It happened again

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Yesterday I met a buddy on his dock to give him some leftover kit that I have no use for. He let me in the gate and went to his boat.   We chatted for a while, I gave him the goods, and he went back to work on his dodger.  I said goodbye and walked down the dock, just looking at boats. I didn't touch anything, didn't bother anybody.  I just looked at boats.

Since I was a kid, I loved doing this. As  kid I'd get on the docks and lie on my stomach and look at the sealife growing on the floats. No kidding, those experiences went a long way towards defining my college major and subsequent couple of jobs after college, not to mention graduate school. Nobody bothered me then, and for decades afterwards, nobody raised a fuss if I walked the docks and didn't touch anything or hassle anybody.

For the fourth time, now...some guy who I assume owned a boat in the marina, came charging down the docks, pissed and angry and demanded to know why I was there. Every one of these people have thrown a fit, taking videos with  cell phones and threatening to call the police until I left. This has now happened in three different marinas, four different times in the past two years.

What's changed?  Do I even want to be a part of this new mindset?  I think I'm glad I'm backing away from the whole thing, and dialing back my involvement with the sport.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I know that some marinas have theft problems. Alameda Marina had real problems, back when there was actually some dry storage there. If it happened once, I wouldn't think twice about it....but this is, honestly the fourth time ,maybe in 18 months, not two years.  Not only that but I haven't even been on any marinas dock since August, when I sold my S2.   Seriously, WTF?  I don't think my persona screams "CRIMINAL"...you know?

Maybe it's just the SF Bay Area. Maybe the boat owner population is getting older and paranoid. Maybe we're all just fucked.  I don't get it, but I don't want to deal with it.

weightless

Super Anarchist
I don't think it's just you or just marinas. FUD is the theme of 21st century America. "Everybody" is buying and selling it. 

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
It is hyper easy to diffuse that situation. You simply respond to Mr. Karen Panic with, "I'm a guest of Mr. Buddy O'Mine in slip B17. My name is Steve."

By attaching a real name and a real slip number to the situation, Karen has the means to vet your innocence.

P.S. the general population is generally more paranoid. It is stupid that I have to compensate for it, but I make a point to dress like a "yachtsman" -- whatever that is -- when I go around marinas, boatyards, yacht clubs, etc. By looking like the locals, you set their paranoid asses at ease.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
It only happened to me once here - coincidentally in probably the shittiest marina in the city - Deep Cove.

It was the wife of the owner.

I was there to view a potential purchase and was walking the docks on my way back to the car - she really had her nose out of joint that I wasn't leaving by the most direct route and at full gallop.

I don't cater to Karens and Kyles. In the cases you mentioned, I'd just ask them "who are you and what business is it of yours?" and start videoing them.

It also happened once in S.F. when we were buying the Columbia 43 - stopped to admire a boat on the way to ours. All of a sudden someones yelling from the shore 200' away - "what are you doing" etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
If it was one person, then...OK. Fine. Dipshits, they exist.  Kyles and Karens, sure.     But FOUR people in the past not-very-long? This isn't an aberration, it's a pattern.

There are plenty of nice folks around, too. I mean, several people were on the dock who did NOT throw a hissy fit. The same goes for the other times. But something that never happened, for decades, has now happened four times in a short span of time and it's bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Perhaps an unfortunate consequence of marina theft but I don't understand people getting all shitty about it.  I will ask people in our marina if they are members of guests of members if I don't know them.  If they aren't I just keep a close eye on them. 

We had a 40' powerboat stolen from our marina recently.  No doubt someone let them in the gate and didn't adequately challenge them.  The boat was run aground with some minor damage and then left tied up at the civic marina.

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
Maine
This is broader than marina life. A couple of weeks ago a guy flashed his pistol atme at Lowes, for the sin of wearing a mask while watching him berate an employee. Things are strange. 

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
So......when confronted, what did you say? Did you tell him you're one of the Nuvven brothers or....?

Try shaving, get a "regular boy's cut", wear a collared shirt & ditch the sandals. I don't know you but if you look like a looter expect to get treated like one.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
This is broader than marina life. A couple of weeks ago a guy flashed his pistol atme at Lowes, for the sin of wearing a mask while watching him berate an employee. Things are strange. 
Assuming you weren’t a fast draw artist, I hope you called the police for his threatening to kill you.   

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
Maine
None of the above. He didn't draw it, just flipped his coat. Couldnt have convicted him. I got my drill bit and retreated. But the social contract is pretty frayed. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Luckily I live in a sane and civilized country so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing.