alinghi are not doing the iShares circuit this year and BMWOR dropped out of racing mid season. But, [edit]helmsmen[/edit] of both teams are going to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johannos

Hönö
Hope to be there at least one day, and I hope there is some more wind as there was the last time ;)

but first the F18 nationals this weekend ;)

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
"The iShares Cup races will then take place every afternoon from Friday, 25th-Sunday, 27th September from 2:00pm (me: that is 14:00 local or 8:00 am East Coast USA), with up to eight short, sharp races a day."
Teams (Skipper) -

BT (Nick Moloney)

Ecover (Mike Golding)

Gitana Extreme-Groupe LCF Rothschild (Yann Guichard)

Groupama (Franck Cammas)

Holmatro (Mitch Booth)

iShares (Sven Coster)

LUNA (Erik Maris)

Oman Sail's Masirah (Pete Cumming)

Oman Sail's Renaissance (Loïck Peyron)

FYI, Alinghi are not doing the iShares circuit this year and BMWOR dropped out of racing mid season. But, [edit]helmsmen[/edit] of both teams are going to be here.
Correction to the above. In fact. Shirley Robertson will be skippering iShares. I misunderstood the press release about Sven Coster, and it is still not clear which boat he will be on board, or if he will rotate.

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Race 3 is won by gitana

Holmotro 2

Pete Cumming 3

Bottom mark in first round is here: DELETED (again not great video, but improvements being made in real time...)

Last edited by a moderator:

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
Race 4 is notable for 2 collisions. One with Ecover damaging their port bow. But not bad. The second has taken Pete Cummings team out of racing for the afternoon. They apparently (far up course) had stbd but they came away with a nice hole at the waterline.