J/100

Yaz

Super Anarchist
It looks like a nice boat for a day sail around the bay, but I can't see people buying it for serious racing or cruising, especially without lifelines. It seems to suit it's design goals, but overall it looks like a sleek but rather useless boat. "Class Rules restrict one-design racing sails to main & jib" - you gotta be kidding me. No kite of any kind for racing OD?!?

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
We had a good thread about the J100 when it was announced. I would set up a link but the computer that I am posting from does not show address bars.

Lifelines are an option as well as interior options that allow the boat to be cruised. This is really a sailboat version of the Hinckley Picnic boat when it comes to cruising. Very easy to use so it should rack up serious hours vice sitting at the dock. Check out the available options on the J100 site under "Specifications"

The O/D rules are never really written in stone when it comes to Spin or non spin. If the majority of owners want the A sail then it will happen!

Ragbag:

I agree, did they rig the A sail incorrectly because it does appear to have the sheet going between the A sail and the Jib roller Furling? ouch...

I was at the Annapolis Boat show last fall and the last time that I had been to that show was when the O'day 28 was launched! The boats had changed but it seems that the people attending the show and seriously looking at the boats have not. I would guess that the average age of the attendees was at least 60. There was not a lot of boats that I thought hit this demographic and it showed on the faces of many attendees. The J100 really hits a home run because it appears that it only takes two people to pleasure sail or race this boat.

- Low freeboard - No jumping off to tie the boat to the Dock. Just reach over.

- Code zero/ A-sail and Jib - Never leave the cockpit. Actually with the long cockpit all a person has to do is stand up to tie down the main. Even to put out the bumpers can be done from the cockpit

-Racing - I would guess that two retirees could easily race this boat with no problem. Just you and your buddy or a Grand Kid.

- Jboats has announced last month that 25 hulls had been sold. I do not know if those have buyers or are Dealer Spec boats but I would not be surprised at all if by this time next year we see 100+ out the door.

-Price - I would guess that loaded this boat is around $160K which is a lot better then the other proposed large "Day sailors"

I believe that the Engine is the Volvo 2020 2 cylinder. This engine is a lot smoother than the single cylinder Yanmar and has fresh water cooling standard. However there is a 50 pound weight penalty.

I know that 99% of you are going to freak out at this next statement but there is one additional option that I would want if I was a JBoat Salesman - ..A bigger head or a light weight Vaccu Flush type. I know..not SA fodder but to sell a new boat that costs several times what a Used boat in great shape costs you got to have a bunch of reasons to get the customer to cough up the extra $$$.

I havn't read through all of the specs but the only thing other than "Ragbags" observation that stands out is that it is going to be tough to get around the Dodger and winch to get to the fordeck.

Anyways "Tern" was registered on the Charleston Ocean Racing Association Website so if you are really interested in results bookmark it as we may see "Tern" and its preliminary PHRF rating re-posted.

Charleston Ocean Racing Association

I am of the opinion that regardless of age there is a market for Sailboats that greatly reduce the need for crew and are able to launch and retrieve some form of Spinnaker with only two average people on board. So in the next few years this could be a boat to watch as a one design class.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingman

Seattle
I noticed this on the J-boat site:

With minimal added effort you can turbo-charge the light-air offwind performance by adding a Code Zero furler with large rollable overlapping headsail (as shown below).

So the initial boat in the initial photo shoot has an oversized headsail! Looks like the boat is underpowered. Putting an overlapping headsail on this boat just does not make sense. Kind of ticks me off.

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
I noticed this on the J-boat site: 
With minimal added effort you can turbo-charge the light-air offwind performance by adding a Code Zero furler with large rollable overlapping headsail (as shown below). 

So the initial boat in the initial photo shoot has an oversized headsail!   Looks like the boat is underpowered.   Putting an overlapping headsail on this boat just does not make sense.   Kind of ticks me off.
I think that Jboats is referring to the option of a roller furling A-sail similar to what was shown in the earlier thread.... Code 0 is somewhat misleading. The Jib should be just slightly less than 100% so that it can use the Hoyt boom.

Or am I wrong or not understanding something here?...

(Came back to add This) Looking at "Tern" again I see a roller furling device ahead of the Jib roller furling in one picture. But is this the A sail that we see being flown? The A-Sail appears to be "Tacked On" Is this actually a Code 0 that is not shown being unfurled?

Last edited by a moderator:

wingman

Seattle
No, if your read the press release. The standard jib could be self tacking on a Hoyt jib boom. In the photos on the intro page they are using an overlapping headsail - it could not be rigged up on a self tacking Hoyt jib boom. Bottom line is that it is pretty bone-headed to show a boat in it's initial press release in a non-standard condition - unless it was underpowered. Or you think the customer is stupid.

From the JBoat site:

The normal daysailing mode is mainsail on slides with roller-furling jib, which can be conventionally rigged with sheets running to winches on both sides of the cockpit, or with the optional Removable Hoyt Self-Tacking Jib Boom system. With minimal added effort you can turbo-charge the light-air offwind performance by adding a Code Zero furler with large rollable overlapping headsail (as shown below).

But then again - further proof that this company is run by the marketing people and not people who sail -

Two keel configurations are available, standard 5.5’ and optional shoal keel of 4.5’

Or maybe all the good people went to Gunboat?

Yaz

Super Anarchist
I still find it hard to believe that alot of people would want to pay $160,000+ for this boat so that they can do a little daysailing. The over 60 crowd does not want to sail in a wet (low freeboard) boat with a tiller and no standing head room. The Hinckley picnic boat is in a whole different league than the J100 - absolutely no comparison. Only time will tell if the J100 is as useless as it first seems to be, but at least it's a good looker.

Yaz

Super Anarchist
I was going by what Kent figured, as I have not seen any firm pricing info for this boat first hand.

ragbag

Anarchist
Where did U guys get the $160K for that boat.I thought it was going to be around $100K.It that case my 2000 105 just went up in value!!
I think the sailaway price was advertised as around $120K but that number always tends to be on the low side. One idea whose time has come is a furling kite as the Open50s/60s have had but not seen on production boats (as far as I know). I have seen them used on Ocean Planet and I think it is a interesting concept for short handing. Won't work for your big light air running sails but will work for the smaller straight leech/hot angle reaching kites. And we use those plenty. Be nice to have one of those rolled up, ready to use. Be a fast sail change, too.

JoeS

Not sure about how accurate this is (briefly talked to someone at North Sails Race Week who had priced one). Anyway, they said about $115K with sails.

Yaz

Super Anarchist
The Picnic Boat is a high end traditional looking boat that is very luxurious for what it is. It is akin to a Bentley. The J100 is an average quality boat with no accomodations that more resembles a Honda Accord. Worlds apart.

The astounding thing about the J100 is that a sprit is not offered. Class rules say no flying sails. For PH and cruising you can have an assymetric tacked to the bow or a symmetric spinnaker on a pole. Huh? Isn't the whole J shtick based upon the premise that a sprit makes flying sails easy to handle? Generally speaking, I like J boats, but this model's place in the market confuses me. It will either be a big hit or a total bust.

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
Sorry for the confusion!

-$160K is based on an assumed base price of 125k I am sure that the first boats are less and I hope that they can offer the boat at as low as a price as possible. Also 160K represents my guess at a sail away boat fully loaded. This includes all or nearly all of the options to make the boat attractive for two people to overnight on. I am sure that a base boat with two sails will be fine for most of the buyers. While 160K is too much for me and the vast majority of Sailors there is a market for boats of this type and the price of 160K is appealing to those who may not want a Catalina, Beneteau, Hunter etc. The target customer may be someone who would consider a powerboat or a sailboat. Someone who would not hesitate at that price.

- Hinckley Picnic Boat - I was not trying to compare the price or presumed luxury of the Hinckley but rather the similarities of ease of use and the amount of hours we have seen put on the Picnic boats by their owners. The Picnic boat does not have very good top speed or for that matter get great mileage. Further it has very little room aboard and is fairly useless for fishing. The Picnic boat sleeps two, has a head and kind of has a galley. The same idea of offering a nice looking boat, that two people can spend the night on and has nice but not eye opening performance applies for the J 100. If the Code Zero or an A -sail that can be rolled is offered then we have the comparison of the Jet drive on the Hinckley.

Bottom line is lets revisit this thread a year from now and see just how many J100's J Boats has firm orders for. My guess is that with the boats that they will have delivered and have firm orders for the tally should be around 100. If I was a J dealer I would be checking out options on how to customize this boat. Also of the boats that we tend to display on SA the J100 is in my humble, amateur opinion one of the easiest to sell boats that we have seen in a long time even at a TOP PRICE of 160K delivered.