I've been living on a Catalina 22 for 6 months and its pretty okay.

Coastal_Fox

New England
FTFY

LOL.
Using acronyms rather than spending a second to just type out the words really ruins your credibility.

When I first moved to this country in 1985 from Europe, by boat btw, I lived on a Columbia 22 that was also the instruction boat for the club I worked for.

It sucked balls!
But why though?

Why are you living on a Catalina 22, who says you are clean, and how big is your dog?
I live on it because I found that having an entire house was taking up too much of my time and money and it was unnecessary and wasted space. I do ^_^ and shes about 35lbs. Shes basically a corgi on stilts.

The C22 was the best and newest hull i could find, that was trailerable, that had a fixed keel, and was in my price range. It also allows me to maintain it very well without a huge expenditure of time and money, and, its honestly more space than i need. Most of my storage compartments remain empty.

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
I live on it because I found that having an entire house was taking up too much of my time and money and it was unnecessary and wasted space. I do ^_^ and shes about 35lbs. Shes basically a corgi on stilts.

The C22 was the best and newest hull i could find, that was trailerable, that had a fixed keel, and was in my price range. It also allows me to maintain it very well without a huge expenditure of time and money, and, its honestly more space than i need. Most of my storage compartments remain empty.
Ah good.

It's a chicken-or-egg thing, but most (for sure not all) of the folks living (not cruising) on very small boats I've encountered are at best eccentric. Stay normal man!

Coastal_Fox

New England
Ah good.

It's a chicken-or-egg thing, but most (for sure not all) of the folks living (not cruising) on very small boats I've encountered are at best eccentric. Stay normal man!
I think I'm past the point of no return on that one haha. I put on a good front though.
Cruising is the goal. I want to take small bites North to NS or south to FL. Id have wanted to do the loop, and the fact that i can step this mast by myself while on board would make it really good for that, but the lack of water in the river is a bit of a hindrance i would think.
I know its not a great choice for long range cruising, but, i assume if i pick and choose my days, and dive into shallow water during the bad ones, i could make some distance.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Id have wanted to do the loop, and the fact that i can step this mast by myself while on board would make it really good for that, but the lack of water in the river is a bit of a hindrance i would think.

There's a variation you could do but you'd have to head to the Great Lakes first. From Chicago (and from my memory 21yrs ago):

Chicago Sanitation Canal ---> Illinois River ---->. Mississippi---->. Ohio---->. Kentucky----->. Tennessee Tombigbee----->. Mobile

From Mobile hop along the coast to Ft Myers and then cut across to Stuart. Did this in '01 on a 54' Carver that cruised at 23kts. IIRC, it took us 8 days, you would want to plan a couple of months.

Coastal_Fox

New England
There's a variation you could do but you'd have to head to the Great Lakes first. From Chicago (and from my memory 21yrs ago):

Chicago Sanitation Canal ---> Illinois River ---->. Mississippi---->. Ohio---->. Kentucky----->. Tennessee Tombigbee----->. Mobile

From Mobile hop along the coast to Ft Myers and then cut across to Stuart. Did this in '01 on a 54' Carver that cruised at 23kts. IIRC, it took us 8 days, you would want to plan a couple of months.
Oh. Yeah? I haven't really looked into alternative routes yet. Im still a while away from attempting something like that i think haha. But i am banking on about a year and a half to complete it, and that includes seeing friends along the route and stuff too.
Thanks for the info! I'll do some research. But, hopefully for just the sake of... everything.. the water levels just return to normal before i end up shoving off.

Coastal_Fox

New England
I'm scared to move to the marina where all the live aboards are consolidated, because its crowded, and they all have fuggin ships and im over here fuckin around on my little dinghy.
I feel like i will like, lower the property value.. you know what i mean? haha.
I dont want to be that guy. This works great for me, but like, i def feel self conscious. >.>

Idk if im going to be asked to leave or not, I was suppose to leave the spot im at on the 1st of november, but, ive been just ducking under the radar? I mean that cant be true, im literally only one of 3 boats still in the water haha. Maybe because i try to be helpful they are letting me slide? Idk.

But one thing is for sure, i dont want to be a burden to anyone... thats half the reason im living the way i am in the first place.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Cruised on small boats up the inside passage when I was young in a 26' Thunderbird, and again in the late 90s in a Ranger 23. It can be done singly or doublehanded. Lived aboard a CT 41 in the mid to late 70s with my wife and two oldest when they were toddlers, if I had to do it again it'd be a bigger boat.

008c.JPG

002e.JPG

001b.JPG

f1-009.jpg

f2.jpg

f1-011.jpg

PAPOOSE-007.jpg

PrincessLouisaInlet.jpg

ChatterboxFalls3.bjpg.JPG

MalibuClubb.JPG

Last edited:

Coastal_Fox

New England
Cruised on small boats up the inside passage when I was young in a 26' Thunderbird, and again in the late 90s in a Ranger 23. It can be done singly or doublehanded. Lived aboard a CT 41 in the mid to late 70s with my wife and two oldest when they were toddlers, if I had to do it again it'd be a bigger boat.

View attachment 559205

View attachment 559207

View attachment 559208

View attachment 559209

View attachment 559211

View attachment 559212

View attachment 559214

View attachment 559228

View attachment 559229

View attachment 559230
This looks super comfy and these shots are really great. Where in the world are those cliffs? Wonderful scenery.
>If I did it again
Amazing that you did it at all! What a wonderful experience it must have been.

You're tardy to the party.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Not at all. I remarked about your lack of knowledge and boating nomenclature previously. That "haha" bit is a nervous tic to cover for the lack of responses from others when you say some ignorant thing. Or, it could be Tourette's.

Latest posts