It Begins

Antony

Super Anarchist
How does your proposed boat compare to a Sydney 41? I only ask because its more of a crusier than your ilc40, rates about the same, you've sailed on one, and it has to be cheaper (perhasp not) than building an almost new boat that will potentially be worth less than your ilc40 is now. Building something up from scratch is fun though.

Interesting question. We looked at the Sydney 41. However, I recall that they are not quick in long runs offshore, downwind. They are relatively heavy at 14k+. Yes, they are a great boat, but they are a great 1992 boat. Frankly, I didn't want another 10 year old boat that was not really good for Transpac. I felt the Ross 40 and Santa Cruz 40 were more of a direction in which I wanted to head...reasonably light and comfortable.

SailDry

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I'm with redboat on this. I can only guess that they will recycle the old rig from Sprint 4 to save money on both the new rig and new sails.
Still, no R/C boat that REALLY wants to emphasize the "C" would do well with runners and checks. Seems like a huge compromise. You should be able to get a used rig that doesn't need runners out of the Katrina writeoffs.

I like the idea of the rest of the boat, though.
That rig was in Sprint 3 and when they built the ILC40 the boat was designed around the rig. Apparently the rig is superb and the boats under it have been marginal.

Rusty Smith

Thank you for including us in this process. Permanent back stay looks extended from the transom. Maybe runners are for tweaking only and can be moved to the shrouds for crusing. Smaller main for cruising?

-TG

San Diego
Great project... Question... are you getting a new rig or using the one from your current 40? Wasn't sure how far you were going w/ the gutting of your 40, or if it would even translate well to Antirm's plans. Regardless, I think runners & checks are great if you have guys that know what to do with them, which I'm sure you do. I'll be very interested to see this boat up close, and to see the interior design shots when you post them. I hope it goes well. Just please affirm that the hull won't be purple!

railrider

Congrats,

I like it....as far as hard chines go...Force 5's were fun, so are Lightnings (real stable on a plan), the Cheetah 30 goes like hell and is PHRF. (as do all of Bob Ames designs). But my favorite boat of all time is the Tasar for simplisity/speed through water and is also hard chined. So you see, its good to be hard. All you fat/leadboaters can't think outside the box.

Good luck to you sir, and to hell with the naysayers!

CARBONINIT

Super Anarchist
Here is a link to a boat beeing build with the same principle in Holland.
http://www.waarschip.com/documenten/coreco...recomposiet.htm

Blimey thats the old Waarschip from 20 years ago .That is one sweet little boat . Nice up wind not to hot down wind hence minimum rocker required and flat front section . David Thomas has done a lot of chine boats they worked . I was lucky to sail Needlework great little boat .Chines do work.Nice to see you updating with new design and materials.

Antony

Super Anarchist
Great project... Question... are you getting a new rig or using the one from your current 40? Wasn't sure how far you were going w/ the gutting of your 40, or if it would even translate well to Antirm's plans. Regardless, I think runners & checks are great if you have guys that know what to do with them, which I'm sure you do. I'll be very interested to see this boat up close, and to see the interior design shots when you post them. I hope it goes well. Just please affirm that the hull won't be purple!

We are using the current rig, although we have a separate plan for a new rig, should we desire.

The interior will include a forward stateroom, full head with hot shower, galley, and quarterberths aft.

We're not sure on the color. Although I'd love to have a British Racing Green metallic hull (a la Esmo).

-TG

San Diego
Nice... that gives you plenty of options down the road... albeit at first it may seem like a new girlfriend wearing your old gal's clothes (hey, that's not such a bad thing)...

Looking at Moneypenny (Swan 60?) down in KW was very cool... sort of a metallic midnight green... looked black until you got up close to it or the light hit it a certain way. Very impressive.

dave-j

Without asking "what will it cost", have you figured out an estimated percentage savings, on the hull construction alone, by going to the flat panels? With only a 1% increase in wetted surface, any significant savings, along with the simplified building technique, could be interesting.

I the Marblehead area we have an older hard chined boat named "Five-Ply" built out of..well I guess it's obvious, but i've always admired its simplicity. Your design looks very nice.

Thanks for sharing the thought process with all of us!

Antony

Super Anarchist
Without asking "what will it cost", have you figured out an estimated percentage savings, on the hull construction alone, by going to the flat panels? With only a 1% increase in wetted surface, any significant savings, along with the simplified building technique, could be interesting.
I the Marblehead area we have an older hard chined boat named "Five-Ply" built out of..well I guess it's obvious, but i've always admired its simplicity. Your design looks very nice.

Thanks for sharing the thought process with all of us!
No we haven't yet got a hard number on the cost differential. However, we'll probably have a good idea in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

ab

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Very interesting. I have always had a soft spot for hard chine boats. I am with all the other runnner naysayers though. If there was one thing I could change on the Ross 40, it would be a different rig with no-runners and swept back spreaders.

_DB

Anarchist
LA
Interesting question. We looked at the Sydney 41. However, I recall that they are not quick in long runs offshore, downwind. They are relatively heavy at 14k+. Yes, they are a great boat, but they are a great 1992 boat. Frankly, I didn't want another 10 year old boat that was not really good for Transpac. I felt the Ross 40 and Santa Cruz 40 were more of a direction in which I wanted to head...reasonably light and comfortable.

So why not just put a new deck, keel and interior on your ilC 40? A strip built deck and interior would be easy.

Bieker did the same thing with Rocket Science the Riptide 55 he designed many years ago - carbon pre-fab panels tabbed together was to keep the costs low. Of course the costs got outta hand during the build....

The boat had a short rig and never really lived up to expectations... Sailed on it a few times and it was comfortable and relatively fast, but would have liked to see what she could do with the taller rig...

poopie pants

Super Anarchist
the Bu
you said you looked at the schock 40

will this boat have a cant keel?

cant wait to see the local/regional PHRFer board mess another one up when you get done

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Antony,

Awesome project, have fun and keep us posted.

My kayak is a hard chine boat whereas my wife’s has a rounded hull and yep definitely more initial stability with the hard chine boat. We have an Antrim 27 and not only is the boat just a blast to sail there are a lot of nice design elements. You are going to end up with one sweet ride and as stated Jim Antrim designs will be fast that is for sure.